“Enjoy,” said Tio Beto, “not everyone gets to see this!”

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Powershouse, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No doubt about it - an RV makes a big difference for a trip like this. The cost is about the same as traveling in a smaller van with fewer people, but having more drivers and the ability to stretch out makes a big difference in the quality of travel. It also provides a great opportunity for bonding. How else can you go from this:
    <table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From Mexico 2009</td></tr></tbody></table>

To this, over the course of a few miles? Good night, John Boy! <table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From Mexico 2009

</td></tr></tbody></table>
  2. kwakbiker

kwakbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking good....more bikes tho please:evil
  3. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Long timer

Oddometer:
    secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
    :razor
    :lurk
  4. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sweet trip, I'm in! I grew up and learned to ride in New Mexico; there's nothing like the desert for a motorcycle trip and this one is on my short list to do before I get too old to ride anymore.

Hi Tony! :D

:hide

Doug
  5. Powershouse

Oddometer:
    <o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="stockticker"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:ApplyBreakingRules/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->

<o:p> </o:p>
    Yeah baby, we’re off to Batopilas! On the way out of Creel there was a traffic stop at the rotary. No badges or patches identifying the folks manning the checkpoint, but they were toting guns, asking questions, and taking pictures of folks. Once past the check point, it was a spirited dash through the paved twisties to the La Bufa turn off.
    <twisty pic=""><table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From Mexico 2009-Batopilas</td></tr></tbody></table>
    The roads down to La Bufa and Batopilas are classic. Death defying drop offs, hair pin turns and the canyon vistas opening up before you. The tension between the gobsmacking beauty unfolding around you and the fear of plunging off a 1,000 ft drop trying to avoid an oncoming truck or a herd of goats – all the while passing memorials to those who lost their focus - always makes for a memorable ride.
    <table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From Mexico 2009-Batopilas</td></tr></tbody></table>
    The mine tailings near La Bufa remind you of why this canyon has been a destination for centuries.
    <table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From Mexico 2009-Batopilas</td></tr></tbody></table>
    We stopped in La Bufa for refrescas, and Arturo held everyone’s attention with stories of his first adventures to this canyon.
    <table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From Mexico 2009-Batopilas</td></tr></tbody></table><o:p></o:p>
    Eventually, we wound our way down to the river then it was into Batopilas, and one of my favorite spots, the courtyard of Juanita’s hotel.
    <table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From Mexico 2009-Batopilas</td></tr></tbody></table><o:p></o:p></twisty>
  6. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:
    You are a brave man, Kevin. Just the thought of bunkin' up with John C. like that gives me the heebie-jeebies. Did you wake up with Cheezy-Puffs in your shorts? Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  7. Powershouse

Oddometer:
    We spent two nights in Batopilas, which provided a chance for us Northerners to thaw our bones while taking in local sights, history and riding opportunities. One thing several of us commented on was that that the town seemed unusually quiet. We certainly didn’t run into many other tourists during our visit.
    Some of the folks ran out to Satevo to visit the mission. A couple of years ago I enjoyed a breakfast with the Padre who was in charge of the restoration of the mission. At that time he had craftsmen restoring the exterior of the building. That work appears to be done and now they are working on the inside spaces.
    We also had a chance to visit the mine museum (next to the police station) and Charlie found a sweet spot to check his email, sitting in the library overlooking the plaza.
    John and I took a ride over to the hacienda ruins and wandered about there for a while. It is definitely a wander about deal as there isn’t any interpretive info to provide insight as to what the buildings were used for. I have a book with a photo that identifies all of the buildings, but I left that behind in the RV.
    One ruin we were able to identify was the communal shitter, a stone outhouse with separate stalls arranged in a circle around a central stack.<o:p></o:p>
    We also encountered some wildlife along the way.
    Dinner in Batopilas was at the restaurant by the upper plaza. Does it have a name? There the hostess whipped up wonderful meals on her woodstove. Richard, your business card is still there, along with a number of other familiar cards.
    Nothing like lounging after a good meal!
    <table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From Mexico 2009-Batopilas</td></tr></tbody></table><o:p></o:p>
  8. Powershouse

Oddometer:
    <o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="State"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:ApplyBreakingRules/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> John and I had stepped over to the Swinging Bridge Bar for michiladas that afternoon. Good stuff. Refreshing. After a while some caballeros showed up, and Tio Beto with some indios, then our friends came by, and the band got set up, and before we knew it there was a party going on. The joint was jumping. The neighborhood kids had climbed the trees next to the bar so that they could watch. John saw them up there and tagged them with his flashlight, only to have the kids pull out their lights to tag him back.
    It isn&#8217;t a party without snacks, eh? Grab some chips can huevos!
    Afterwards we ended up on the roof top patio at Juanita&#8217;s with our new amigos, four teachers from <st1:state><st1:place>Chihuahua</st1:place></st1:state>, while Tio&#8217;s band played at the casa adjacent to the hotel. We&#8217;d also managed to find the after hours beer stop in town and enjoyed the fruits of our labors under the stars. Good times indeed!
    [FONT=&quot]The next day we were off to Ceracahui![/FONT]
  9. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, the part for the broken garage door opener as well as my Turbotax software arrived in the mail today, but duty calls so here is the info.

Due to a relatively late start we didn't get to explore the much discussed shortcut from Sisoguichic to Creel. Maybe next time.

Trip time = 6.5 hours
    Distance = ~179 miles
    The trend was uphill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    As Kevin indicated, here we have one of the best pieces of paved road in the world followed by a pretty entertaining dirt road. On these roads premium tires like the Cheng Shin 858s really shine.:D

Trip time = 5 hours
    Distance = ~84 miles
    The trend was downhill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    The group split up for different trips this day.

Some of us went to Satevo (sa te VO) to see the progress of the restoration. Motomataya and I decided to ride up to the road to Rodeo because we hadn't been that way in a while. We were warned by the locals that the road had deteriorated.

We only took one pic and that was of the easy part. Marty (Motomataya) commented that it was the roughest road he'd seen in Mexico. When Marty says it's a rough road I'm in WAAAY over my head.

[​IMG]

Anyway...
    Trip time = 1.75 hours
    Distance = ~12 miles
    The trend was uphill then downhill.

The 1.75 hours included time spent exploring the church and time spent panting on the road. The blue part was the roughest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tury and Nick decided to ride the Polanco/BuenaVista loop.

That loop is about 75 miles and they took about 7 hours including time spent looking for gas and oil for Lazarus. The route Marty and I took is shown in yellow for comparison.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. *Gravy*

*Gravy* Jedi Loser

Oddometer:
    I'm still with you guys!! Keep it coming - work will still be there when you finish :freaky

I thought I'd quote that, I'm sure it's the first time in recorded history those three words have been used together in a sentence.
  13. Powershouse

Oddometer:
    It was another perfect day in paradise as we set out from Batopilas. Today would be a day of river crossings and mountaintops as we headed to Cerocahui via Tubares and Mesa de Arturo. The river crossing is always a hoot and sometimes a spectacle. This trip the river was low and folks made it across without any mishaps. Someone more tech-savvy then me may be able to post some video, but these pics will give you a sense of the fun:
    Nick on Lazarus
    <table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From Mexico 2009-Cerocahui</td></tr></tbody></table>
    John herding his KLR across
    <table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From Mexico 2009-Cerocahui</td></tr></tbody></table>
    Kevin all wet and shiny
    Arturo on his KLX
    Chuck spotting for Rachel on her DR
    <table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From Mexico 2009-Cerocahui</td></tr></tbody></table><o:p></o:p>
  14. Powershouse

Oddometer:
    Actually the big red mule KLR dug in the rear wheel and threw the chain on a steep, polvo covered, section.
    I was able to get the chain back on and up the hill. There, Arturo showed me how he likes to adjust chains with the swing arm in the most fully extended position and helped me round up some human ballast to compress the suspension.
    <table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From Mexico 2009-Cerocahui</td></tr></tbody></table><o:p></o:p>
  15. Powershouse

Oddometer:
    <o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="date"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:ApplyBreakingRules/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Later in the day we rode up and across Mesa de Arturo. Those piney woods roads were some of my favorite, and quite a contrast to the hot and dusty roads found earlier in the day.
    We passed through quite a bit of mining activity, and as we got close to the mines we had to be careful of truck traffic on the narrow roads.
    It was along this stretch that we came upon two buses that had become stuck in a hairpin turn. The front bus had its front wheels through the apex of the turn, but the rear wheels were on track to go over the inside edge. When I got there the bus driver told me I couldn’t get by and pushed a rock over the edge and tumbling down the mountain to make his point. I got around the outside of the first bus, but had to pass on the inside of the second one – a great opportunity to practice looking where I wanted to go and not target fixating on the precipice. I got by and headed up the road where there were a couple of mining trucks heading down. Looked like things would be stacking up at that turn.
    Did any one get pics of the buses?
    Then it was on to the hotel in Cerocahui where there was general tending to bikes, folks and gear. Somewhere along the way both Craig and Charlie managed to get chased by dogs who bit their boots, but they were both spit out.
    Nothing like a water crossing and mid-trip socks to for cooking up a boot stew!
    In town we stocked up on stuff, but Coons was soundly vetoed on his Cheesy Puff purchase.
    We enjoyed some time around the plaza, and an exploration to the Mission Hotel (the big tourist hotel in town) found that they were having a <st1:date year="2001" day="4" month="2">2-4-1</st1:date> happy hour – Margarita time! We had a wonderful meal back at our hotel, then ambled back to the Mission Hotel for cocktails in the cushy chairs by the fireplace. This was another occasion where it was clear that tourism was way down, we only encountered one couple staying at the tourist hotel.
  16. Powershouse

Oddometer:
    I should probably have mentioned this earlier, but these are not all my pictures. Generally, the blurry ones were taken with my camera, but the crisp and composed pictures were taken by other folks on the trip. :lol3 Rachel worked her techno-magic to compile the pictures together during the return trip. In the process of pulling this report together I haven't kept track of whose photos have been used, but I'm working with files from the whole crew. In most instances it is hard for me to tell for certain who took which picture since they are mixed together, so I don't plan on calling out individual picture credits, but I don't want folks to get the impression that these are all my pictures.

As Jud noted earlier, this was a lawyerless adventure so this is as close as you'll get to a legal disclaimer :deal
  17. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Long timer

Oddometer:
    secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
    :wave manfromthestix!
    :smooch
    May I call you Doug?

Does indeed look to be an excellent RR :thumb no such thing as too old to ride though... :lol3
  18. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    The southern suburbs of Piedras Verdes was the place of the dogs. I thought I was going fast enough, but the dog got a good grip on my boot. I sped up and ultimately the dog decided it was too much work so let go.:D

Trip time = 8.5 hours
    Distance = ~83 miles
    The trend was uphill then downhill. The older boys said "Up and down like a brides nightgown." whatever that means.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Indeed.

Among the male members of our group the youngest was early 40's and the eldest was 68. Three of us are old enough to sign up for medicare.

A few years ago in Temoris I met a couple of gentlemen in their mid 70's who had ridden from Choix through La Reforma.

Tip for senior riders - Medicare doesn't cover you in foreign countries.
  20. Powershouse

Oddometer:
    It was a chilly morning in Cerocahui., but we had a wonderful breakfast to get us started. Ummm, chilaquilles! I was ready to ask our hostess to jump on the bike and run away with me, but someone counseled that she might just say yes.
    Once our belly&#8217;s were full and the frost had melted we were ready to rock and roll to Chinipas. Well, most of us were ready. Nick&#8217;s bike wouldn&#8217;t start. He kicked it, and we tried bump starting it, before we finally admitted there might be a problem. Nick checked for spark &#8211; nope. Tried a new spark plug, but still no spark. Checked the points and found the culprit. Remember those water crossings the day before? Apparently some moisture got in and condensed in the cool morning air. Dried out and freshly gapped with one of Charlie&#8217;s calibrated business cards, the bike roared to life and Nick was back in the game.
    <table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From Mexico 2009-Chinipas</td></tr></tbody></table>
    Riding through Temoris to Chinipas there was a great deal of mining activities. These towns are booming. The roads in this stretch have all been improved, heck some of them even have guard rails. We stopped in Temoris for a burrito/burger/torta break just as a funeral procession rolled in and gridlocked the town. Al, Nick and I rode up to check out the overlook, while the rest of the gang headed for Chinipas. Al polished his gps skills leading us up to the overlook. The view from there is quite impressive.
    <table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From Mexico 2009-Chinipas</td></tr></tbody></table>
    Looking down at the various train tunnels and track levels got us talking trains. Turns out Nick had work on a track-laying crew driving spike back in the day. He filled us in on the hump yard we could see below. Al meanwhile has a train layout taking over his basement and may have picked up some new ideas seeing the multiple track levels.

Off the other end of the overlook we could see what appeared to be a wrecked engine below a track and tunnel. Looking at the picture below, where I was able to zoom in close, it appears that an engine has been mounted over and across a track for some reason? Perhaps as a power unit for something? If any one knows what this is about I would welcome the info.
    Anyhow, we all eventually made it to Chinipas. We tried a new hotel there &#8211; so new it wasn&#8217;t quite finished. Minor details, things like windows and the finish electrical work hadn't been tended to yet. Sport that I am, I let John take the first shower, while I went looking for a wooden pole in case I needed to fish him out. <table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From Mexico 2009-Chinipas</td></tr></tbody></table>
    No one was electrocuted, and we were able to reset the breaker that would trip if too many people tried to take hot showers at the same time. Nice thing was that the rooms all opened up on the courtyard, where we were able to enjoy some pre-dinner camaraderie and the beers John had purchased from the judges holding court next door. Yup, the same guy who tracked down the after-hours beer vendor in Batopilas and the happy hour in Cerocahui also found judges selling beer. I don&#8217;t know how he does it &#8211; but it certainly is a handy skill to have on a trip like this!
    Then it was off for tacos in the plaza. Fine eating indeed!
    <table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From Mexico 2009</td></tr></tbody></table>
    That&#8217;s where we met Manuel, a mechanical engineer who had spent time in MN and WI. He was working at one of the local mines now, and no, he did not miss the snow and cold.
    I slept well that night, which was a good thing because the next day would be a major haul heading north to Uruachi.<o:p></o:p>