“If you’re going through Hell, keep going.” - Solo X Country 2014

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by soph9, May 3, 2014.

1. jmcg

jmcg Turpinated..

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to following along on your travels.

:thumb

All the best.

JM.
  2. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    I love following other riders especially if they put in long days. I will check in throughout the day to see the progress...so, thanks for going to the Spot Walla site...and think it's cool...
  3. soph9

Oddometer:
    thanks JM
  4. manshoon

manshoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Be safe. I know the feeling of being hopelessly lost in misery and how it can take over your train of thought in a moments notice, just by seeing a sight or reminiscing of a smell while traversing the wide open road.

Keep a sharp eye out for critters, cagers, truckers and cops, enjoy the ride.
  5. GaryAK

GaryAK Easy Going

Oddometer:
    Hey Leslie,

Nice mileage day - respect. Getting ready for our launch, on breaks I checked your SPOTWALLA page in concert with the weather site - looks like you picked up rain a couple hours in and looks like you still have rain. Oh well - early test for your new KLIM gear.

That first day on an ADV ride is always a bit weird, and given the circumstances - well, let's just say you ROCK! :rayof

Two more sleeps and we leave the driveway for 38 days - we'll be checking in on you on our ride, and of course, we'll be with you in spirit. :nod

If the cosmic universe deems - maybe we'll meet up on the road. :norton

Safe travels and be well...:wave
  6. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    Day one under the belt.
  7. soph9

Oddometer:
    Let's talk about my pet peeve from day one real quickly. My SPOT Connect is sucking up batteries like there is no tomorrow. I have emailed them about this because it's not acceptable when you use lithium batteries to power a device that they last only a few hours. Went through 6 yesterday and had to replace them after I stopped for the day to start fresh. OK, rant done!

[​IMG]

My neighbours came over to my garage before I left in their PJ's to say good bye and good luck. I thought that was sweet. One of their hubbies on his way of work caught this pic of me heading east right after I left my house.

The weather started out great. Perfect for me to ride. Cool, over cast and no rain until I hit the interior of BC. Changed to cold, rain and that lasted all the way to Castlegar, BC through the mountain passes. Was too lazy to get the heated gear out but today I am prepared for T Storms, rain and cold into Montana.

[​IMG]

Today mark a big day for me. Not only heading out SOLO for the first time but again to protect some of my privacy I will reveal that while I left, there was a moving truck at my house and when I return there will be big holes inside my home missing "things" so Cheryl can have a something for her "new" start in life.

My day in my head was full of ruminating thoughts, questions, feelings and emotions. I played a lot of music to try and drown out any negatives and it partly worked. I just could not get completely away from that gnawing gut wrenching feeling. Even seeing an active Osprey nest with chicks did not allow me to escape my thoughts.

[​IMG]

I knew this would be a difficult day on levels I can't even explain....and it was. But for the sake of my personal saga I will not cloud this entire report using it as my therapist. Instead I will take all the PM messages, emails and posting of support as comfort and try to focus on the glass being half full. Not easy for a type A control freak like me.

My ride from Maple Ridge to Castlegar was uneventful in the sense that things went OK despite the weather of course.

I got a good view from Anarchist mountain outside Osoyoos, BC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a familiar route. Did it in 2010 going X Country as well. I decided to stay in Canada for the first day just because. My views like this would have been plenty if it wasn't for the low cloud cover.

My selfie and the flash went off it was that gray out after I left this vista.

[​IMG]

Oh, need to sneak in a pic of my beauty. Need to rethink some packing. Maybe relocate items etc. Will work on this day to day.

[​IMG]

I ended up doing about 628 KM's day 1, and was hoping to try to get in over 700 today. But we will see how the weather turns out. They are warning of T storms, rain, and cold. I am prepared today with heated liner and gloves for anything. My new KLIM Altitude did as expected in the rain. I stayed dried but the light colour is getting really dirty fast. Not a big deal but I rather have the suit a little darker colour, not black but something that will not show every piece of crud that hits you.

[​IMG]

Saw this cemetery along the road. It's a Aboriginal cemetery. Just tons of simple crosses. Eery sort of.

[​IMG]

Staying on the pavement for a while...not going to deviate too much on the way east but coming home I might explore some more. So, this was it...rain for the rest of my day. I don't set up camp in the rain. I will if it starts out dry and rains...no biggie. But I ended up a motel in Castlegar for the night with bad WiFi. ;-)

[​IMG]

I am off to Montana today via Creston. Will head South from there and try to find pockets of drier weather but I think I am out of luck until Tuesday who knows. Maybe there will be a break.

[​IMG]

Solo day 2 will commence in a few hours. Need to shower and eat of course. If I miss comments my apologies. I just a many things on the go and if there is a question or something in particular you want to know...PM or email. Thanks. Here's to a day with better thoughts, clearer mind and embracing my trip.
  8. NotAllWhoWanderRLost

NotAllWhoWanderRLost So Many Roads...

Oddometer:
    Despite the wet weather it sounds like you had a good first day out. Have fun and keep smiling! :clap

Would it improve the battery life of your SPOT if you carried it in a warmer location in a pocket versus mounted on the bike?
  9. soph9

Oddometer:
    The SPOT needs direct satellite view

If you see typos it's my phones fault!
  10. BCBackRoads

BCBackRoads Travels with Gumby

Oddometer:
    Having followed your previous trip north, I really enjoyed your writing and photos. Sorry to hear about your break-up but kudos for heading back out on your own. I will continue to follow along.

A thought on your SPOT connect. It understand it connects to your cell phone either by Bluetooth or by wireless. Is it possible it is communicating constantly? If so, that would truly eat the batteries on both the SPOT and on your cell. There should be a way to turn the link on or off as needed. likely on the app on the cell phone.

Edit: I had a look at the SPOT Connect web page and they show battery life both connected (via Bluetooth) and not connected. The battery life drops drastically when connected. You could try turning off the app when not needed to stop the Bluetooth connection.

Have a great trip. Wayne
  11. soph9

Oddometer:
    I'm trying closing the app and see if it still tracks. Thanks for looking it up.

12. emerson.biguns

emerson.biguns All idiot, no savant

Oddometer:
    :nod

Try two things.

Place the phone closer to the SPOT. (If you want to leave it connected via Bluetooth. Where is the phone now, in relation to the SPOT?)

Turn off Bluetooth on the phone. That will ensure that there is no connection and the SPOT won't continually try to regain its connection if lost (too far away). Closing the app may not necessarily kill the connection. What phone are you using?

It will still track without a Bluetooth connection.

Ride safe.

John
  13. soph9

Oddometer:
    Phone is in tank bag right next to the spot. It needs BT to track no?

iPhone 5S

I turned off BT can someone let me know if it's still tracks? I will stop in a few hours and check thx

14. BCBackRoads

BCBackRoads Travels with Gumby

Oddometer:
    A track showed up time stamped 11:35AM

Seems to be working fine without the Bluetooth.

Wayne
  15. thickwicket

thickwicket Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Leslie,

Greetings from the Lower Mainland!

Yep, you are still tracking: Spot is showing you halfway between Bonner's Ferry and the Idaho/ Montana state line, moving along Route 2.

My thoughts are with you ALL the way. Ride safe and take good care of yourself, your heart and that great bike! :clap

Gavin
    Vancouver
  16. soph9

Oddometer:

Nopei it died without BT. And battery life getting worse. Going to call Spot tomorrow and ask for help.

17. soph9

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gavin and you are from Vancouver I see. Tracking has died might try one more set of batteries and then see what spot says tomorrow

18. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great start for your trip, have a great time!

As for your Connect: try phone in airplane mode w/ wifi and bluetooth off. This saves battery in Phone and Connect. To send a message just turn bluetooth on and send message, then off again.
    I'm sure there are other wiser folks out there that have good or better suggestions, but this worked for me and gave me much better battery life than you seem to be getting.
  19. soph9

Oddometer:
    Need some BT for my music lol

20. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer: