This is the ultimate bare essentials back country side dish, or in a pinch a complete meal. With nothing more than a couple of dry ingredients you can create a dish that is filling, healthy and full of fiber and protein from the nuts and seeds.
1 cup of couscous
1 chicken stock cube (optional)
1 teaspoon olive oil
½ cup mixed nuts, seeds and dried fruit
1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice
- Bring 1 cup of water to the boil with stock cube. Add couscous, remove from heat. Quickly stir through oil and cover with a lid or plate. Stand for 5 minutes to rehydrate.
- Fluff couscous with a fork and check seasoning, adding salt and pepper if needed. Transfer to a serving bowl or plate.
- Stir through nut mix and vinegar, divide between plates as a side or eat as a meal.
Serves 2 as a side or 1 as a meal
- Use trail mix or whatever dried nuts and fruit you on hand have as snacks
- Omit chicken stock for a vegetarian meal or side
- Add chicken, grilled meat or fish as a quick and tasty meal
- Add finely chopped red onion after re-hydrating if you have some available
- Lemon, lime or any light-coloured vinegar can be used to dress the couscous
- Replace stock cube with 1 teaspoon of your favourite spice blend to mix up the flavours