“2010 Forever West” Featuring The Best Of The West On Big Trailies

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DockingPilot, Dec 30, 2010.

1. JustBob

JustBob Uh...who me? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Better yet, how can one come along for real?
  2. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    Yep, coming soon fellas. Here;s a couple of pics to tide ya over:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. zeegman

zeegman Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Know exactly what you mean. We did the same thing this year and for us the WBDR was a bit of a bummer due to bad weather (we went in June - much too early) and blocked passes due to snow. A lot of our trip looked like that picture you have of the coast socked in with fog.

To make it interesting we went to BC for some awesome scenery and riding along the Frasier River Canyon and Hells Canyon in Oregon for some more.

This New Year I will be looking forward to doing Utah Back Road Discovery Route with a stop in Colorado for the KTM rally ( in Septemeber) to see the high mountain passes.

Mike Z
  4. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    September is mo' betta. Good call, Zeegman.
  5. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Um, those pics suggest an awesome ride und report, DP. Me no see problem-o.
  6. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Bemiiten, I'm thinking that evil-looking carnivorous machine saw lunch rolling by.
  7. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lefty, sorry to be long getting back to you but I just now noticed the question. You just got some good advice, but I think the long downhill after Echo Park will be challenging for two up, at least for most folks. Lots of loose rocks there. Some of the two track above Rawlins, as I mentioned before, is sandy but could be ridden two up. I don't remember any deep sand, or at least no more than short sections. There are a lot of good gravel roads in that area too, and if you didn't want to ride those dim trails it would be easy to re-route via GPS. The rest should be easy, and great fun with a passenger.

We ran it starting September 3, and took exactly 13 days, as did Docking Pilot. Temps were very good; warm days, cool mornings, a few cold nights. A good sleeping bag would be fine. I think we saw frost once, so at least once at or below freezing. That was up high. The morning after leaving Oak Creek, CO was pretty cold too, and I was happy to stop early for breakfast. By the time we finished that, all was just fine.

Enjoy!

Ken
  8. 10Cup

10Cup Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of the best rides I have ever done! Loved it and yeah a zero degree bag is a must. Cozy then. I may ride it again the other way around. It's that good.:deal
  9. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    10cup ... SpearMotorSports.com linky no worky.
  10. johnpitts01

johnpitts01 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gotta chime in on all the chatter.
    If you are going to do an ADV ride, this is the one.
    This ride has everything.

Only problem; if you do this ride first nothing will compare.

JB
  11. 10Cup

10Cup Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, my Son is putting up a fresh site, once done I'll get it corrected. Thanks Tony.
  12. patrkbukly

patrkbukly Life at 10,000 feet Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whats the fuel range on the Allied moving vans on page 1 that shipped the bikes on the pallets?

Just wondering?
  13. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Enough to get em there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. patrkbukly

patrkbukly Life at 10,000 feet Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's Christmas in Miami, 72 degrees and sunny his morning and all I can think about is that damn beautiful trip.
  15. kimzx1000r

kimzx1000r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got sucked right in! Great trip, great write up! Like all the rest wish I had been there! I have got to go west! Thanks for the history and the photos!
  16. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:

Zeegman, that was a great video! Thanks for posting it. I could see it was steep because of the trees. You did great wrasslin' the bars through the silt at the bottom too! I hate it when there are big ruts under that stuff that grab your wheel. Good thing was dry because that road looks like it would make for some troublesome mud. We never did that part of the trip because we continued south on the CDR. "Parting" was definitely soft but we were on small bikes so not really much of a challenge. Might have been a bit of a struggle on a 600lb motorcycle without knobbies, though.

Tried to ride from the route west Echo Park last September, but had a fuel pump failure and by the time I got it resolved, had to skip that part. Maybe try it next September. I bought tracks for it so I should be all set.
  17. zeegman

zeegman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Pantah

Great to hear you will go for it again this year.

IT was a blast going through there.

Was one of the highlights of the trip.

Happy trails

Mike Z
  18. Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly Ride hard, Fall Softly

Oddometer:
    Very rare that I read a RR twice. With the exception of big dogs adventures and Sly on his gold wing which were and still are good.

I usually read these on the I-pad but I am on my third read through on the I-mac because the photography and the history is that good.

Well done to all who made it happen. Stunning, just .........stunning.
  19. Sir Dave

Sir Dave Big Dave

Oddometer:
    Forever West Crew,
    WOW..can't wait to make this ride. Got the tracks from Tony along with a nice long phone conversation with him. What a great guy...I was just in awe for the entire conversation. I am the Docking Pilot of our crew (the Rat Pack), we have been riding together for over 13 years, we recently have gotten into the adventure end of the sport. All six of us ride GS/GSA's with one KLR. We will be leaving 9/7/2013 from Eagle Colorado. I plan to start getting into the details as soon as work lets me have a chance to catch my breath. Have a few questions or better yet would love to get your opinions..
    1. Group size...y'all had 6 right?...that is the size of our base group...if we were 8 (2 want to join in) would that pose a problem?
    2. Tires...we all plan to run fresh TKC front and rear...or maybe TKC front and Heindenau (sp?) rear.
    3. Any probs on the ride that came up?
    4. If you had to cut a section of the ride out to allow for time....what would that be?
    Guys...just want to say thanks to all of you in advance for your wonderful documentation and the spirit you had and continue to share with all of us.....and also to give you a bit of a cussin cause this damn ride of yours has gripped my soul and it won't let go....but as of 9/2013 I'm there!!
    RIde Safe
    Dave
    Douglass, TX
  20. Ontario GS

Ontario GS Budding Adv. Traveler

Oddometer:
    Ditto, Sir Dave! We have a group meeting in Idaho Falls (3) around the 25th of August and plan to take our time doing the loop. Tony has been just excellent in answering our questions. It's now become difficult to stay focused at work as I day-dream about this adventure.