“2010 Forever West” Featuring The Best Of The West On Big Trailies

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DockingPilot, Dec 30, 2010.

1. FBR

FBR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR, and better pictures! Thank You!
  2. 5 speed

5 speed Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sand picture makes a certain orifice pucker when thinking about crossing on a big bike, doesnt it? :rofl

By the way, I two have read this one report about 5 times and now am hoping to do a similar trip and have been in touch with Tony. We appreciate you guys!
  3. redwards

redwards n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks like an amazing adventure! Wondering if anyone wished they were on a different bike? R1200gs too big? F800gs just right? Thoughts? Could/would a 650 Vstrom do the trick? Thanks!
  4. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:

Nope. All bikes were fine. You can pm me for details.
  5. ieatcrayons

ieatcrayons Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i second everyone one else who has said what a great trip report this is. i will also ask if you take another trip post a link to it here that way i can follow it also! =)
  6. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845500
    In developing what was then called Forever West for DP and his group in 2009-2010, I made multiple extended trips to South Pass, where I'd worked on construction of the highway's Sweetwater River bridge when my wife and I lived in Lander.

The purposes were to find new routing for DP's group on the South Pass segment; pre-run and photograph those segments as well as Great Divide Route/CDT segments; record waypoints and live tracks; get photos for them in advance of their trip; scout a better way to gas at Farson; and to help DP obtain permission from landowners for the group to cross private land. (Crossing that private land turned out to be unnecessary, and is the inferior way, anyway.)

I didn't make use of Cannonshot's work on South Pass, where I have a long history and which I visit several times a year; nor does Heart of the West ADV Route, the contemporary progeny of FW. If FW did so, that's news to me. (Parting of the Ways is a well-known and signed historic site.)

H.o.W., for riders who are considering it, omits the old South Pass track across private land that I recorded -- with the landowners' permission -- for DP's group.

H.o.W. instead takes travelers across South Pass on remote, authentic Oregon Trail segments across public lands. You've no concern about trespassing. And you can be sure I was there ...
  7. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    This is now on my short list. I'm been looking for something epic that I can maybe share with family and doesn't require a month to do. I have a few riding friends that are in the same stage of life that I am and using all of our vacation time away from wife and children isn't reasonable. It's still a year or two out but... I have a couple of questions. I'm assuming from the description and pictures that a well set up 650 Vstrom should be more than capable of making this trip? Another thought was that I have a family with two younger children and don't make tons of money or have endless amounts of vacation time. This seems like something I could include everyone in and also turn it into a history lesson. As far as 4 wheel travel is there any reason that a newer Subaru Outback shouldn't be able to make it through most of this if my wife and kids were traveling along ahead or behind with minimal rerouting if necessary?
  8. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    Yes. It could do it as long as it's dry. The ground that is. I own a Forester so I know it's capabilities. Just pm me or email me (nydockingpilot at gee mail dot com ) for any further info you may want.
    Frank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    Thanks Frank! I'll get in touch once I do a little more planning. Seems like you understand exactly what I'm thinking about doing!
  10. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap Don't know how I missed this report first time around???? Amazing views of the West! Some of the places brought back fond memories of some of my travels. touching parts of these famous trails here and there. At times, just sitting by a small campfire, pondering on the explorers of old. How many remains scattered about these trails without a trace. Being a slave to my passion for traveling solo and on the roads less traveled. I used extreme caution.

Thanks for all the work and time to share this journey. I know, that also, is very time consuming:clap:clap:clap.
  11. DockingPilot

Oddometer:

12. bigborefan

bigborefan Making new friends

Oddometer:
    Kicking this around for fall 2015. Last few years life has conspired against me for any big rides.

I can take a 950 ADV or a 950 SE. I really, really like my SE.

My buddy has a 990 ADV, but he really doesn't like it on more challenging stuff. He's a good rider, but just doesn't like the 990 on gravel. It's just not comfortable to him. I have told him from what I can tell this trip is a very, very big bike friendly trip, assuming it's not muddy? Am I correct in that?

Also, what temps could one expect on this trip? We would like to camp a few nights, then get a room every third night or so. I assume a wide range of temps? Hotel reservations are highly recommended I assume?

Our plan would be to trailer out to CO, jump on the loop there. We could commit 12 days to the ride. I think 14 is recommended. My thought is we do a few long days to make up some time.

Thoughts, suggestions?
  13. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    A lot of variables. I'll go over it all with you. Email me at Nydockingpilot at g mail dot com

14. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm sure we'd all like to hear that discussion.
  15. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bbf

Time of year will greatly affect weather.

I have to work around Red Bud MotoGp and Crawfordsville....

Sigh

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
  16. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Late summer / fall is your best bet.

17. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  18. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Lol
    Just that we prefer sept. Out there For the best chances of dry weather.
    Also yes big bikes are doable. We had a GSA loaded to the gills and he had no issues. But he is a good rider.
    Let's see what else. …
    We going back out to Idaho this Sept. For a Idaho/Montana 2 week trip which looks like it could be the best ever yet !

19. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whatever Tony put together for you Frank will be epic.
  20. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    This is something else we put together ourselves. A mix of the IBDR, Big. dogs Idaho tracks and the very best of mine from 06'. Kinda lke the best of the best.