“Perfect” camera for on-the-fly pics?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by WeazyBuddha, Jan 23, 2010.

1. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve perused the threads but am giving up and starting this one, especially since camera models seem to evolve by the day. I’m looking for a simple camera I can attach to a lanyard and use on-the-fly from the cockpit with gloved hands. My old Cybershot is crap for this. Assuming basic (non-Ansel Adams) quality is covered by most cameras these days I need two things. A large power switch, slider would be best I think, and a large shutter button. Some zoom would be nice but not necessary. Would the HERO fit the bill or is that one better suited for use on a mount?
  2. FrankS

FrankS ...please wait...

Oddometer:
    Quality-wise, almost any camera these days fit the bill (I’d prefer a Panasonic with the Leica lens or a late-model Canon, though) but since you want to take pictures on the fly, you probably shoot them left hand(?) go to the nearest BestBuy or even WalMart and see which one(s) you are most comfortable with operating with your left hand. Easy shutter button operation is one thing but also check how easy it is to unintentionally press other buttons. No good if you accidentally switch to macro mode or a black&white mode…

Regards

Frank
  3. ThumperDRZ

ThumperDRZ Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer:
  4. FriedDuck

FriedDuck Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer:
    No experience with it, but the Canon D10 (point & shoot) has a built-in connector for a cord and caribiner. It's also waterproof and it seems like you could clip it to your jacket & just shoot when you want.

This page shows some shots with the cord attached. Barring that I'd look for a camera that's reasonably weatherproof and that has some semblance of a handgrip. The Canon A series are comfortable one-handed. Some of the long-zoom P&S cameras also have better ergos for shooting without worrying about dropping it.
  5. gosling1

gosling1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That 3rd World Country know as South Carolina
    The Pentax OptioWP series was recommended a few years ago by another inmate - went out and purchased the 6MP version off of eBay - they've since replaced it a few times with higher resolution models, etc. Mine has worked flawlessly - have it attached to a D-ring on my Wolfman tankbag using a "GearKeeper" available at most truckstops or Aerostich...has taken a beating out on the TAT, including being on the wrong side on the bike went it decided to take a "nap" in the middle of a muddy OK field - got immersed in lots of mud, but continued to work fine after being washed off.....of course, YMMV :deal
  6. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, looks like things are starting to roll now with some good SPECIFIC advise & recommendations. Thanks! The Canon A720 IS mentioned in the thread linked by ThumperDRZ looks like a good candidate. Now I need to get my grubby hands on one if I can. The last time I went through Best Buy, etc. I did not find anything I liked i.e. BIG shutter button and EASY TO WORK power button. This is from a review on the A720...

Attached Files:

7. laukkanen

laukkanen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    big thumbs up for the D10, i replaced a powershot 750 with it. totally waterproof and multiple ways to attach it where you want so you can just let it drop out of your hand without worry (takes a little getting used to that sensation...)
  8. AmuleK

AmuleK On a bike, no one asks "are we there yet?"

Oddometer:
    I also suggest a camera resistant to shock, temperature extremes and moisture. I've have a really tough Olympus that I use for this, but its buttons are on the small side for gloved hands. It takes great pics though, and has a great wide angle.

I wrote about it in this thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372672
  9. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

I suggest you buy the combo camera / GPS from garmin.

The Garmin Montana has either a 5 or 8 mega camera. Basic point and shoot

With the rugged mount...it sits on your handlebar always ready.

It has quick release so on and off not an issue.

Has a glove friendly touch screen

Is tough waterproof ect...

AND...you need not carry it on your body

Scott
  10. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    I use an Olympus TG-860 "Tough" series. Waterproof and drop proof. Geotags photos and shoots video also.
    I wear it on a tether around my neck and it sits in my lap or on top of my tank bag. I am right handed but I shoot left handed so I can maintain throttle. I like this set up because I can shoot to the side or over my shoulder and never worry about dropping the camera.
    A few shots from yesterday...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought a Nikon AW130 for my Alaska trip this summer. I've done a couple of rides so far with it hanging around my neck with the strap that comes with the it. Took a bit of time to get used to turning it on and shooting with my left hand. Now that I've figured out how to do it I'm satisfied. The AW is water/shock proof and appears to shoot great stills and vids.
  12. portablevcb

portablevcb Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to use a Fuji for that. I went to the store and tried out a bunch, with a glove on (yes, it looked funny) and left handed. Pick it up, turn it on, snap pick. I stuck a piece of velcro on the front of the camera body and mating piece to the tank bag.

But, I found it way too distracting to use. Most of the time I wanted to take a picture I needed more concentration on the road.

I'd suggest one of the helmet mounted cameras and set it to burst mode. Their quality is just as good as any of the point and shoot types. Especially if you can get one with a handlebar switch. Then look where you want and snap the picture.