“If you’re going through Hell, keep going.” - Solo X Country 2014

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by soph9, May 3, 2014.

1. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    My SpotWalla link is live now but only test mode...will track my trip starting Saturday...

Here is my route I took in 2011 to Alaska via SpotWalla

Another cool fast trip in 4 days was Dawson Creek, BC

and for my 2014 X Country Trip this is the LINK

I will be testing it out tonight and if all works out I will post this on the first page.
  2. DarknStormy

DarknStormy DL1000

Oddometer:
    :drums
  3. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
    Safe travels Soph
  4. soph9

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

She's ready and I'm ready to start in the rain!

If you see typos it's my phones fault!
  5. Kawi-Mike

Kawi-Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I too will head out tomorrow but not solo. My wife, brother in law, his gf and my best friend and his wife all are doing a short 5 day ride starting in Santa Fe NM then Colorado, Utah, Arizona and return back to Santa Fe. We are lucky to have good weather to ride in. Be safe, concentrate on the road but enjoy the jouney! It's a great start on the next chapter!!!
  6. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Subscribed! Sounds like a much needed trip to clear your head and get things back on balance.

Holler if you need anything in TX or MT (peeps in both states).

Best of luck and looking forward to reading the RR.
  7. K7TNT

K7TNT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now get out and have fun. Ride safe,:thumb:thumb
  8. ErikMotoMan

ErikMotoMan Airbag crash survivor!

Oddometer:
    In Motorcycle Heaven since 1990 - So Cal!
    Safe travels, we'll be looking out for you ! :clap:clap:clap
  9. soph9

Oddometer:
    Nothing like getting woken up at 0215 to three dogs barking in the house and then I made the mistake in letting them out and all hell broke loose. We have bears around as well as many other creatures. I did not see anything but the dogs had a scent.

The culprits...

[​IMG]
    So, innocent looking here :wink: Sierra and Cruizer

[​IMG]
    and this one...although 14, Xander was the leader!

So, my Lab/Shepard X and Beagle went howling up my garden, surely waking up all the neighbors to catch something, while my little guy just barked orders from the lawn.

Again, I saw nothing but that means nothing in a dogs world. I finally got them down and quiet and now I am up...I need to nap but today I leave, 1 month, just me and my bike....I am prepared for all the weather that is being reported back to me from across the nation.

Bike is a bit heavier than when I traveled with 2, but it's pretty balanced and I am sure I will get used to it.

[​IMG]

I am not taking a whole lot of tire tools. As I stated before I am really not the best mechanic and I do have BMW roadside and BCAA if really needed. I brought with me tools that can fix easy things, tighten loose screws, bolts, stuff like that, and plugs holes. As always a tire pump too.

Here she is tucked in hours before we leave.

[​IMG]

What I like about the Jesse panniers is how narrow they are. They do not stick out past the handlebars. Mind you these are only 8 inch Safari bags, they don't make them anymore but make 9 inch. If I could change my panniers I wouldn't mind that extra inch for a solo trip but I packed smartly and everything is definitely snug.

I have a tent, stove, Therm-A-Restspace and sleeping bag. That takes up quite a bit of room in general. If all I was planning was credit card lodging I would have space to spare. I need to watch the $$ spent on this trip.

Going through a separation you never know how much the actual separation will cost. So far a lot in more ways than one. I have mixed emotions about this trip. I am used to having Cheryl at my back for thousands of KM's. I am just used to having her on all my trips for the last many years.

It's always been Cheryl & Leslie....

My trusty head set, Cardo Q3 will help entertain me on the road. I have audio books and ton of music.

[​IMG]

So, my journey begins today...to "find" myself, try to come to terms with this whole new concept of just Leslie, will I want to stay and live in Canada? I mean I came here for her. Lot's of thinking...lot's a new memories to be made from this one simple trip.

I will do my best to keep coming with the updates but I have to see how my routine goes while actually on the trip. How much time I have to try and do everything. Check out the first page, SpotWalla is working and live as long as I remember to correctly connect my SPOT Connect each day, and Face Book will probably be the easiest place for quick updates.

Back to bed for a few more :snore and I should be out the door by 0800-0900 or so.

Again until next time...
  10. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    Today is the big day :clap safe travel and great weather. I bet you had problem sleeping last night... I know I would.

This should be good.:lurk
  11. soph9

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

On the road first gas up and snack! Weather is perfecta out 12C.

12. K7TNT

K7TNT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap Ride safe,:ricky:lurk
  13. Kawi-Mike

Kawi-Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ride safe and by the way I have always been A Kawasaki man but your BMW is really a sweet ride

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
  14. Augo

Augo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in - good luck, stay safe.
  15. BioMedic

BioMedic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good luck and have a great ride!! What a perfect way to think through things.

Oh, and your bike looks amazing and is pretty much my dream bike....hopefully more reality than dream one day. Have a great time.

...looks like you are I'm Castlegar, you should drive up to Nelson if you haven't been there before. Lots of great spots for food/rest and booze.
  16. soph9

Oddometer:
    Day one okay. 629.8 kms. Rain, cold through the mountain passes and more rain. Started out great. Since I don't set up camp when it's raining in a motel in Castlegar, BC. Pics to come and heading to the USA tomorrow in the rain. But what would a trip be with me on it without rain?

17. soph9

Oddometer:
    No pics today wifi is not strong enough. Shall see about tomorrow. Going to be honest it was an emotional roller coaster of a day more in the update and plus, I'm so angry at my SPOT Connect it's eating batteries every 3 hours. I mean is was cool out but the lowest it got was 5C. I'm not happy!

18. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shitbag.....I just saw this. I'm gutted for you and have been there before....I'm really proud of you for sticking yourself out there and pursuing travel solo. There is nothing quite like solitude on the road, I'm sorry yours wasn't necessary chosen. You've got stones, you'll be alright. Bring tissue, pull over when you get really sad or pissed....ride safe and smile. You'll be fine. Watching like a hawk!

PS...reading your blog and noticed you're carrying your meds on your person. Please consider doing the same thing with your SPOT, for the same reason....being separated from the bike.
  19. soph9

Oddometer:
    Keep watching and tissues...right on that one...just a tough time but will make things work and for sticking myself out there? You would not believe the amount of emails, messages I am getting from all over about heart break. Thanks for checking out this RR. I need to find a rhythm to be able to do all that I want to do and keep up the blog and here. In time...I need patience.

Spot is mounted hmmmm
  20. K7TNT

K7TNT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your spot wall trip map is way cool. :freaky