“2010 Forever West” Featuring The Best Of The West On Big Trailies

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DockingPilot, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have to rate your riding photography as probably some of the best seen here on ADVrider. Sure it helps to have a great camera but you also need an eye for it. It's easy to get caught up in the ride and forget about shooting pictures which takes time and thought. Truly inspirational!:0-0

[​IMG]
  2. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Today we will hit the halfway mark of the route in Rangely Colorado, around 1,300 miles.
    [​IMG]

After a good nights sleep we pack the bikes and head for Yampa down the road for breakfast at Peggys Diner. Cool place ha ? Dirt roads, even on main street. I doubt life could get any quieter, simpler or better than right here in Yampa.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the most delicious eggs and bacon from Peggy, we head out. Today the landscape, never failing to awe us, will change again. Dennis is long underway from Rawlins enroute to intersect us somewhere along todays route.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We top off our tanks in Meeker. John in front of the Meeker Hotel. Teddy Roosevelt stayed here.
    [​IMG]

The terrain changes suddenly. And will change even more today as we go on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only time Mikes precious GSA would kiss the floor.
    [​IMG]

We are close now ro Rangely. About 5 miles outside of the town I'm relaxing on the bike since we are on blacktop when this nut comes running out of the brush with his pants below his knees waving his hands. My imeadiate thought is, this nut wants to rape someone, anyone ! :huh
    It was Dennis ! :clap:clap He was heeding the call of nature when he heard our bikes approaching quickly and took action.
    So, all of us back together, the Husky running in top form. We head into Rangley for fuel and lunch.
    [​IMG]

When I return, the long but spectacular Yampa Bench Rd takes us deep into Echo Park.
    [​IMG]
  3. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    To be honest, you havent seen anything yet. Wait until we get into Utah and the area of the Silver Island Mountains later on ! :thumb
  4. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    After lunch we top off the fuel tanks. All of them. We also get provisions like food and beer. We have about 80 miles to ride before we get to Echo Park if I remember correctly. We should be there fairly early in the afternoon which is great. We plan to setup camp, kick back and explore the place.

Not to far outside of Rangely. Do you know the difference between a National Park and a National Monument ? A National Monument, unlike a National Park cannot be developed at all. Teton had places to eat and hotels. This place would have nothing like that.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We ride the Yampa Bench Rd. This road twists and turns through the canyons of the Yampa Bench. Another place you would not want to walk out of as it takes us deep into the wilderness. This area was remote and void of human activity, except for ourselves of course.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dennis: "Duane and I rode up this little side trail to get a great view of the canyon floor down below.
    [​IMG]

A sweeping view of the canyon floor below. This is where John Wesley Powell explored this unmapped region of North America in 1869.
    [​IMG]

We would be camping on that river tonight.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Excellent weather still with us.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Millions of years of time etched into these layers of sandstone.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still riding toward Echo Park
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Petroglyphs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I come back, we spend an unforgettable night on the banks of the Green River at this place John Wesley Powel on his 1869 expedition appropriately named, Echo Park.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    Hello Frank. :wave

Your Ride Report is making me crazy.
    All those wonderful places, all so close to me, that I can't ride because it's winter now.

Your ride in Dinosaur National Monument is an example of this.
    I was out there two years ago. But I was on my overloaded GSA, and could only look down into that valley from the paved Loop Road on the bluff above.

I was here:
    [​IMG]

Looking down into the valley below where you guys rode.
    [​IMG]

and wishing I was down there. :(:

Oh well. I hope to explore that area this summer.

Thanks for the Ride Report. :clap

Q~
  6. ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for warming up my winter with the amazing scenery and inspiring RR.:freaky
  7. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Hey Edward !
    Readers, Edward will make his debut at the end of this report with a very cool offer for us to tour Klim Headquaters in Idaho ! :clap
  8. 10Cup

10Cup Long timer

Oddometer:
    Frank,
    Best ride report going, thank you for sharing the ride and the stunning pictures. Loved every minute of it and have read and reread it many times.

The Klim tour would be great too! Plan on being out that way come September :thumb

All the best
  9. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Thank you 10 ! Glad your enjoying it my friend. Some really good stuff yet to come. :thumb
  10. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    and why did the se run out of gas?
  11. Lastcard

Lastcard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any of you guys want to adopt a Brit stuck in the overcrowded UK?:D

Fantastic ride report. :clap:ricky:ricky
  12. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Hi Mate,
    Well we were never quite sure why the Super Enduro injested fuel like a drunken sailor that day. Bruce is a AA rider even now at his age, and I thought maybe he had a heavy right hand that afternoon, but no it wasn't that. After that fill up she went right back to her normal 37mpg and he was good for the rest of the trip. He would need it too in the upcoming Pony Express and Trans Con RR segments ! :1drink
  13. kneesels

kneesels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thoroughly enjoying your RR. Thanks for going to all the effort of putting this together. An amazing country we have. Also have enjoyed supporting input from the "Crew"
  14. Gunner45

Gunner45 Out on the trail

Oddometer:
    Hey there DockingPilot

Thanks for taking us along on your adventure. I love epic historic rides. I have done the Pony Express and Trans Con RR sections, and am looing forward to your report. In fact my avatar is from our ride on the Pony Express secion.

Gunner45
  15. 2laneblacktop

2laneblacktop Tarmac

Oddometer:
    Most Excellent Report !
  16. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Sorry mate, I clicked on the wrong post, your answer about the SE is above.
  17. Greenflyfarmer

Greenflyfarmer I'm better now.

Oddometer:
    Really loving this report. I passed up the Dino park once before. I bet I don't pass it up again. Thanks for a wonderful couple of evenings of reading.
  18. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    All the names John Wesley Powell gave to the major canyons on the Green and Colorado in 1869 and 1870, have stuck. He had a flair for the picturesque, and his descriptive terms are sometimes extremely apt as in Split Mountain Canyon, Flaming Gorge, Echo Park and the Vermillion Cliffs. Once we arrived in Echo Park, quite some distance traveled to get there, we knew right away why he named it that.
    This was the sight we were greeted with. Fellas, don't die before you had a chance to adventure ride into this national gem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes Tony Huegel, you really know your stuff. We will absolutley make camp here tonight ! And we did, right at the base of this cliff and with river on the other side, we had the best seats in the lower 48 that night for mother natures nightly show.We'd have a full moon too boot!
    John was the first in and surprised 3 elk that were grazing.
    [​IMG]

After gathering wood for the fire and pitching our tents, it got dark. Very dark. The moon had just begun to rise, although we could not see it due to the magnificant giant monolith across the river to the east, still blocking it. However, we could tell it was rising, because at the top of the cliff we camped against, a very difinitive, bright light was slowing drawing down it's face. Fellas, I cant describe what that was like to see and actually be there. The fresh air, the quiet, the solitude and now mother natures light show against her own movie screen. Incredible. A night none of us will soon forget.
    Note: We have very good photos of this as it happened. But Duane has yet to get them posted. I will have them tonight or tomorrow and will post. They are worth it.

The sun starts to set and the shadows rise.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I inflate my Big Agnes Dual Core and toss it in the Hill'e Solou.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That night after supper, we found a great spot to sit on the river bank and just take it all in. It was hard to do actually. So much to take in at once. Was this real ? Where we really here ?
    Mike is quicky snapped back into reality when he rested his leg in prickly pear ! :eek1 :lol3
    [​IMG]

The next morning the sun is now giving us her show as the moon had done just 10 hours before.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up, we strike the tents and head on out of these canyons and torwards the Utah border ! :1drink
    <object width="425" height="240" ><param name="movie" value="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010102501.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9MTA5MTU3MDU1MCZrPU1ZUDJFJmE9MTM1NTQ3MDVfbjZMemMmdT1Eb2NraW5nUGlsb3Q=" /><embed src="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010102501.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9MTA5MTU3MDU1MCZrPU1ZUDJFJmE9MTM1NTQ3MDVfbjZMemMmdT1Eb2NraW5nUGlsb3Q=" width="425" height="240" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
  19. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:
    Great Stuff Frank! You sure know how to put one of these trips together!:freaky
  20. dogmoon

dogmoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a great picture, this is torture I cant wait to go riding.:thumb