“Adventure Before Dementia” W/The Red Neck Road Worriers

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by artbone, Jun 30, 2014.

1. artbone

artbone Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And so, after another ferry ride, a brief side trip through the Utah Beach battlefield and the beaches of Normandy, we made it to our final goal, the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There were 250,000 people there this year. If you really want to see the race I suggest you spend some serious money and get several grandstand seats in different areas or, better yet, stay home and watch it on TV with the recorder on.
    [​IMG]
    That said, it's great to be there, the atmosphere if electric, and everyone I saw was smiling. We met Eric and his friend from Amsterdam at the Corvette display. Eric is building a 55 Chev Nomad out of a regular 55 station wagon. He also has a 50 Buick and a Nash Metropolitan.
    Can you imagine the problems of getting hot-rod parts in Holland? He had pictures on his phone and his stuff looks very professional. I gave him a card and I hope he gets in touch. He would love to see some of the La Carrera Panamericana stuff from Mexico.

What's for breakfast? Grand Marnier Crepes.
    [​IMG]
    You can see why the Brits hate the French. They're jealous of the French food and the French roads. After a week and a half in the British Isles I’m ready to start a Society for the prevention of Battered Cod. And driving in southern England is awful. There's so much traffic and so many speed cameras it’s a nightmare. We were speaking to an English couple in Le Mans and they said, "We were driving along yesterday (in France) and we were the only car in sight on the road." They said it with such a sense of wonder you could tell it had never happened to them in England.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. artbone

Oddometer:
    We heard that there was a rail workers strike and we might not be able to get back to the airport in Paris but it only delayed us for a day, giving us time to wash the bikes and put them to bed and get our trip home sorted out. The next morning we were at the Saint-Brieuc train station.

[​IMG]

Almost everyone we met was interested in our trip. We had no problem starting conversations. As soon as we opened our mouths people said, "Where are you from?" (Charlie's from Texas and I'm from Georgia so they knew we weren't from "around there." When we told them where we were from and what we were doing we were in for at least a ten minute conversation.
    This lady helped us with the menu when we couldn't figure it out.
    [​IMG]
    Charlie lifting weights.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Four Races in Four Weeks were the excuse for the trip but not the real reason. The real reason was to ride around Europe, eat great food, drink good wine, and share a unique adventure with a friend I've been riding with for forty years.
  3. Jerrykap

Jerrykap Motorbike mishugana

Oddometer:
    You'se guys are da men! You did everything there I want to do...Well planned, shoot from the hip and see what happens, kind of trip. Just showing up means you've won and great things will happen.

Now I know I still have time to live out my dreams too. Thanks

See you soon in Howard Prairie resort for the INOA rally...be prepared for a big hug!

Jer:norton
  4. JoeDee

JoeDee n00b

Oddometer:
    ¡hola Art,
    Excellent ride-up and images to add to the reader's imagination and pleasure!
    Certainly a bucket list item(s?) checked off....and maybe a few items added (as usual for me, 'cause doing a bucket list item just creates more items LOL)

Early morning Coffee (This year's offering - Community Coffee of Baton Rouge LA) as usual (hosted by Joe & Dee for the NWNO's) at the INOA Rally site in the Howard Prairie Resort N. Campground RV-Site #W1.
    hasta más tarde,
    Joe Smith
  5. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like you said, I'm jealous.
  6. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic report! Inspiring on many levels! Love the American can-do approach! That Meccano bike that lapped the IOM looks amazing! Seems as if it was another James May undertaking as part of his "Toy Stories" series. Don't think they ever aired that one in the States, dang it! Would have been fun to watch! Thanks for taking the time to put this all together and let us in on your fun!

:clap
  7. artbone

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving Thursday for Portland. I'll pick up my bike and be in Ashland Monday. Looking forward to seeing you.
  8. dickosaurus

dickosaurus Geezer Coalition Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for a mighty fine ride report- what a trip.
  9. artbone

Oddometer:
    Lord Buckley said, "There's nothing like driving a fine set of wheels at an easy pace."
  10. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap

Great trip report!
  11. simmons1

simmons1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Art it was nice meeting you today at Lake O The Pines.

Rich Simmons

Sent from my Droid

Please excuse any typos
  12. Bear Creek West

Bear Creek West Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Art.
    Great report! Would love to see a rr from SMdA sometime! Give my old man a poke for me.
    West.