“Southern States” meeting of the german Boxer Forum

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GSPeP, Jun 11, 2003.

1. GSPeP

GSPeP Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I spent my long weekend at the “Südstaaten Boxer Forum Treffen” in Germany. The meeting (4 days) was held in a castle/hotel in the small village of Pommersfelden near Bamberg - Bavaria. There were 110 bikes (all BMW boxers) and about 140 people.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 1 – Friday (getting there) :

I left home at 7am to do some 450 Km (280 miles) to visit an uncle of mine in the neighbourhood of Gelnhausen. After lunch and some chit chat I left there at 3pm to do the remaining 250 Km (155 miles) to get to the event. I got there at 5:30pm and was happy to have arrived (my @ss was starting to hurt). Friday afternoon is terrible on the roads in Germany, especially when it’s the start of a long weekend. All the germans are driving home from work at the same time. I was lucky to be on a bike. Otherwise it would have taken me 2 hours longer to get there.

[​IMG]

After getting settled in my room and having taken a shower (temperature was already 30°C (86°F) that day) we had a meeting where all the activities of the following days were explained.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After all the speeches were done, it was time to start on the german beer, and getting to know each other. (I’ll tell more about the two kids in the following picture later)

[​IMG]
  2. GSPeP

Oddometer:
    Day 2 – Saturday:

On Saturday we all participated in a ride of about 270 Km (170 miles). All twisties and nice scenery.

It was a hell of a job to organise this ride. 110 bikes in one line of more than 2 Km long (1.5 miles) through the countryside (Frankenland). But the germans are well known to be organised, so the ride was perfect. There was a difference of only 7 minutes between the first and the last bike. No accidents, and only one flat tyre.

Before departure:

Here are the kids again. Dad and mom each had a bike with sidecar and each of them took a kid. You could really see on those kids’ faces that they enjoyed it.

[​IMG]

The line was growing. At 9am temperature was already at 27°C (80°F)

[​IMG]

After about two hours riding, we had our first stop. This picture should give an idea of the amount of bikes. Temperature had risen to 30°C (86°F)

[​IMG]

Find the Advrider sticker …

[​IMG]

There were some nice bikes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This bike was owned and driven by a woman: (about 15% of the bikes were driven by women. Most of them had the big GS)

[​IMG]

At about 1:30pm we stopped for lunch. The whole restaurant was reserved for the bunch. Food was ordered in advance so no one had to wait long. Again a very good organisation by the germans.

[​IMG]

Bikes were parked everywhere:

[​IMG]

Another nice bike:

[​IMG]

After lunch, we continued the tour. Temperature had risen to 33°C (91°F). At the following stop again everyone started to drink and removing the heavy motorcycle gear. The following two pictures were taken at the same spot.

Looking forward
    [​IMG]

Looking backwards:
    [​IMG]

Then I spotted this …
    [​IMG]

In the evening there was some kind of meeting in the yard of the hotel/castle. Stickers were sold for sponsoring of the website www.Boxer-Forum.de With more than 5000 members, traffic has grown as well as the costs for it.
    Also an amount of 1800 Euros was handed over to the organisation “Toyrun for Children”. They collect and buy toys for children hospitals in Germany.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The “meeting” went on till late in the night. The guy on the left in the following picture is the owner of the german Boxer Forum. He told me he received some Advrider stickers after sending some Boxer Forum stickers to the US.

[​IMG]
  3. GSPeP

Oddometer:
    Day 3 – Sunday :

Coming out of my room I had this view:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Again I took some pics of some nice bikes:

[​IMG]

Have a look where his turnsignals are:

[​IMG]

On Sunday everyone could choose from several activities. On could do another tour like the one on saturday, or one could participate in an off road tour (which was very dusty). Others did a short ride into the town of Bamberg. I decided to head east, direction “Erzgebirge” in the former German Democratic Republic.

On top of the “Auersberg”. One of the highest points in that area:

[​IMG]

Altitude: 1025 m (Approx. 3360 feet)

[​IMG]

A nice view from up there

[​IMG]

In the afternoon, storm clouds appeared in the sky, so I rushed back over the german autobahn. Even at speeds of 100 miles/h the it was hot on the bike. At the hotel/castle it didn’t rain, so most of us gathered outfdoors.

[​IMG]

This is me (the one with the glasses) … why didn’t I look a little bit more friendly there??? … Perhaps my glass of beer was getting empty.

[​IMG]

The hotel allowed a limited number of people to bring a tent. They had their own little place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of their bikes:

[​IMG]

They had so much fun, I decided to stay there for the rest of the evening

[​IMG]
  4. GSPeP

Oddometer:
    Day 4 – Monday (going back home)

A good time had come to an end. It was time to get back home. After taking some last pictures of the castle …

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

… and bikes …

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

… I did some 200 Km (125 miles) to get back to my uncle’s place. Didn’t take the autobahn this time, which is 250 Km (155 miles). I had so much fun driving this part of Germany that I didn’t stop to take some more pictures. It took me three hours to get, but I enjoyed every second of it. After a few hours at my uncle’s place, I left at 5pm to do the last 450 Km (280 miles) with only one stop for gas and was home at 9:20pm.

Some stats for those 4 days:
    Total distance according speedo: 2128 Km (1323 miles)
    Total distance according GPS: 2037 Km (1266 miles)
    Total driving time: 23 hours and 25 minutes

I hope they organise this event again next year.

All the pics can be found here: https://gspep.smugmug.com/gallery/8844
  5. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    :clap Great writeup, great pics! I've always wanted to do a fly & ride, load my bike on Lufthansa and spend 3 weeks just riding over there.

Man, a K12 on the Autobahn........... :yikes
  6. Ostrich

Ostrich Jaded and Happy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting. That was great. If they do it again next year feel free to take us along again. :thumb
  7. Ruskie

Ruskie Banned

Oddometer:
    Most excellent report and pics!

I wanna go too!

Next year is our 30th. Renee' and I have an idea to fly our bikes over and ride for 6 weeks.
    Presently it is a fantasy:(:
  8. Bitt

Bitt Wanderlusting

Oddometer:
    :thumb - Great report - Thanks!
  9. GSPeP

Oddometer:
    On sunday, when I was doing 100 mph to beat the thunderstorms, a K1200LT flew by me on the autobahn. It must have done at least 125 to 130 mph

I just found this picture of me wearing the Advrider T-shirt. It's a bit covered by the leaves, but you can recognize the logo. Not all of the participants have posted their pictures yet. Perhaps I'll find a better one later.
  10. Matthias_Z

Matthias_Z n00b

Oddometer:
    a really good description of what we did in Pommersfelden. We had lots of fun - and for sure we will repeat that next year.
    There will be another big event in autumn this year (also organized by the german boxer-forum). We expect something like 200 people and 150 BMWs. Feel free to come over and visit us.
  11. porterfish

porterfish Debaser

Oddometer:
    Great report, thanks for writing.
  12. GSPeP

Oddometer:
  13. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    Stunningly good pics and report! I love these ride reports from the continent ... it gives us such a different perspective and yet shows how alike we all are.
    Nice job!! :bmwrider
  14. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:
    DoubleDingDongDang great report! Wish i could have gone on that ride. The pics are great!

Thanks!

nk
  15. freaking RT

freaking RT will golf for food

Oddometer:
    nice :thumb