“Fly and Ride” when buying a bike out of town.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by EduardoMas, Mar 13, 2014.

1. EduardoMas

EduardoMas Spartan Overlander

Oddometer:
    When you buy a bike in another state (or anywhere several hours from home) and fly there to ride it home:

Who insures the bike and what licence plate do you use for the ride home?

Prethanks,
  2. wiswoodsguy

wiswoodsguy Hickster

Oddometer:
    Typically u provide the insurance and seeing that you cant pre-register it where your from, you have to register it where your getting it from to legally use it
  3. Crab bait

Crab bait Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When you buy a bike in another state (or anywhere several hours from home) and fly there to ride it home:

Who insures the bike and what licence plate do you use for the ride home?

you insure the bike and you use the existing plate as you will not be able to put a different plate on it until you transfer ownership. Take with you from the previous owner three things: title to the bike, a signed bill of sale and, of course, the bike.

Do you live fairly close? I can't imagine traveling far on a thumper especially if you're uncertain of its history and mechanical well being. Good luck.
  4. CNRED

CNRED It'll be OK Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fly & Rides are a great way of seeing the country, I've done several on all types of bikes, single cylinders included.
    Put your own insurance on the bike. Get the title from the seller, signed and notarize if necessary. Obtain a Bill of sale, and enjy the ride home.
    The plate on the bike is legal until the title is changed to your name.
    When you get home, register the bike in your name and send the plate back to the seller.
    If you run into a problem on the way home, rent a U-Haul truck, load it up and drive the rest of the way.
  5. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I went to the sellers DMV with a paper from my insurance company showing coverage and a signed title and they sold me a 14 day temp tag.
  7. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't see buying a bike that way. If I buy a used bike, I want to go over it with a fine toothed comb, and do all the maintenance and repairs before riding it very far. And a new bike needs to be broken in properly, which can take awhile. I recently bought a new bike from a dealer about 120 miles away. I considered riding it home, but in the end decided to have someone haul it home for me. I've had it for over a week, and it will probably be a couple more weeks until it is completely broken in. Then I can take a long ride on it with no worries.
  8. ADK46

ADK46 Loon

Oddometer:
    The legal way varies, by state. An example, based on a car I bought last year: NY does not itself accommodate the situation very well when there is no dealer involved, or at all - there is only a FedEx solution. Fortunately, California's standard practice is that the buyer takes the plates and has ten days to register the vehicle. The seller quickly files a form that says "not my car anymore." I wasn't sure any other state would recognize the ten day grace period, but I was happy to have plates with some rational legal basis. Much better than no plates, borrowed plates or bogus plates.

Insurance is more important. Let your company know what you're planning to do, and ask if you'll be insured. Keep a record of the conversation. I had the official insurance cards with me.

I had a great trip, btw. I might do it again some day.
  9. DirtDabber

DirtDabber cultural illiterate

Oddometer:

I like fly and rides....

As to the tag.... Legally it varies by state. I have run home with the owners tag and mailed it back. Sent money and had the title mailed to me and gotten a valid plate before leaving. Sold a bike on a ride-rental car-ride and used the plate I would be transferring to and switched the insurance over the phone. All bikes are insured, I have bill of sale and paperwork with me as needed.

Fly and rides let you "break" the bike in properly....

[​IMG]

Test roadside logistics while learning a new language....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Use the internet to find a place to ship a bunch of stuff back home....

[​IMG]

It also allows you to see family that live 2000 miles away....

[​IMG]

See places you have never been....

[​IMG]

Sleep in someone's yard that you met in a convenience store at 11:30 p.m.

[​IMG]

Sleep under a highway bridge....

[​IMG]

Bring home corn from Iowa because you thought it would be funny....

[​IMG]

Take funny pictures...

[​IMG]

That said, finding the perfect bike 45 minutes from home, skipping work, ditching the kids at school, and trailering home so you can spend the morning with your spouse and have a great lunch on the way home isn't a bad way to go either....

[​IMG]
    alcontrast likes this.
  10. EduardoMas

EduardoMas Spartan Overlander

Oddometer:
    Insuring the bike with my insuco (only need a VIN) and borrowing the plate from the seller to ride it home makes sense to me, and hopefully to the seller as well.

Thanks again for the collected wisedom:thumb
  11. AZchris

AZchris Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did a fly and ride from Atlanta back to my home in AZ last summer. I took the long way through Florida and had an absolute blast. To keep costs down I stayed with people off Couchsurfing.org and got to meet great people across the country.

I insured the bike with my insurance company and was able to get a 30 day temporary tag in GA.

Enjoy the adventure.
  12. bisbonian

bisbonian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it depends on the state.

When I bought my 640A, I went to the Washington state DMV with the seller and we were able to buy a temporary plate for something like $30.

I later looked and believe that I could have bought the temp plate in Arizona at the DMV before flying out and would still have been good.

Whatever you do, try not to use the existing expired plate. That has caused me problems in the past.
  13. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Most of our bikes are ready at a moments notice, in perfect mechanical shape and ready for whatever trip we want to throw at it. I can tell within a couple min of looking at a bike if I'd trust it to ride home. I've come across some excellent mechanics/meticulous owners on here that I'd trust 100%, most would feel the same way about my work. If you can't feel comfortable without verifying everything then where's the adventure in that?
  14. JParanee

JParanee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have done it and had a blast

Obtained insurance had card faxed to dealer

Rode home with temp plate

What is break in :)

[​IMG]