“If you’re going through Hell, keep going.” - Solo X Country 2014

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by soph9, May 3, 2014.

1. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    thanks Erik for the welcome home. This trip proved to me I belong on the road. Soloing was the best thing for me even though it was not easy to keep my head clear but I did. I managed to ride across country despite many times wondering how the hell I was going to make it through the next day.

I love riding..this will keep me sane through the rest of the of the separation. I have no idea when all this other crap will end but I know when it does I can only look forward.
  2. murdock84

murdock84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Way to finish. We'll be standing by for the next ride as well.
  3. soph9

Oddometer:

Thanks I will be standing by too lol

If you see typos it's my phones fault!
  4. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    Well done and thanks for sharing. Sorry about Cruizer... I have 3 cats and a dog and like you they are not pets.... but "friends". Hope you accomplished everything you needed out of this trip for a successful healing; I'm thinking you did! And now that you know that you are an accomplish solo rider, I wonder where you will go next year with your maybe new 800adv. I'm thinking that your new helmet should be a Flip-Up because you said that you are always smiling when you are taking a selfie with your helmet on, with a Flip-Up we could see it. Take care!
  5. soph9

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Still have tons of "stuff" to do home but the trip proved a lot to me.

Next year I hope to get away for longer and do the southwest the right way. Slowly and just explore.

Cruizers death was a hard one to swallow. I was prepared for my 14 year old Xander to die. He's been in grade 5 heart failure since 2008. Cruizer was not even a possibility to me and I am still feeling his loss.

6. ErikMotoMan

ErikMotoMan Airbag crash survivor!

Oddometer:
    In Motorcycle Heaven since 1990 - So Cal!
    We sure do love our fur-babies, don't we ? I volunteered in a dog rescue for over 10 years, always had a rescue dog or cat. Then, like you, I found myself suddenly single and when my last dog, Austin, died I realized that I could live the life of a nomad for any amount of time. Here's Austin keeping an eye on you :clap

Attached Files:

7. soph9

Oddometer:
    <iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/99804221" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/99804221">2014 X Country SOLO Trip</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/soph9">Leslie Sofarelli</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

It’s long but made for me to share with you. Music included were the tunes I listened to a lot throughout my journey. Some may sound depressive some may not. All have meaning to me and I can actually visualize the sights, sounds, smells and weather of course throughout my trip based on songs. It’s a cool way to correlate all the many places I was fortunate to explore from May 17th – June 15th 2014. At the end of course is my tribute to me Beagle, Cruizer….I hope some will watch and get a flavor of what it is like to travel 14,107 KM’s. Leslie
  8. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    That's a lot of work arranging the video. What a great keepsake. :clap
  9. soph9

Oddometer:
    Yeah I actually enjoyed it lol

10. soph9

Oddometer:

Thanks , here are my 2 surviving dogs. The little one has been in grade 5 heart failure since 2008. He was the one I was prepared to die on my trip not my beagle .

[​IMG]

11. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh now that put a huge smile on my face. I bet they do that for you too. :D
  12. GaryAK

GaryAK Easy Going

Oddometer:
    ...yes, the adventure spirit resides within her. :norton
  13. soph9

Oddometer:
    a message I received from a virtual stranger yet there is something about this man that makes me feel he knows me...

"I hope you have a place where, in your version of Spirit, you can go and just "be". I hope you have another wonderful ride and find the same thing I find: that loneliness is not cured by being with people; it's cured by being with reality, and reality is the rain, the Sun, the Moon, the stars, the mountains, the rivers, and the people of whom you find companionship on this journey, and if it is one person at a time, well, then I relate well.

Go with your grief. Go with your loss. Don't deny them. Give them your attention and let those two have their voice and soon they will tire and drift into the background behind your newer experiences of joy, love, and life!

Peace, and thanks!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. soph9

Oddometer:
    All ready looking at my next possible bike...since I like to do long distances and plan on another trip next Spring 2015...this could do the trick...plus, I am working on a post highlighting my trip pics and also comparing the F800 to the Tiger 800XC...

[​IMG]
  15. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    You are blessed and loved by so many - some of which you have yet to meet. I have followed your journey through tears and joy. May you always keep your head up and your heart open.
  16. soph9

Oddometer:

Nice of you to say. Back in the swing of things. This trip indeed was what the "doctor" ordered.

17. soph9

Oddometer:
    USS Shreveport (LPD-12)

[​IMG]
    Contributed by Mike Smolinski​
    USS Shreveport (LPD-12)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    International Radio Call Sign:
    November – Alpha – Delta – Yankee
    NADY
    What are the chances that I take a picture of a graveyard Navy ship yard and one of the pictures is that of a ship of blog reader, Kevin B. used to sail on. The USS Shreveport.

I was on my way to Revzilla in Philly this past June 2014 and stumbled across this yard on a back route.Thought this would make an interesting post for those who love old ships and are decommissioned.
    Kevin said to me,
    “Most every Sailor, always knows their first ship when they see it. No matter how many years it’s been or how bad a shape it’s in. Hard to explain really…lol”
    “A lot of history to that ship. Real shame their going to turn her into razor blades.”
    See below the picture some interesting facts that I learned after Kevin sent me this link. Thanks Kevin and thanks for idea for a new and different post on my blog. I would have never known this name or history of this ship.

[​IMG]
    Awards, Citations and Campaign Ribbons
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Precedence of awards is from top to bottom, left to right
    Top Row – Navy Unit Commendation (4) – Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation (2)
    Second Row – Navy Battle “E” Ribbon (6) – Navy Expeditionary Medal (2- Lebanon) – National Defense Service Medal
    Third Row – Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (2) – Southwest Asia Service Medal – Armed Forces Service Medal
    Fourth Row – Humanitarian Service Medal (Op. Intensive Look) – Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kuwait) – Kuwait Liberation Medal (Saudi Arabia)​
    Austin Class Amphibious Transport Dock:

• Laid down, 27 December 1965, at Lockheed Shipbuilding Corp, Seattle, WA.
    Current Disposition, laid up at NAVSEA Inactive Ships Philadelphia, PA. awaiting disposal

• Launched, 22 October 1966
    • Commissioned USS Shreveport (LPD-12), 12 December 1970, CAPT. Pehr H. Pehrsson USN in command
    • Shreveport is assigned to Amphibious Group Two, Naval Surface Forces Atlantic, and is homeported at Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek, VA.
    • Decommissioned and struck from the Naval Register, 26 September 2007, at Naval Station Norfolk, VA.
    • Current Disposition, laid up at NAVSEA Inactive Ships Philadelphia, PA. awaiting disposal

Specifications:
    Displacement 9,734 t.(lt) 17,326 t.(fl)
    Length 570&#8242;
    Beam 100&#8242;
    Draft 23 ft.
    Speed 21 kts.​
    Complement 24 Officers400 Enlisted​
    Flag Staff Complement 90​
    Troop Capacity 840​
    Boats, Assault Craft (well deck capacity) 1 LCU, or 2 LCM-8 or 4 LCM-6(ships boats) 2 LCPL, 1 motor whaleboat​
    Armament two 25 mm MK38 chain gunstwo Phalanx CIWSeight 50 cal. machine guns​
    Aircraft two CH-46/CH-53 or four UH-1/AH-1, or two AV-8B Harriers​
    Propulsion two Foster-Wheeler boilerstwo DeLaval steam turbinestwo propeller shafts, 24,000 SHP​
    Another shot I took as I past by this ghostly area outside Philly was this one:

[​IMG]

Amazing I have to admit Kevin noticed his ship and then sent me a comment. Small world in some ways. In any case…I hope you the readers find this as interesting as I did.​
  18. deepaksaligram

deepaksaligram ADV begins !

Oddometer:
    Another brilliant RR, read in one go ! You have a subtle way of keeping us hooked through your RRs. cheers :clap

Sorry for the loss, Life goes on, this too will pass.
  19. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    Love it ! :clap:clap:clap
  20. soph9

Oddometer:
    it's getting easier thx

I have to do a best pic post lol