“Enjoy,” said Tio Beto, “not everyone gets to see this!”

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Powershouse, Feb 17, 2009.

1. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    The trip back to Chihuahua via Carichic and SF de Borja is a pleasant way to unwind the trip. It is about half paved and half fun dirt.

From Creel to Carichic it's high mountains and great scenery, but is constantly being improved, so the character may change. There is not a lot of traffic but apparently enough to justify improvements. Mostly it is dirt or rocks with a few spots that get interesting in wet weather.

In general it is waaay more fun than taking the paved road from Cuauhtemoc to San Juanito.:D

From Carichic to SF de Borja the elevation is less, but most of the road is narrower and varies from running along streams in narrow valleys to open hills with large vistas. There are several dry vados filled with rocks which lead me to believe that there would be water there in the wet season.

We think there is another way to make this part of the trip, but haven't explored it yet.

The paved road from SF de Borja to Mex 16 is a quite nice curvy/hilly bit where big bikes could have a lot of fun at higher speeds.:evil

[​IMG]
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Something you've added to this last post is not liked by the database, that's why it did not appear..
  3. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:
    Two years ago we looked for a route from SFdB to Carichi. I asked a local if the road we were on went to Carichi. The answer was "Si, pero..." and the rest I did not understand. We backed out and took the Sahuarachi route that you describe, which I thought was quite nice.
  4. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just spent some time poking around on GE. I think there may be a way, but it doesn't look very direct.

An early start from Chihuahua would allow time for some pathfinding. I have it on my list.
  5. fugarwe

fugarwe Usual Suspect

Oddometer:
    Ahhh, pathfinding.

We were trying to find another way from SF de Borja to Carichi and kept having to go farther south a couple years ago. That's how we stumbled into Nonoava and discovered what a fun town that is to stay in. And the ride west over to Norogachic is one of my favorite routes in the area.
  6. Tury

Tury Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When Charlie Coons ..CWC told me about their coming to La Sierra in late December I felt like a kid, just waiting for the date to arrive !, counting the days !.

I had a wonderfull ride with excellent companions,friends.

Every time I ride to La Sierra for me it´s like the first time since it is so huge that always there is some thing new to see or to know, new short cuts or long " cuts " and of course more deep silt "POLVO" that gets deep into the brain.

While at Batopilas, Nick and me ( the rest did some riding near Batopilas, some went exploring the "pueblo") did the Batopilas to Batopilas loop, which I highly recommend.

Leaving Batopilas to TUBARES via Rodeo, the best choice is climbing just at the out skirts of the pueblo, since if you do it by Satevo, ONLY now is ok for Enrudro bikes or 650´s but unloaded, this of course while at Bato it is a must to ride to Satevó. I name this new route "el camino de arriba" ( the high road), the scenery is awesome.
    This road will connect with the one comming from Urique and just a few 2-3 kms to "EL SAUZAL" and TIERRA COLORADA, so that in the near future a loop Batopilas -Urique-Mesa de Arturo--Piedras Verdes--Tubares--Rodeo--Bato..

Or while at Tubares head to Choix, El Fuerte.

Now days all routes are being improved due to the minning Co´s and the state of Chihuahua.

The last leg for me was Uruachi --Magauarichi--Creel, this includes riding thorugh the OTEROS CANYON, the Queen of the Barrancas.

The Sunday morning while at Uruachi passing high above the loaded cloads, I told Charlie when we get to Maguarichi to Creel snow will fall, he said no !, well the adventure was complete...Cool...hot...POLVO, climbing .. descending..up again and the snow ! What more could we ask !

I appreciate for inviting me to join you fellows from Minnesota and hoping to ride again soon, best time is in the fall.:clap

Salud:freaky
  7. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:
    Perhaps, but the best time to get out of Minnesota is in the middle of winter.:lol3
  8. Streeter

Streeter Has Coping Skills

Oddometer:
    Tury, why is fall the best?

Paul Streeter
    Minnesota
  9. Tury

Tury Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Paul:

Winter..Might be to cold( not as Minnesota),snow can block some roads up high in the sierra, to much "Polvo",

Spring: to windy, again "mucho polvo"

Summer:to dry and down deep in the canyons "mucho calor ( hot) and again "polvo", the rains begin in July,August,September, several rivers aren´t passable, such as Rio Urique, Chinipas,Oteros and many more that their flows drain to the above rivers.

Fall. the rain season has passed, you have the colors of the summer and fall, no POLVO, no CALOR, just cool in the morning.

POLVO can be deep as much as 12 in. hides big rocks that can rock off the bikes, block the air filters, as well as the lungs and worst, blocks eye sight !:cry
  10. Streeter

Streeter Has Coping Skills

Oddometer:
  11. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm just sayin'.

I know whereof I speak, having completed detailed close-up examinations of the polvo. Remember, I'm a trained geologist - don't try this at home!

:D
  12. Tury

Tury Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When that POLVO in the rain season turns to LODO ( mud), there are 2 kinds of riders: the ones that have falled and the ones that will fall and fall !! and have to take off the LODO with the garden hose before entering the hotels !!:lol3
  13. worthydog

worthydog Shosholoza Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report, thanks.
    We are going and the end of May. Can you tell me how to get from Batopilas to Choix?
  14. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, but it will require pathfinding. There are almost NO signs. It's pretty simple actually. You just head south in Batopilas and when the road branches you go up the hill. Inquire locally. After that you just stay on the main road. About 10 miles out (guessing) there is a fork with actual signs, maybe. You want to go to Rodeo. After Rodeo you will go into a mostly dry riverbed for a while. About 20 miles out (guessing) you come to a largish dry river bed. A lot of traffic goes left here, but you want the road that goes up the hill on the opposite side of the river.

After the Rio Urique there is a bit of bad road then you come out on a good gravel road near Tubares. Turn left.

It's about 40 miles mas o menos to Tubares and another 85 miles to El Fuerte. For myself I'd consider it an all day trip. But I'm slow and I stop a lot. IMO El Fuerte is a much nicer place to stay than Choix.

The first 40 miles will have steep hills, deep sand, deep polvo, a river etc. If you want to read a newbie report and see what the river looks like when the water is moderately high, go to www.ccoons.com and click on 2003. This year the water was much lower as you saw in the pics.

If you have a Garmin GPS that will accept maps, look here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=440711
    to see how to get a map of the area.
  15. Effervescent

Effervescent Sexiest ADVrider '14

Oddometer:
    Ole!:jump

-Eff