“2010 Forever West” Featuring The Best Of The West On Big Trailies

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DockingPilot, Dec 30, 2010.

1. TxTiger

TxTiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We trailered to Oak Creek Colorado, and stayed at the Oak Creek Motel, where the owner let us park our truck and trailer there for the duration of the ride for $2 a day. Privately owned placed and seems very secure. The rooms were nice and reasonable. Oak Creek is on the Alt 09 tract. So we gassed up and made Dinosaur National Monument the first day, 225 miles and 9 hrs.

Temps did vary, primarily based on elevation. One morning when camping at 10,000 feet, it was 31 degrees, not too bad. I took a zero degree down bag with an R5 pad and got hot when I was fully enclosed. But I would take that again because I hate to be cold.

My advice on the time you can allocate for the ride is to eliminate a tract or so rather than pushing it. It's tough to stay on a time schedule since many variables can effect your time. Weather, road conditions, mechanical issues, etc. We were on the trail for 17 days and did not get to ride the last 3 tracks due to weather. Of the 17 days we stayed in motels 4 or 5 days, and never had an issue getting rooms. We found the state parks nice in that they had running hot and cold water and decent restrooms/showers. I washed my base layers in a soft sided cooler when I showered, and then hung the stuff on a paracord line to dry by camp.

The National Park campsites were ok, more private and remote, generally only had one source of water that gets cut off around the middle of September, but most had nice fire rings and a picnic table.

As DP said, big bikes will do fine, but there were areas where prior rains had made some roads very challenging, regardless of what you were riding. With respect to your friend and not liking gravel, there is a lot of gravel roads you will be on. My bike felt very loose on these as weighted down as I was but you just let it move around under you and get used to it pretty quick. When you got to the deep sandy areas you actually appreciated the gravel.

The muddy areas can be very challenging. Just study Tony's tracts and he highlights the bad areas. I did this plus read every ride report I could to get a feel for the ride. From reading, we knew the area between Rangely and DNM was really bad when wet, with heavy sticky mud that you have to clean off just to keep going. So we would watch the bad areas along with the forecast and plan accordingly.

This is a great ride and it is very doable on just about any DS bike and any rider skill level. You will have a great time.
    Bonnie & Clyde and squidchief like this.
  2. bigborefan

bigborefan Making new friends

Oddometer:
    Thanks TXTiger. All good info.

My buddy likes gravel OK, just not on his 990 ADV. He prefers his DR650 on gravel. I know what he means, my 690 was better ion gravel than my 950SE.
  3. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    BBF is right, before I get tossed under the bus.

A 6'9" 990R is not as much fun on a gravel road as throwing a DR650 around flat track style.

Maybe some different tires will improve it, but it isn't going to shave 100# off the machine.

Hard gravel roads are good, I rode some western Kansas, Eastern Colorado roads that were on the sandy side and they were a challenge on the big bike. Middle of June and solo in the middle of no where probably didn't help my frame of mind.

Looking forward to the possibility of this ride. I am used to covering 4-500 miles in a day. A leisurely pace of site seeing would be a blast.

Lots of sweet photo's in the RR.
  4. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    I too love and would prefer my DR650. ! That bike checks just about every box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. gwhis

gwhis Let's ride

Oddometer:
    :thumb I couldn't agree with you more....I don't miss the F800GS at all.
  6. johnpitts01

johnpitts01 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what I tell Nancy all the time. :rofl

Weapon of choice for me on these rides is WR250R.

I'm not as skilled as my esteemed colleagues and not as strong as Mike on the big GS.

The WR suits me perfectly.

Biggest advantage for me on the WR is my mental outlook. I'm not worried about dropping the bike or how it will handle pretty much any situtation. Just point it and go. If I was on a big bike I'd be constantly worried about dropping the bike. And in the case of a GS or even a KTM 950/990 damaging the thing.

Just dont even think about this stuff when I'm on the WR.

About the only time I even notice the bike's small stature is on the freeway on a long uphill climb. The boys on the big bikes are pretty effortless here. The little WR is struggling to keep up. I'm not struggling to make the climb. Just struggling to do it @ 65+mph.

Smaller is better.:evil
  7. JettPilot

JettPilot ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    Are there GPS tracks available for this route ??? If so, where do we get them ???

Mike
  8. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    From the man Tony Huegel.
    You will get the latest most up to date version.
    You can find him in vendors section.
    "Heart of the West"

eakins likes this.
  9. bigborefan

bigborefan Making new friends

Oddometer:
  10. BrokenHalo

BrokenHalo Squid Racer

Oddometer:
    Man, looks like you all take some epic trips. Is there an application to fill out to become friends with your group? :feelgood
  11. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Lol
    We just finished up another one…

12. BrokenHalo

BrokenHalo Squid Racer

Oddometer:
    I can cook!
  13. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Lol! The most important quality !

14. johnnybgood8

johnnybgood8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice RR!
  15. ViperJustin

ViperJustin Retired HH60G Gunner

Oddometer:
    How did I ever miss this RR?

Epic RR! Just epic!
  16. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Why thank you Justin !

17. PascalM3M5

PascalM3M5 PascalM3M5

Oddometer:
  18. PascalM3M5

PascalM3M5 PascalM3M5

Oddometer:
    Makes you think, long and strong.
  19. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just a head's up. If you are taking this ride. I went into Echo Canyon on Friday. I came in the back way off of highway 40 closer to Craig. There are a lot of stretches that are very deep talc like powder. It was challenging riding on a 1200.
    I also rode down Blue Mountain road. It's in pretty decent shape. I followed a lot of this route with friends four years ago. Best ride ever.

Here's the talc. Just stood the pig back up..
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-p...Bike_059CA648-5DB5-4945-B4B0-AB7B5B8EECBA.jpg

20. hotdogman

hotdogman Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has the GPX file been made available some place. I would really like to have a copy. I want to take a ride like this one 2018.... Thanks for the great info.....