“If you’re going through Hell, keep going.” - Solo X Country 2014

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by soph9, May 3, 2014.

1. kelsow

kelsow Long timer

Oddometer:
    Done! Looking forward to reading as you are the riding.
  2. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    Will be following. You go grrl.
  3. digitalmoto

digitalmoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Enjoy your trip. Try not to get lost in the past while you create a new future. You never know what is right around the corner.

Let me know if you end up in Portland, OR. My wife and I have plenty of room and I've got a garage full of bikes and tools.
  4. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I think I will plan a tentative route to make sure I at least get to North Carolina...:norton
  5. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    What are your plans for my home state, NC?
  6. soph9

Oddometer:
    See my borther and his family in Charlotte
  7. Bullettwo

Bullettwo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be following you as well, Leslie! Wishing you a wonderful experience, great sights and fun times. :lurk
  8. White6Romeo

White6Romeo Sectum Sempre

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about the break up. I think a long solo ride is just what the doctor ordered. I did something similar back in 08 that took me on a 10000 mile solo ride across the US.

If you you're going from Long Island to Upstate NY you'll be cruising past my neck of the woods. If you find yourself on NY87 I suggest a stop off at Keegan Ales in Kingston. Great beer, great food and amazing people. Lots of local riders frequent it and its always a good time.

The very best of luck on your ride!!!
  9. TM1(SS)

TM1(SS) Matthew 24:36, Ride today, ride now :-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I second that, especially the healing power of solitude!
  10. soph9

Oddometer:
    That's what I'm hoping for solitude yet meeting many too
  11. Balanda

Balanda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a fantastic bunch of people on this site, so much understanding and support that isn't necessarily forthcoming in other communities. Good people.
  12. soph9

Oddometer:
    agreed...hence why posting a RR here is part of therapy...:clap
  13. soph9

Oddometer:
    Been busy with things that have nothing to do with my trip....personal stuff but I am hoping this weekend I can start to focus on the trip and that's all. One of the most important pieces of gear to me is not only the suit, bike but the helmet. I recently got a Shoei RF1200 to replace my Qwest. Shoei helmets fit my head great. The 1200 rocks and I will be posting more thorough reviews on everything I take and use later...

here is a selfie. I am sure there will be many selfie pics sense it's just me. :D

[​IMG]

The weight is incredibly lighter than my Qwest, fit is more snug too. Great venting and love how the curved up the sides a bit and that really helps with shoulder checks. I added a Cardo Q3 to replace my G4 and this is a nice little intercom. Sleeker and better sound. Again more about that later.

Again thanks for those who are all ready following and it won;t be too long before I shove off heading east is what I know so far....
  14. Mcgee

Mcgee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m looking forward to your ride report and gear and bike observations. It’s always good to hear about riding gear and how it stands up to the real world. Thank you!
  15. adkjack

adkjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Soph9-

Glad to see you're still doing well, and remember how important it is to keep the faith. . . . . . . . . .through thick and thin. Here are some words to live by:

"Faith is seeing light with your heart, when your eyes see only darkness"

Leslie: I wanted to be sure that you consider dropping by to say hi when you are in the neighborhood of the Adirondacks on your journey. We are just completing our new production facility and we'd love to show you around.

Let me know your schedule so I can be sure to be around when you come through. Either email me at info@originalgripbuddies.com, or call me at 518-461-3003 and we'll connect. Be great to finally put a face to a name.

Best,

Dave R.
  16. Me4speed

Me4speed Dirt/pavement=Relief

Oddometer:
    So sorry about your loss, read your blogs in the past, and will follow along, i'm also a type 2, and love my GS, Keep it up right, the sun at your back, and stay safe.
    best wishes
  17. soph9

Oddometer:
    @ Dave I'm heading upstate to Geneva, NY where are you again? @ Me4speed thanks I will hope for sun lol
  18. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sub'd Leslie. Leave it all in the rearview mirror and Have a great trip!

Kalamata's go faster! (especially with scratches:D)
  19. soph9

Oddometer:
    :freaky+1 for sure
  20. soph9

Oddometer:
    Throughout my X Country trip I will be reviewing in detail the gear I use, new and old. The big new additions to my kit are the KLIM Altitude suit, Shoei RF 1200 helmet, Cardo Q3 intercom, Alpinestars Toucan GoreTex boots ( I have had these for a while and LOVE them) and a new OverBoard Dry bag…
    Why not check out my Face Book Page

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have some other items that I will also include but will wait for later to include them. 8 more days until I leave for my 2014 Solo X Country Adventure and when I read Ride Reports I look for real life reviews of gear as well as tons of pictures to see places where I may never go or want to go.

So, that is my goal…to be informative yet informal. I need to learn to pack what I am used to on one bike rather two. Cheryl and I would split the gear so in this case I will take less and focus on what I really need.

Hopefully this weekend I will get to my packing list, test my camping stove and see where everything will go on the bike. I have Jesse Hard bags, Safari 8 inch side panniers and a 45L top box. Have had this luggage since 2010 when I got this set up for my 2010 BMW F650GS. So, not large panniers but have a lot of room in some regards.

My other goals for this trip is to have fun, enjoy meeting new and old friends, heal my brain and heart….enjoy my 1 month of freedom and stay safe. Once I get all my gear out I will post a pre-departure post. Stay tuned…Oh, someone asked me the other day how long I have been planning for this trip? I decided to go in February and my planning will really begin this weekend? :-)

Some of my posts might seem somewhat redundant for those who follow everyday, but I get a few hundred new visitors each day so somethings are worth repeating. I hope my blog will hit 2,000,000 hits by the end of this trip.

I will be riding on my trusty Heidenau K60 Scout tires. Have 13,000 KM’s on them now and will be needing new tires by Ontario.

[​IMG]

and finally my ride…

[​IMG]

More later….