“If you’re going through Hell, keep going.” - Solo X Country 2014

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by soph9, May 3, 2014.

1. i.candide

i.candide n00b

Oddometer:
    Loving your trip. Hope you find what you need.

When riding a crosswind, point the windward knee towards the wind about 20 to 30 degrees. This will help stabalize you and the bike by breaking (dirtying) the stream.

Good luck
  2. TourinD&S

TourinD&S Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have really enjoyed your pics, great job for on the fly. Absolutely beautiful scenery. Funny, but my husband and I are crossing the country to visit Calgary/Banff/Jasper, etc. in September! When I go to the Spot tracker, it looks like you started just below there, although from the report, I see you came from somewhere else.

I am glad you are feeling better...seeing more :D in your report! Enjoy and I hope you get a new spot soon...
  3. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    Did the Northeast in 2010. I Love New England...and thanks for the invite. Heading upstate NY right after Long Island.
  4. RonPogi

RonPogi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I notice you have a sticker Philippines Flag, whats the story behind it? I'am a Filipino and I'm happy to see that your bike.
  5. soph9

Oddometer:
    I woke up early this morning thinking I won't wait for Cabelas to open and buy a new SPOT device, I will head southeast and get some mileage under my belt. Sun was shining, packed up quickly and headed towards what I thought was Casper, Wyoming.

THOUGHT! Now, I could just not admit this stupid mistake but I shall share because this trip is all about learning, making mistakes, seeing what works and doesn't. Stuff like that.

785 KM's for the day. Sounds pretty good eh? Well, it would have been a very productive day if all the KM's were in the direction I should have been heading.

My lesson for my life is when adding routes to your GPS trip DO NOT HIT REVERSE direction. I actually got on my bike and headed northwest for 90 miles until I realized I had been this way yesterday. I had good music on, the direction felt NOT right but hey it's my GPS? Then it dawned on me...OMG I am so not going the correct way. I yelled in my helmet "SHIT". Pulled over and sure enough my GPS was sending me home.

[​IMG]

This picture is of the wrong way...so, what this did was actually make me ride over 310 KM's out of my. I was like holy crap, now what? I shared this secret with one of my neighbors at home and she said after I said Saint Christopher wasn't looking out for me..."Maybe he did keep you safe, maybe you went in the wrong direction for a reason? Maybe you "needed" to go back and get that SPOT, I think you are right where you are supposed to be."

At this point when I got the TM I was indeed in Cabelas parking lot with a Gen3 SPOT in hand. My neighbor has known me for awhile but only since Cheryl left have I really gotten to know a few of the great mom's/friends/wives they are. This person, and you know who you are...is wise and I have been bothering her with TM throughout my trip. :D

[​IMG]

She was right, it was bothering me that I did not have a device that worked. Not only because my Connect malfunctioned but I really do feel a bit better being out here alone with tracking and roadside assistance just in case. Oh, and SOS. So, my day of riding did not really begin at 0700 like I planned, it began more like 1330.

[​IMG]

Not a lot of pictures today. A lot of catching up riding. I only made it just past Casper, WY. The winds once again were brutal and I also am getting sunburn on my face with wind burn. My neck is has a bad rash. Not sure what exactly is causing that. I am using the same gear etc, except I think the collar of the Altitude is rubbing me in the wrong way.

Other than that I am holding up. Good thing I worked out quite a bit before this trip or I do believe I would be really sore. I got hit with only one weather storm cell today. I rode around another. I rather get rid of this head wind, x winds and get more of a tail wind.

Gas mileage is crappy, using 5L/100KM but I remember this happening on my 2010 BMW F650GS going across the nation as well. BAD mileage heading east, great mileage heading west.

[​IMG]

Not sure what is going on with my pants. Look like oil but it's not. Like I said yesterday I will see what happens after I wash the suit. Weird on the leather part too.

So, I am not going to bore you pics of yes, I-90. I hopped on to an Interstate to make up for my mistake in the morning. Made for a fast almost 500 KM's.

As my new friend and neighbor would say, "things happen for reason Leslie". And I guess my mistake today was not a mistake after all. BTW, my colleagues think I am crazy riding two wheels except one. But I know myself and I also know it takes about 3-4 days to get into a long trip.

I was right. Something clicked today. I am feeling better...problem solving my own on the road issues. Ones I never had to, like navigation. :rofl

I am the happiest when I am on my bike. My sister asked me is this therapy? I said...ummmm YEP. It is really. For those who read this and understand what a bike and ADV touring does for the soul, you know what I am talking about.

I promise to take more pics tomorrow and focus on the direction I should be going right at the start. I cannot really believe I admitted to not paying close attention but I did.
  6. soph9

Oddometer:
    A blog follower from the Philippines sent it to me as well as the POSER decal. Glad you are happy. I like it. Hope it's not rude where I put it?
  7. BioMedic

BioMedic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can totally picture the moment when you realized you were going the wrong way. Hilarious. ...at least it meant you got a new Spot. :)

Good luck and keep the posts going. The shot of your bike with the mountains in the background the other day was a great one!
  8. manshoon

manshoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can contribute some of the Bad Mileage from the headwinds/xwinds ect.. Doesn't your GPS have a track back feature to it ? On my Zumo 660 it shows me where I have been with a small light blue line, should I forget where I was or need the way out from where I came ect.

The marks on your clothes might be your legs rubbing the side panels or seat rubbing off what ever color to get to the natural leather.

Might want to turn that on if you do have it. Highway pegs help with fatigue, I never leave home with out them any more.

Safe travels.
  9. Me4speed

Me4speed Dirt/pavement=Relief

Oddometer:
    For someone who has an extremely good sense of direction (talkng about my self) I've been able to navigate L.A., S.F. Seattle and vancouver B.C. and not get lost (all this with no maps before GPS), But i can count the number of times that things go smoothly, your listening to good music, and things are going well enjoying the moment till you realize your in auto pilot going the wrong way, yes that happens to the best directional persons.

Smile and enjoy the ride, at least your on your bike, i got 34 more days till i get on mine, been since Sept of last year since i rode mine, so please put some miles on for me.

Happy miles and safe travels to you:clap
  10. soph9

Oddometer:
    I think I agree with your assessment about the pants. I hope to stop at KLIM in Idaho on my way home and show them the suit.
  11. DrydenRider

DrydenRider Sun Seeker

Oddometer:
    Looks like the dye in the leather is coming out. Maybe where they are rubbing or connecting with your crash bars. The top connection on most crash bars gets hot as it is tied into the top engine mount. Are your legs rubbing there? If it is the dye coming out I would bet Klim covers it.
  12. soph9

Oddometer:
    Don't think my legs hit my crash bars but maybe at times. Never felt it. I stand a lot and hold the bike with my legs. In sure After I wash them we see if it's the leather or dirt lol.

Kawikazi why not call Klim?

If you see typos it's my phones fault!
  13. AndrewT

AndrewT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed...we've exchanged comments about Montana on Facebook.
  14. soph9

Oddometer:

Good to know and thx

15. motoracer51

motoracer51 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Ah. I always enjoyed walking Port Jefferson and taking in the sights. I miss those old waterside villages. I grew up in St. James.

Safe travels and hopefully the weather cooperates!
  16. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    If you need a potty break/overnight stay/local guide in Maryland, let me know. We're in Baltimore and there's a great breakfast joint within walking distance of my house. PM me if you have need! Looking forward to the rest of your RR!
  17. soph9

Oddometer:
    Weather is nasty and thanks for the invite in Maryland

18. msprygada

msprygada Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am thinking that the gray is wearing off the surface of the leather. You can see where there is a continuation of the dark area above the leather patch on the fabric and this looks like you are rubbing your leg against something that goes across both areas. But since the fabric has color all the way thru it can not wear off like the leather.

A quick test would be to take a knife and scrap a very small spot and if it is black underneath, then that is your answer.

While having gray might match the white suit better, having the leather natural would not show such wear like it is.

Maybe they thought that the ladies suit would only be worn in the back of a GoldWing where you would be just lounging and not piloting the bike across country.......boy are you proving them wrong! :clap they needed someone like you as a long distance torture tester of the suit before going to production with it. :lol3
  19. Goldie05

Goldie05 Fast George

Oddometer:
    I'm in too, subscribed.
    I will follow your progress and hopefully we can meet when you come through NJ. Keep safe and remember to get in touch, you will have a place to stay by the Jersey shore. :D

I added your blog to my constantly updated list of motorcycle blogs.
    You can see it here:
    http://allmotorcycleblogs.blogspot.com/

You can read about my adventures here:

http://www.riding-the-usa.com/
  20. DarknStormy

DarknStormy DL1000

Oddometer:
    Until they send you the wrong direction. Not embarrassing at all Leslie, which is what riding is all about the stories you get to tell when things don't go as planned.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>:thumb</o:p>