“If you’re going through Hell, keep going.” - Solo X Country 2014

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by soph9, May 3, 2014.

1. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Soph9, much love to you and your pack. My wife had a realization when we lost one of our fur babies that she had to go so suddenly because she knew we couldn't take loosing her slowly. Dunno if it's true but feels right, and we feel she loved us as much as we loved her. Unconditionally. Sorry for your loss, keep your head up and the rubber side down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  2. ScooterNoMore

ScooterNoMore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great to see you smile :eek:)

[​IMG]
  3. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    funny you just posted this when I was going to post I am having a difficult time adjusting to being home more than usual after a trip. I am trying to get the past few days posts done and when I look back on all the pics and how I was feeling out of the road...I would so rather be there then here. The death of my beagle has set me back a bit.

My big dog is really suffering the loss of her best friend and you can see it on her face and disposition. The house is certainly too quiet and feels empty and with now a theory that Cruizer may have died of stress induced cardiomyopathy(broken heart syndrome) complicated by Addison's...is almost killing me too.

While I was working out my separation issues Cruizer was suffering as well.

In the end all this adversity has to mean something for me. I am still working through all the legal crap with my ex and now the knowledge that my dog may have suffered and lost his life to all the chaos that has been going on around him makes my grief complicated with guilt.

Tonight I am going to work on Day 26. I need to see my pics and write my thoughts down. I need to realize some things are just out of my control and look forward to my next bigger trip.
  4. soph9

Oddometer:
    June 11, 2014

When I woke up and was loading my bike up I looked up at the sky and saw this...
    [​IMG]

I thought to myself, "OK, here we go again." [​IMG]Spring riding across the country has been mainly about trying to navigate around the storm cells that pop up all over in the mid west. These storms you can often see off in the distance and perhaps can ride around if you are willing to go out of your way. Or, like this morning you have no choice but to zip up, put the heated liner in with gloves and just ride into the storm in order to continue to heading west.
    [​IMG]

Chilly start but I have said this before I rather have it on the cool side than HOT any day. I find it way easy to keep my core warm than cool. 9C or 48 F.
    Before I left I also found my self thinking a lot about my dog Cruizer, his sudden death, me not being home and how I was going to deal with returning with one less dog. I also at this point was thinking what else do I need to prepare for?

The reason for this solo journey was to work out how hurt I was when my life suddenly, to me, turned upside down being a apart of a partnership for almost 17 years to being single, living in my house with my three dogs. I knew I would have legal issues to contend to because before I left there was no resolutions agreed upon. I could feel my body getting tense and my head getting full of ruminating thoughts.
    Out west I noticed like in 2010 when I rode X country the many types of material being used on the roads. Seems as though "someone" is desperate to figure a combination of sorts to try to make these roads last through the harsh winters.
    [​IMG]

While I began my day I said to myself, "clear the head....you have to. There are still a few thousand miles to ride and you need to keep a clear head." Easier said than done.
    [​IMG]

I put the music on early this morning, that distracts me in a good way. I focused on the short-lived storm I was knowingly heading into and tried to focus on Yellowstone. My mid west tour had turned into a bit of a National Park adventure. Which was a pleasant surprise. Another pleasantry was once through the dark low clouds I was privy to the above picture.
    Just as quickly as the skies turned blue with white puffy clouds. I LOVE clouds when riding, the temperature dropped as I headed in to the hills of this region.
    [​IMG]

5.5 C or 41 F. As long as I have my heated gear on I never worry about the temp. All I do is turn up the temperature gauge dial and moderate my heat.
    My short-lived sunny ride turned into another rainy cold ride but it would get better. Common occurrence throughout any given day out here. Rain, cold, sun a bit of warmth back to rain back to sun.
    [​IMG]

Rt. 16 to the east Yellowstone was a great route to take. I have been trying at this point to avoid the interstate as much as I can and enjoy other routes with views and even some curves. The interstate serves it's purpose for sure. When I ride long distances I welcome the ability to get on one to pick up the speed and catch up on both time and mileage. Pop in pop out is what I say, options...not bad at all.
    [​IMG]

My cockpit view I was fortunate to see every day I got to ride. My bike and I have become one. I feel as though my F8 is broken in by now, the ergo's, my set up and even the BMW stock low seat have made this bike into a super touring machine. Totally comfortable even for a GS. I have taken the Triumph Tiger 800XC in 2011 up to Alaska and boasted about that bikes road comfort. Well...when comparing the 2 bikes...my 2013 F800 and the 2011 800XC...believe it or not my F8 is a road worthy competition. Other than the twin vibey engine compared to the triple of the Triumph, my bike felt just a good on the road. Very very impressed and surprised.
    [​IMG]

My route took me through the Big Horn National forest with decent elevations. Here I got encapsulated by the low cloud cover and very cool temps. I actually thought it might snow on me. I don't mind snow as long as it does not accumulate on the roads. My visibility soon dropped to almost 10 feet.
    [​IMG]

This is a little scary at times. I mean I can't see and that means cars and trucks can't see me. I keep my hi beam on and if I feel or hear a car coming at me or behind me I pump my rear brake so they can at least see a flash. I have been asked via messages and emails "how do I enjoy myself on a bike when it seems I have so many hazards to worry about?"

Great question but easy answer. You get used to this, hazards, weather changes when you ride long distance or even just in a day to work. You learn to instinctively adjust your riding. It become automatic all the while taking on the views, the smells, the surroundings and actually relaxing through what may appear to be distractions. I am aware of what I need to do while riding to try to make myself more visible but not for a second am I going to miss even the sneak peek of the views ahead of me.
    [​IMG]

Can you imagine what I would be seeing if I could see? ;-)
    [​IMG]

I can see blue skies ahead. Hopeful that it won't be long before I get out of the clouds and into better weather soon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As descended from the pass I made a short detour to a little lake right off the main road. Again, so important to pay attention to the road surface. The turn off was a little dirt road but it was wet. So, of course I come zooming in and almost lost it when my bike transitioned from pavement to wet slippery mud. I was looking at the lake not and not paying attention to the surface. All good, did not wipe out but it only takes a second to have something like this little turn possibly ruin your day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was here that thoughts of my beloved dog enter my frontal lobe. ;-) Once again said to myself this is not the time. So, I find myself shaking my head literally to get Cruizer out of my thoughts. Feeling guilty about not being home and even guilty not allowing myself to feel his loss off I went.
    [​IMG]

Yep in love with my bike. Hard for none riders to understand, hopefully not for the avid rider like me.
    [​IMG]

It's easy when out on the road to forget your worries. I mean that is what holidays are all about. I was not able to do this all the time. I would often escape into my own world, even forgot many times I was ever married and going through a separation. But the death of a pet is hard to shake..so I did try to honour Cruizer throughout this day one I stopped at a beautiful place. Little did I know I would be actually having a celebration of life outside the east entrance of Yellowstone.
    [​IMG]

Back up into the clouds after the lake for a short while and back down to what I saw for the rest of the day...a treat to dry and warmer weather.
    [​IMG]

We have roads like this in BC and been on roads in many parts of the USA...but you have to love them that much more when you are present and riding wherever you are. To me it's about the region. Even though it may look familiar to home I love that it's not.
    [​IMG]

Viola! Yes, just like that the terrain changes, the deep black newly paved road and sun. Beautiful transition and not so subtle. Come out of the mountains and the conditions change just like that.
    [​IMG]

The road heads off into what appears a never-ending road.
    [​IMG]

In 2010 I found this "boring", in 2014 I find all the roads out here to be beautiful. I didn't care if there weren't any twisties or curves. One thing riding solo is I found myself just enjoying being with myself. Adversity can do that to you. Less consumed with separation, hitting my helmet, shaking my head not let Cruixer confuse me I felt relaxed. I do think on some level Cruizer was allowing me not to grieve. ;-) I think he had a bigger mission for me on this day. Remember I said earlier I would have a celebration of life?
    [​IMG]

This flag pole was off to my left on Rt 16. Well, off a little dirt road. I saw it from a distance and thought, "what the heck? Why is there a flag pole in what seems to be such a random location?" Even though I thought that to my self, I rode past it doing 140 KM/hr. I rode about 200 yards past it and all of sudden I grabbed my brakes full on to stop. I look over my left should and see the flag again. Make a quick u-turn and went to check it out. I had to something was making this a mission.
    [​IMG]

Not far off Rt 16 but a perfect location for my bike and soon to be memorial stone for Cruizer. It became a no brainer when I got to the pole why it was there. Seemed to be a site for memorial stones, perhaps loved ones lost, pets?. I
    [​IMG]

saw numbers, names, and graphics on the rocks at the base of this pole.
    [​IMG]

Well, I guess I will succumb to my untapped spiritual side yet again. Something compelled me to u turn and go to this site. I never u turn for anything even riding solo. I always want to take pics of state welcome signs and almost always miss them only to keep riding. Compelled I say because I really felt this pole grab me as if I had no choice. I got it when I got off my bike, looked around at the panoramic view only 100 Km's or so from the entrance to Yellowstone.

I got the message. Have a ceremony for Cruizer. celebrate his life the day after he died. Do something I said to myself because I mean after all I always tell my donor families, I work in organ donation, to celebrate the life of the loved one they just lost to a tragic sudden death. I needed to take my own advise.
    [​IMG]

I pushed the OK button on my spot to mark this location forever.
    [​IMG]

Not that I would ever forget where it is. Perhaps one day I will bring Cruizer's ashes back here. I was asked by a few why here? Aren't you Canadian? Nope...American born and raised. New Yorker to boot. Not that makes any difference. But totally appropriate for me to have my first private celebration. Not sure what to do I found a pen in my tank bag, wrote on what I now call Cruizer's stone and had a moment of silence that lasted about 30 mins or so.
    [​IMG]

It dawned on me too. While sort of preparing my bike for this trip I changed much of my gear. Without being too conscious about the reason behind this....I had an Epiphany of sorts while here.

I changed my gear and my bike to look completely different from any other trip i have done with my ex. I wanted my pictures to look new, fresh and have little reminder of how when traveling as two our bikes were so similar because I would buy 2 of everything. On this trip, new memories, fresh pics and my bike looks and felt different. This was my trip and only my trip.
    [​IMG]

My moment was over, felt good at this point in a weird way and I continued to Yellowstone. Not sure what I was going to do when I got there. I mean camp in the park, ride through this day? I would play it by ear. Prior to entering the park I was texting Mani, back in NYC who was telling me he was glad I went this way home. He is originally from Montana and said he was jealous I was there and he was in NYC. Mani and I rode to Montauk together with my friend Dean back on Long Island. We stayed in touch for the rest of the trip. Virtual friend to real friend.
    [​IMG]

Made a few little pit stops before riding the last 100 KM to the east entrance. Bridges and trains fascinate me on the road. Not so much at home but always on the road.

I entered Scenic Byway of Highway 20, aka the Wapiti Valley, the road is wedged into a valley shaped by the flow of the Shoshone River. The Buffalo Bill Dam/Reservoir and Buffalo Bill State Park were worth another Kodak moment.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soon enough I reached my destination for the day, well sort of. I ended up riding through the park and for the most part enjoying myself. Been here when I was kid and saw Old Faithful and parts of the park with my family. I say for the most part because I mean there were bison every where and that attracted cars which equated to traffic jams.

After I got to the visitors station I was surrounded by cars and it took me forever to get out of the park. I wanted to see more but gave up. I was all ready on the bike when I arrived at the west entrance 10.5 hours and it took me another hour or so to leave the park in worse than rush hour traffic so it seemed.
    [​IMG]

The culprit creating excitement among all the tourists. This was only 3 but there was a huge heard at the exit/west entrance that everyone one had to stop for and get pics of the young ones too. I was in my literal friction zone, did not snap a pic of the heard. Did not want to stop and going to slow to do a one-handed shot. But I saw my share but no other real wild life. Was a little bummed but bison are cool
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It got cool again as I headed into the park. Back went on my heated liner and gloves as I climbed up the road into the east side.
    [​IMG]

No people on this side. $20 to get too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glacier fed, still snow and beautiful
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I pretty much kept to myself today. Even when I stopped and guys were around my bike, I waited for them to leave instead of socializing. Wasn't in the mood. Wanted to be alone. Was getting tired by the time I got to the park, needed to eat and needed to find a place to camp or just stay for the night.
    [​IMG]

A little sulphates action on the side of the hills and mountains. Sulfur mud pies all over too. The geothermal areas of Yellowstone include several geyser basins in Yellowstone National Park as well as other geothermal features such as hot springs, mud pots, and fumaroles. The number of thermal features in Yellowstone is estimated at 10,000. There some trivia info for you. ;-)
    [​IMG]

Pretty eh? Love how the weather gave me break to be in the park.
    [​IMG]

Now who do these guys remind you of? Entertained myself watching them at the visitors centre while I got a quick cheap sandwich and refuel and head out for the night.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After some more Kodak moments, I eventually did the over 100 KM drive, did not explore nearly the entire park. It's huge! I ended up only making it to West Yellowstone for that night.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Met a guy named Paul at the McDonald's in town, my resting/pee/wifi hang out throughout this trip. Paul did not know it at the time but it turns out he is a face book page follower of mine. We went to the local rip off KOA together. Paul has been on the road since last October, from California and will be traveling until this October. One year on the road on board his BMW F650GS.
    [​IMG]

More about Paul in the next post. I was exhausted by now that traffic jam did it for me getting out of the park. Got a cabin, unloaded and went to bed both physically and emotionally done for the day.
  5. Berger

Berger Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that you are home, I wanted to ask how the GS800 compared to the Tiger, in your opinion? Did you own your GS800 when you did your trip to Alaska on the loaner Tiger? If not, what made you go with the BMW over the Triumph when it came time to buy another bike?

Thx!
  6. soph9

Oddometer:
    I briefly compare the two in the recent post but can elaborate later just getting ready for work

If you see typos it's my phones fault!
  7. soph9

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Arrived home June 14th, 2014 – these are catch up posts. Day 27 was June 12th.

After spending time in South Dakota and Wyoming I have a whole new appreciation for this region. Although much of the states can appear to be “flat” everything this time around for me, verses in 2010 when I rode x country had a beauty to it.
    [​IMG]
    On day 26th riding through Yellowstone the only wild life I got to see was Bison and man did they look haggard. The thing is this. In the park you never know when one, two or a herd will show up. With this in mind the wild life, in this case the Bison can create a traffic jam from hell.

I was heading out the west entrance after entering from the east and it took my over an hour to ride about 5 miles because of a very large herd with babies. I did not take a pic of this herd. By the time I passed them I was eager to get out of the park. I was on the bike for 11 hours at this point and needed to find a place to sleep.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    They are interesting looking creatures for sure and HUGE compared to me and my bike.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    When I finally made it out to the park I landed at the McDonald’s in West Yellowstone. There I met Paul, a guy on a BMW F650GS who’s been on the road since October 2013 I believe.
    [​IMG]
    I needed a break, use the WiFi, get some pop and figure out where to stay. Paul was friendly, I was not really. I was tired, a bit grumpy, had Cruizer and returning home on the brain. We ended up going to the KOA outside of town eventually. Paul tented and I got an expensive cabin. The funny thing is….when we got to the campground, I see this post on my Face Book page made by a Paul. So happens Paul joined my FB page a year ago, he did not put 2 & 2 together that he was commenting on my page until I made a comment back online.

It was very humorous and when you think of the chances? Also, little did I know we would spend Day 27 together exploring a great dirt road. I am glad Paul did not get turned off with my “attitude” the day before because day 27 was a lot of fun.
    [​IMG]
    I woke up to this. The weather on this trip has many variables to it. Frost as one can see, HOT and Humid when I got to the east coast initially. Through the Smokies, to Matthews, NC up to Washington DC were the only real hot spots this entire trip. When I got to Philly and then Long Island, CT, upstate NY and back west it was rather cool and of course all the rain and storms across the country. My initial thought for Day 27 was to ride west as far as I could go. But there was a HUGE hiccup in my plan.

I had the worst headache I have ever had I think in my entire life when I woke up. This headache was different then the ones I get when my sugars are high or low. This was from dehydration. I had a rough night. Keeping the sadness I have felt since my dog died at bay while riding hit me this night. Day 26 night. So, when I woke up my head was pounding. I tried to eat, drink everything but it was unforgiving. I did load up but only made it to Big Sky, MT. A whopping 80 km’s? I pulled over at a general store/gas station and bought more food, Gatorade, trail mix
    [​IMG]
    and tried so hard to rid myself of this pain. Meanwhile I text messaged Paul who was back at the campground taking it easy to ask him what was his plans for the day.

Paul graciously responded and said he was going to take a shower and was flexible. I invited him to join me in Big Sky
    [​IMG]
    to go find dirt. I figured by the time he got to me I had to feel better. Turns out when Paul arrived around 1100 my head still hurt but was good enough to explore.

I felt a little weird hanging out at the general store for so long. I arrived around 0730 and ended “loitering” until Paul. ;-) Met this really nice guy Chase,
    [​IMG]
    who ended up helping us find a road near by and then when we got back from our day trip came out to chat with us about our bikes, trips and life. Very enthusiastic young man and helpful too. Thanks Chase for being you and everyone in the store assisting with Paul and I riding the Taylor Fork Rd.
    [​IMG]
    The guys at the store did tell Paul and I about the grizzly bears up the dirt road we were heading but we later found out we were riding in the largest concentration of grizzlies in the lower 48. Never got the conservationists name or even take a picture of him but we were approached at the end of the gated road by the guy driving this vehicle
    [​IMG]
    Who informed us the population is huge in this exact area. He went on to say someone poached a grizzly not far from where we were standing. That makes me SICK! and I was not alone feeling this way.

He gave us some advise about camping in the area, hang your food and toiletries from a tree etc…good for Paul as he later went back up the road to stealth camp. Nice that he stopped by, wish I asked his name and before he left went on to say “enjoy your ride, good thing you arrived now because 2 weeks ago there was too much snow and the road was closed.” We wished we could have gone further than we did but there was a locked gate to private property.
    [​IMG]
    It was at the gate where my bike took a nap. That damn little hump in the road is how I lost my footing. Rule #1, when you are on the vertically challenged side for riding a stock height F8 get off the bike and turn it around instead of trying to do while on the bike. I know this but of course did not head my own advise. Lesson learned once again.
    [​IMG]
    Looks much healthier upright. Good thing Paul was with me. We got her up without having to take the luggage off. This is drop #2 and that was it for the trip. Once back in Colorado while heading east and this one. Not that bad considering and only superficial damage. My AltRider crash bars are now bent in a bit on both sides. I think the weight of the bike has really tested these bars and I am happy they have done their job.
    [​IMG]
    Before we actually got to ride the Taylor road we had to find it. Was supposed to be about 20 miles from the Big Sky junction heading back to West Yellowstone. We missed it the first time around when I was in the lead, no surprise there…but Paul took the lead and we found the entrance on the way back to Big Sky. Wasted about an hour but we got there eventually.
    [​IMG]
    Right away I knew this is what the doctor ordered for my headache. Ride a very nice, not technical dirt road with beautiful views and we had to stand on the pegs. After being on pavement for about 99% of this trip this felt right. I have deviated from the asphalt before but riding with Paul made this even more special.
    [​IMG]
    Weather was cool enough with some warm spots. Rained held off for the most part and I would say perfect riding conditions except for the dust Paul ate holding up my rear. It was nice Paul took one for my trip by simply saying he was all ready filthy was a little dust?
    [​IMG]
    We did not see any grizzlies but felt them out there in the wilderness. Here are a few pics of our ride…
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]Paul

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Other than a few ranchers on the road with horse tailors and “cowboys” on horses not may folks out here. No other bikes for sure but some campers in the designated recommended areas to camp. Better bear protection.
    [​IMG]
    Perfect, Paul, his F650, a wooden bridge off a dirt road and a glacier fed river.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Look at this view. I believe this is Lone Mountain. You can see this from the pavement but seems closer and better back in the country away from civilization.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I personally believe one post can never have too many pics of bikes. ;-)
    [​IMG]
    Break time.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Nice road don’t you think? We really enjoyed this side trip. Both of us did and Paul was very happy to hear my head was feeling that much better. We got out of the back country around 1530 hrs. I still had riding to do westward and was actually kind of bum to leave Paul. We kept in touch for the rest of my trip and still do as he travels around the USA, eventually coming up to Canada one day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is the third time this trip I actually had someone to take a pic of me. Good for my memories.
    [​IMG]
    One more selfie of the two of us…Paul probably doesn’t even I took this one.
    [​IMG]
    So, after riding this…
    [​IMG]
    and a hug and good-bye to Paul back at the general store we met at earlier in the day, I was back to this…
    [​IMG]
    Heading to Butte, MT. Didn’t know it at the time but that is how far I got this day because of my late start but for a great reason.
    [​IMG]
    Road construction means long waits usually out here. Engine off and was able to just reflect on my ride with Paul and look forward to the final days of my trip. Honestly, my gut when thinking about the end of this trip was in knots.

I don’t like ending trips ever at the best of times, but in this case….reality of my separation and Cruizer who died meant my house, my world would be that much more different when I arrived home.
    Off to Butte which turned into a rainy short haul….great day 27 was in the end….
    [​IMG]
    At this point only 2 days left of my X Country 2014 Solo Trip!
  8. Max Wedge

Max Wedge ADVenture mowing

Oddometer:
  9. soph9

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I have been back now almost 2 weeks and have had time to reflect in this trip. I think I feel like most when we return home whether it’s from a weekend trip, month or longer. I have the longing feeling to be back on the road. Don’t get me wrong, life on the road is not easy especially if you have only a certain amount of time to achieve your goal in mileage. There is no time to be lazy, the weather can be daunting but in the end it’s the freedom from reality, the control one has over their own destiny on a daily basis, witnessing your surroundings by being a apart of them versus a passerby that I miss all the time.
    [​IMG]
    Riding along a cargo train while being drizzled on has a much different meaning when you are away from home. At least for me. Somehow this “normal” occurrence, seeing a train like this is a dime a dozen on my area but on the road always captures my eye and has a sense of beauty to it.
    [​IMG]
    Stretches of endless roads give me hope that the trip will never end. Avoiding reality? For sure. As I have stated before when I am on my bike, loaded with gear and more specifically on this trip as a SOLO rider gave me confidence that I seam to have lost while going through all my changes in life starting January 30th, 2014. I don’t embrace change easily but when on a trip I do.
    [​IMG]
    Watching to rad dry right before you and looking ahead where I am going to see the clouds part, blue sky is an awesome feeling. I was rained a lot of this trip but I also was fortunate that throughout the mid west, especially heading home west I got to ride some of the most beautiful parts of South Dakota and Wyoming in relatively dry and cool weather. It can get HOT in this region in June and I rode a beautiful stream of temperate weather. Big bonus not many bugs compared to my x country trip in 2010.
    [​IMG]
    You often are simply riding and come around a bend to be pleasantly surprised to see a tranquil body of water that compels me to pull over to watch. As the sun and clouds hover above the colour of this little lake turned many shade of green, blue and even brown. Yes, I have lakes near me but being far away I seem to enjoy this view that much more.
    [​IMG]
    As for my bike…I can’t wait to “review” it as a touring machine. I now have had over 15,000 KM’s on board a 2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC that I borrowed from Triumph Canada to go to Alaska in 2011 and after this trip over 14,000 KM’s on my 2013 BMW F800GS. Could it be possible for me that these bikes are not that far apart when it comes to comfort touring the country? I will do a separate post and when on the road you will notice I don’t talk a lot about how my bike is functioning.

Superstitious I suppose but now I can….a brief comment, I can honestly say my F8 was fantastic. Not too sure how many people out there have owned a BMW F650GS, have been able to ride a Tiger and own a F8 in a matter of years to be able to really compare the three after a long distance ride.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I have been asked about feeling lonely on the road. My answer is simple “No.” I feel more lonely at home then I do when traveling. I think many of the solo riders I met while traveling feel the same way. As a matter of fact being around too many people might feel like an invasion of my space. I am not a huge crowd type of person in general but I noticed on this trip it’s obvious in some ways I am an introvert and find I “refuel” with one on ones. Quality versus quantity for sure.
    [​IMG]

While heading to BC I took many back roads and found my self exploring the terrain by myself even more so. Hardly any cars. I found this in many parts of the country…just me and the road. Perhaps taking trips before many schools are out is the key to success avoiding RV’s, cars and people. I never really had any issues finding accommodations except a few times when actually trying to get a hotel or motel in certain cities. It’s amazing how coal companies as well as oil companies take small towns, buy up all their rooms making the rest of the rooms cost so much and nearly impossible to find. I actually find that completely annoying and wish these companies would just build their own housing for their employees. I could write a book about that topic. ;-)

[​IMG]
    Hard to see in the above picture, the lighting was not good at all for my little waterproof camera. This bridge struck me because it’s built into a strip of land. Almost a natural bridge for the trains to cross over this river. I don’t know I almost rode past this but again needed to pull over and just look. Weird, sometimes I will see something obviously beautiful and ride by with no reservations. Other times I need to stop.

I say need because I found myself at times filling my head with thoughts that I would need to clear. Day 28 I definitely could feel my apprehension growing about my return to my house. Not so much because my ex removed furniture while I was gone but the huge hole I would soon realize that has been left behind with the death of my beagle, Cruizer. Huge hole not only for me but my 2 other dogs Xander and Sierra. I would learn they are suffering the loss of their buddy.
    [​IMG]
    I decided to head down this dirt road just because I could. Only to find it was a dead-end with a very narrow area to turn around as well as a ton of mosquitoes. Not impressed with my decision I got off the bike this time rather than trying to turn around while sitting and got out of here quickly. That is the great part of riding a dual sport. Dirt? Why not. Pavement? Sure. Sand/mud/gravel yes that too.
    [​IMG]

Back on the road I was looking forward to getting to BC but really only for one reason. Might seem trivial but I needed to return some calls, my USA data plan almost all used up. I wanted to get to BC so I could make “free” calls to the people who were waiting for me to return theirs. Seems silly I know but getting to BC this time around was not really welcomed….I sort of wanted to just use its cellular air space and then head back down to Washington to ride through Winthrop. But I needed to stay north because I would end up be expecting a call from within Canada and it made sense to return the route I took when heading east on May 17.

[​IMG]
    As I rode towards Bonner’s Ferry I could see mountains, clouds, a little rain and the temperature was dropping. Moisture in the air, heading to a mountain summit could mean snow? Not today. Just rain and hail.
    [​IMG]
    Quite a few low visibility moments where I could not see the bends in the road ahead of me. Not really knowing this area I slowed it down to make sure I would not literally run into anyone and tried to make sure I was visible to them as well.

I find white outs to be a little intimidating to be honest. Anything can happen when you can’t see…cars, BIG trucks even rock slides and you can’t see the hazards. All part of the adv riding experience. The unknowns! This makes it more exciting but I do get nervous while riding my bike at certain times. Maybe not nervous just more aware.
    [​IMG]
    It seemed like it took forever to get to the border but I made it. Anti-climatic to say the least. Yes, i live in a beautiful province, no doubt about that but I ended up on purpose right where I started. Stayed in the same motel on Castlegar and even ate at the same pub as I did on May 17. Why? I just wanted to see how I felt. Day one I cried a lot, Day 28 I did not.

Day 1, I mourned the loss of my ex and wondered if I could actually ride solo across the country by myself….Day 28th I did it and now was thinking more about work and my beagle. Different concerns which was a good feeling. It meant to me I have moved on from the hurt and devastation of being left, but I was not naive at all that I still would have many many challenges with dealing with just me, my emotions, my head and getting enough confidence to return to work at full capacity.
    [​IMG]

Creston, BC is down there. Lush greenery like the USA side. Over cast skies said Welcome to BC. My route at this point was compete with a little over 500 KM’s to ride before in my driveway.

I would spend the night in Castlegar, talk a lot on the phone and ended up on Day 29, the final day headed home.
  10. soph9

Oddometer:
    I am aware this RR may have missed the mark for many but I am glad I have documented my trip. Too serious? Too heavy? It's ok...this ride was about what I felt I needed to do to start to heal. If anyone got anything out of this RR...great..and I know through the many PM some did. I love the sharing of personal struggles, love the fact I was not alone on this trip. So thank you! To all the ADV riders out there that commented and shared privately you helped me through especially the death of my dog.

My last installment is coming up soon and I will also review as asked the F800 to the Triumph Tiger 800XC.

I have over 27,00 KM's on my F8 and put on 15,000 KM's on the TIger in 2011 compliments of Triumph Canada and Alaska.

100 KM's = 62.13 MILES you can use this as a reference for my mileage ;-)

Starting ODM = 12350 KM
    FINAL ODM = 26, 457 KM

Final mileage 14,107 KM or 8765 miles

[​IMG]

11. soph9

Oddometer:
    May 17 2014 - June 15th 2014 (2014 X Country Solo Trip) if you make to the bottom you will see some stats or you can scroll down not read this wordy post and cut to the chase. ;-)

As most who may have followed my previous rides this one has been different from the get go. I would call it a ride of adversity. Initially it was obvious...I was lost after being left by my wife/partner of 17 years on January 30th 2014. I guess a day never to be forgotten. I went into fighter/flight mode trying desperately to make sense as to why it felt to me my life was just turned upside down without any recourse. No chance at a real discussion, no chance at reconciliation.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    No closure really.

I am pretty honest and it may appear even more so because this BLOG is public. Some say I am too open and honest. Maybe...but this is how I function. Tell the truth or shut up. We all know I have too much to say so shutting my mouth never comes easy. Last count I had over 500 emails, thousands of comments all mainly supportive and full of stories of their own. I had one message that said I am a poser, seeking attention by using my problems as a shield. He went on to say I am wasting my bike by staying on pavement and not utilizing is capabilities. I don;t think so now that I am back. I think I have proved the F800 can be an excellent touring bike and I still managed in my time frame to do side trips where I felt dirt under my tires. I feel satisfied with my road choices based on weather and time. No regrets there. As for a poser...well...I am accused at times as an attention seeker but for this trip I did not feel that way at all.

These installments, more like little chapters were written for me mainly as my journal and perhaps I will put together a book for myself and add to it. A book about being a "ghost rider". I have been at work for 2 weeks now. I need to perform at Full capacity. Which means I have a lot of work to do separating my personal with professional. My personal situation has not changed one bit since I left. More complicated and taking longer to settle than I ever thought. So, no less problems just more pressure to perform as though things have settled down. Where is my bike and why not just go out another 30 days lost adventure? In my dreams.

Although this will be my last installment completing my days, I will also follow up with what I think it cost me, what worked and did not and then the BIG one. I have received so many requests to compare the BMW F800GS to the Triumph Tiger 800XC. I now can say I can do that officially. 2011 I put almost 15,000 KM's on the Tiger 800XC compliments of Triumph Canada going to Alaska and now I have almost 27,000 KM's on my F8. I will write a comparison from my perspective...still I am not a technical know it all I just know what I like and don't. I can say this my F8 with the set up I had on this trip totally compares to the Tiger 800XC. But more about that when I can give it the time it deserves. Including my thoughts about riding on Metzler Karoo 3 tires. The first time I have ever tried a tire that was not my Heidenau K60's.

This trip has shown me, even prior to my departure I have such a good core group of old and new friends. My family checked in more as I got closer to my home. My sister in law in NC was very diligent with her tm. I appreciated that...my sisters and parents tm and face time me. Oh, and I will never forget the face time I got the day Cruizer died. I checked into a real hotel...needed to for me. My colleague face time me from the office where many of my colleagues were there to help console the inconsolable.
    I needed support and still do. I needed to reach out and I did. Friends, real friends are a bit foreign to me. I mean I had the best friend and partner in life didn't I? We were not perfect by any stretch but she was it for me. Now I need others.

My new friends have been accepting beyond belief. One day I should write about how I "pick" my first new friend to share what was going on because I knew I would need help in my neighborhood. I don't like being alone. I don't mind being a long when I thought I would have someone showing up eventually. I got to see my old best friend from college days in Virginia. I got to see my old best friend from grad school. I got to see old friends from high school and childhood. I got to meet virtual friends in real life across the country. All of this I feel grateful and cherish each visit. I got to reconnect to a special mentor/soccer coach in Geneva, NY now friend.
    I felt sorry for myself and still do at times because I am continuously trying to find myself "new" self. I am hurt, confused, frustrated and now I look back on this trip and seriously wonder how the hell I rode across the country, 14,107 Km's worth or 8765 miles without actually "killing" myself? My head at times was so full of despair and I am not being overly dramatic. Please don't get misunderstand me. I am fully aware many have it worse. I work in organ donation and see every week the traumatic ends of loved ones and then the after math of the family and friends grief and disbelief as to what just happened that took their loved one suddenly away.

I am not trying to compete with another grief and pain. I am writing only about how this separation initially made me feel and then the sudden death of my beagle Cruizer's (June 10th 2014) filled my head and heart even more. I refer to my body feeling "full". The pressure at times has no where to go and I can't open the relief valve. I feel literally pressure which equates to stress overload. I see problems with no solutions and for my type of personality that can create and does an internal struggle and conflict like there is no tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

My last day traveling from Castelgar, BC to home started out like many of my days, dreary, cool and rain. Being from the lower mainland of BC rain does not phase me at all. Sometimes I rather ride in the rain then sun.
    [​IMG]
    I think this morning was a morning I was dreading. I mean I had to go home, face reality. My face in this pic shows lack of sleep the night before, uncertainty and also happy I get to get on my bike and ride. Confusion!
    My reality being an empty house, no beagle and less furniture. I know I have 2 other dogs, my 14 year old Xander,
    <dl id="" class="wp-caption alignnone" style="width: 778px" data-mce-style="width: 778px;"><dt class="wp-caption-dt">[​IMG]
    </dt><dd class="wp-caption-dd">Xander</dd></dl>
    <dl id="" class="wp-caption alignnone" style="width: 1034px" data-mce-style="width: 1034px;"><dt class="wp-caption-dt">[​IMG]
    </dt><dd class="wp-caption-dd">Xander</dd></dl>
    and 12 year old Sierra.
    <dl id="" class="wp-caption alignnone" style="width: 586px" data-mce-style="width: 586px;"><dt class="wp-caption-dt">[​IMG]
    </dt><dd class="wp-caption-dd">Sierra</dd></dl>
    But I also knew that Cruizer was my special dog who really needed me and I needed him.
    <dl id="attachment_18621" class="wp-caption aligncenter" style="width: 670px" data-mce-style="width: 670px;"><dt class="wp-caption-dt">[​IMG]</dt><dd class="wp-caption-dd">Cruizer</dd></dl>
    It's amazing after packing up for the last time, feeling sort of sad...once I get on my bike I feel like I can compartmentalize my issues and just well? Fall in love with my bike everyday and the ride.
    [​IMG]

Seems like even though I take a lot of selfies, I am always smiling under that helmet. I guess my true self shining through. [​IMG]

As I headed to Princeton, BC...like I have many times...there were low clouds obscuring the view of the mountains all around me. I was going to get a big surprise later. The pass from Princeton to Hope BC is always for me too wet or cold to ride fast. it's full of curves and twisties to die for but I never ever got to experience this over 100 KM ride with freedom. Weather, cars and road conditions always inhibited me from having fun.

Not this time as you will see...it was like a whole new ride through Allison's pass for me. That was euphoric that I had to pull over at the time and post on FB what excitement I just had...made me feel so alive.
    [​IMG]

I had a peaceful start June 15th to my ride to Maple Ridge. Hardly any cars early in the morning after I had a quick breakfast at the Fireside motel. Cool enough for heated gear once again and as I headed west on Rt 3...I could see the clouds lightening up.
    [​IMG]

I brought on the trip my Canon super zoom bridge camera but only really used a few times to get close ups to wild life. My next trip I will probably bring it as well just for those OMG I need more zoom moments even though it's bulky. Most of my pics...like 99% were taken with my Panasonic waterproof camera which is a few years old. It did one hell of a job plus I dropped it going about 100 KM/h because I one hand shots while riding with no tether. It survived and managed to to keep taking decent pics.
    [​IMG]

Mountains and sort of desert. That is what the Okanagan is all about in BC.
    [​IMG]

The neat thing about riding in my own "backyard" is it never feels the same to me. Always weather plays a big part, season and conditions. So no matter haw many times I have been on this Rt 3 it looks, smells and feels like a different Rt each time.
    If you're traveling along Highway #3 in beautiful
    British Columbia, make a pit stop at
    Deadwood Junction.
    [​IMG]

Greenwood, BC. How many times have I missed this little stop? Many...I needed gas so I stopped and while gassing up I looked across the street and saw this...
    [​IMG]

Surprise! This place, Deadwood Junction

[​IMG]

Has been in this area for quite sometime. How many times have I just blindly ridden past this quaint, friendly little joint? Too many and I am embarrassed to admit this because let me tell you...you need a good cup of coffee in the morning and owners who LOVE their job and establishment...stop here. This is a cruiser bike hang out and my bike needless to say made a statement.

There were a few riders inside and had to ask me, "What kind of bike is that?" I have heard this question no matter what state or part of Canada I was in. I always say the best kind of bike there is to ride. ;-)
    [​IMG]

Would love to go back for their outdoor BBQ. But this morning I had a delicious poppy-seed muffin and a cup of joe.
    [​IMG]

Inside is just as quaint as it is on the outside. One of the owners who makes the coffees wears authentic clothing from the historical era. You are greeted with a huge good morning and smiles. This can not help to make your day. So, I am glad I needed gas...I am glad even though I was not hungry or in need of coffee I stopped here. I will return even for an over niter. Not far away from my house about 450 KM's.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Off I went, full and wanting to get back here one day...that makes it a must stop spot for anyone who travels in this area. Trust me it's worth it.
    [​IMG]

Weather is showing promise for the pass I need to go through. You never know what to expect even in June. My colleague Trish who lives in the interior warned a=me of possible bad weather getting to Hope. Turns out the weather couldn;t have been more perfect for me.​
    <dl id="" class="wp-caption alignnone" style="width: 1034px" data-mce-style="width: 1034px;"><dt class="wp-caption-dt">[​IMG]
    </dt><dd class="wp-caption-dd">26,000 KM's</dd></dl>
    My last capture for this trip when my odometer hit 26,000 KM's. It's been fun catching every 1000 km achieved on this trip with a pic. Solo entertainment I call it. :-)
    [​IMG]

Notice the road...getting drier and drier...a good sign but in no means does this predict the road conditions up in the mountains I need to cross to get to the west side heading home.
    [​IMG]

Still hardly any cars...where are they?
    [​IMG]

Sun has broken through but I did not take my heated gear off...just turned it off. I knew I would be climbing in elevation soon. I asked my neighbors, 2 of them if they were around to meet me when I arrived home. I know I am a big baby but I did not want to walk into my house alone. I was told that Cruizers ashes were there and at this point was also told that the necropsy I asked to be done when I was in South Dakota showed no conclusive cause of death. I reached out...and I was not disappointed.

Man, do I hate this reaching out stuff. Feel so weak and dependent. Never has anyone made me feel this way it's just me. I feel so needy.
    [​IMG]

I guess even an old tunnel covered in graffiti can be considered art? It was cool to look at and again never noticed this riding through this area before. I wonder if I am awake when i ride lol
    [​IMG]

looked like a submarine to me
    [​IMG]

Who wouldn't stop here for a Kodak moment? The east side of Osoyoos Lake, BC.
    [​IMG]

Great road leading up to this view and again I could enjoy it because there were few cars. Seemed to be my day avoiding cagers. Good Karma this day.
    [​IMG]

I think it was at this point I realized I just rode across the country. It dawned on me how much control I have had over my head because riding with too much emotion of any kind is a huge distraction. I managed to ride over 14,000 KM's relatively safely and by myself. I sort of felt proud but I always want more. I wanted to head south at this point. There is a USA crossing near here and I did not want to keep heading west.

I wanted to go south to anywhere. Anywhere to avoid reality. My life was never "simple" but it was rooted. I like things that way...I am uncomfortable to too much induced changes. Makes me feel really unstable and I knew once through this area is was just a matter of time before I would be pulling into my driveway.
    [​IMG]

All farms to me a beautiful and worthy of pictures when on the road. Almost everything I say on a daily basis seems more beautiful when away. No mater if it's in Canada or the USA...what may appear as mundane is not to me. Weird but makes sense to me. just a better appreciation for things I suppose. Your senses are heightened when riding rather than driving a car. maybe that's why?
    [​IMG]

Some one handed shots just for fun...
    [​IMG]

Should send this to KLIM and Alpinestars... ;-)
    [​IMG]

Heading down the mountains to the actual town of Osoyoos is very curvy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty eh?
    [​IMG]

Who is that geek in this pic?
    [​IMG]

Next few pictures are just of what I saw of my last leg....final day....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hard to take one handed shots when I was flying through the curves...but trust me I was more interested in riding and taking advantage of this pass than taking pictures and it was well worth the omission.
    [​IMG]

Once I got to this point of any trip on Rt 3/7 I know I am almost home...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So after a great ride through the mountains...I get to the other side and rain begins again.
    [​IMG]

I was given the heads up by friends that it was raining at home. I guess as I got closer my mood after the euphoric ride I had through the curves that seemed endless did drop. Now, I was sad, apprehensive and actually nervous to pull into my garage, I get hit big time on the bike with a dose of reality. I also was thinking about what I just did over the last month. Part amnesic to be honest. Parts of my trip seem to go by so slowly yet i really don;t remember other parts.

Although I was riding I wonder how in the moment I really was? not a safe way to ride a 560 pound bike but I did it. My first SOLO ride and I actually LOVED it. Not the reason for the ride...hate that...but that I achieved my goal and not to diminish what it takes to do a trip like this by yourself, it was easy???? It was in a way...I am told I am officially experienced as a rider now. Not only that but a Long Distance Rider (LDR).

Perhaps, but with everything in life you never stop learning. So, yeah I agree in away I am experienced now. Over 85,000 KM's since 2010 on trips alone...over 140,000 KM's of riding on two wheels all together by the end of this trip. I suppose I ride a lot compared to some. It feels good and is only making me crave longer trips now. So, let's see after all my legal stuff is settled what I can pull off for 2015...
    [​IMG]
    hmmmmmm

No homecoming pic this time...I met my neighbors as they promised...I got off my bike...the house was quiet. No barking dogs like usual. I thought that was strange. Spent about an hour outside chatting to my friends before I got the courage to go inside. Final odometer read
    [​IMG]

100 KM's = 62.13 MILES you can use this as a reference for my mileage ;-)
    Starting ODM = 12350 KM
    FINAL ODM = 26, 457 KM
    Final mileage 14,107 KM or 8765 miles

Not as far as I thought. I saved mileage by taking the Bridgeport ferry from Long Island to CT and save quite a few mileage by taking the Fast Ferry across Lake Michigan. I suppose if I rode versus took the water I may have hit 16,000 KM....So, I went into my house with friends in tow. Sierra and Xander were quiet. No Cruizer. Very quiet. No howls, no jumping on me, nothing. I let them outside and they casually obliged me. I saw Cruizers urn...OMG sad. I went and looked around to see the holes left in the house with the furniture that left the day I left. My first impression was this was not my house. I am grateful I had escorts because I was broken inside. This was a foreshadow into my next few weeks of struggling with grief, vets, no cause of death and the continuous legal stuff I am dealing with to just get separated legally.

It's been a tough adjustment getting back into work, trying to find dog care for my on call work but i am trying to resolve some of the issues that might be in my control for now. I am constantly being told it will get better...the ride helped, all the comments virtually have helped and the support of my family and friends. I am probably the most needy person out there right now and I am encouraged to keep reaching out on those dark days.

Separation sucks. But it does not have to mean my life is over. I do at times feel I have a lot to look forward to...now to just get back that feeling down deep in my gut. So, to end this final installment....I really NEED to thank the virtual world. Comments from all over the world about my losses and the encouragement. I need to thanks my family, friends co-workers and perhaps me? I am sure this will be to continued in other blog posts but for now...this trip comes to an end...I will add a post dedicated to my favoite 2014 trip pictures too...highlights.
    [​IMG]
    <dl id="attachment_18624" class="wp-caption aligncenter" style="width: 670px" data-mce-style="width: 670px;"><dd class="wp-caption-dd">My Route 2014 X Country Solo Trip</dd></dl>

<dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> [​IMG] </dt><dd class="wp-caption-text gallery-caption"> Cruizer's memorial in South Dakota </dd></dl> <dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> [​IMG] </dt><dd class="wp-caption-text gallery-caption"> My Route 2014 X Country Solo Trip </dd></dl> <dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> [​IMG] </dt><dd class="wp-caption-text gallery-caption"> What I hope for! </dd></dl>
    <dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> [​IMG] </dt><dd class="wp-caption-text gallery-caption"> My tribute to my beagle </dd></dl>
    <ins data-wpview-end="1"></ins>
    I am proud of a few things. I got my diabetes under control on the way west, I faced my adversity throughout the trip, my demons but I had help...I tented 9 nights, was housed 9 nights and motel, cabin and Hotel the rest. I was able to keep up the report live until the end. I learned to travel and navigate by myself. I was a lot smarter for the most part about where I should park my bike without getting into too much trouble. I was bumped by a car from behind and didn't drop my bike, I was hit with hail at times the size of gold balls and only suffered a little bruising on my chest, cut many hand a few times and only had one infection, rode through pouring rain, thunder/lightning storms, avoided tornadoes but got hit with winds from hell...had beautiful weather heading west throughout the South Dakota and Wyoming areas.

Went to 21 states and 2 Provinces. Dumped my bike twice.

So, in the end....this was a very successful trip but the most impressive conclusion...I LOVE MY F800! It functioned famously, the Metlzer Karoo 3 tires still have tread left were incredible on and off road. My bike was extremely comfortable and I gave my sheep pad away once I realized it was staining my pants. Paul has it now. ;-)

My stock low seat worked great to my surprise. The bike handled so well on the road and I am in total LOVE with this bike. Wished it had a larger tank and perhaps the ADV F800 will be my next bike. All in all this bike was comfortable...I was never sore and very rarely other than being tired did I feel the need to get off the bike or even out of my gear. My KLIM Altitude, although I have some pet peeves worked out perfectly. Never once did I get wet and I felt safe and covered. See? I have ended on positive notes not negative....sign of healing? I sure hope so. Thanks for following along it was fun.

Oh, my SPOT Gen3 is 100% top notch for reliability and battery life. Ok...now this is really the end!
  12. Erik500

Erik500 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I stumbled upon this RR and have read it start-to-finish.
    I'm sorry for the loss of your beloved dog Cruizer and the hardship the relationship break-up gave and still at times is giving you.

In my book you can be really proud of the way this roadtrip helped you find yourself, and trying to get back on your feet again, however difficult at times.

Wishing you well, take care.

Erik.
    (From the Netherlands, so excuses upfront for any language/style errors, since it's not my native language)
  13. soph9

Oddometer:
    thanks Erik for taking the time to read the report. I find in the end being on the road is where I wish I could be all the time...or at least where I go when I can...it was cathartic and extremely fun in the end.
  14. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Well Done!

You will come out of this sad time in your life as you have many other friends and family members to help balance the loss, take the time needed and let them be there for you.

My basic nature is to despise Bullying in any form and the Narcissistic, Bully/ Cowardly, POS that sent the pm about your ride and your situation only did so in private as a way to avoid the public ass kicking he would receive if done as openly as you post your thoughts. So many great RR threads have the same kind of life sharing posts that explain some of the motivation(s) for their trip, it's what makes them special. Folks don't have to read them and can easily look at "benign" photos of places on the internet if they'd rather not share the story.

Good Luck, may you find peace as you move forward and thanks again for taking us along!
  15. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Thank you for sharing your story and adventure. You opened your life for all of us to see and read your thoughts as you struggle through a difficult time. All you shared is what makes this report special. I think many people can relate to one or more things you have written about. As far as your bike goes where you ride it and how you enjoy it is up to you and never a waste. :D

As others have said things will get better and it appears you have a wonderful support system to help you get there. :thumb

Wishing you the best as you ride forward. :ricky
  16. soph9

Oddometer:
    I agree we all have our reasons for riding...some are out of adversity and to regain some sense of balance which was the purpose of mine. Thanks for your great comment.

I have a great system up here which I did not know I had...thanks for being a part of this journey I hope I have to never take again.
  17. soph9

Oddometer:
    Thanks Erik well said...
  18. rgiroux

rgiroux Invisible Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap

Many thanks for having the strength and courage to post things from so close to your heart. RR's belong to the writers, not the readers and everyone tells them a little different. Journeys occur on such different levels and I hope yours was a healing one,

Best wishes to you going forward, and much sympathy for the loss of your little friend.
  19. soph9

Oddometer:
    I think it's helped. Now just got things to settle but they are taking a lot of time. Once I get through the legal separation I believe I might be a whole new person.

Planning for my ride in 2015 will also guide me into the future. Thanks for your words of wisdom. You're correct, ride reports are written 1st person and those who want to read them for what they are great. Thanks again. Leslie

If you see typos it's my phones fault!
  20. ErikMotoMan

ErikMotoMan Airbag crash survivor!

Oddometer:
    In Motorcycle Heaven since 1990 - So Cal!
    Welcome home. I hope this trip was the katharthis you needed/were seeking. I have been with you every step of the way, often wondering how you were doing. It is time for me to follow your example