“The country through which we passed today was diversified…”

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Revelstoker, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Revelstoker

Revelstoker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My woman said, "Hey Pedro, you're actin' crazy like a clown."
    Nobody feels like workin' Panama Red is back in town.

New Rider's of the Purple Sage

Woke up this morning to hear that The Lion of the Senate had died overnight. Since I was in no rush this morning, I hung out and watched a little TV, had some complimentary muffins & coffee and at 9:01 started the 640 and rode across the street and got myself a little Pacific Pride.
    [​IMG]

Hugh is a character – reminded me of a Johnny Cash/Merle Haggard hybrid. Ends up that he owns The Oregon Hotel where I stayed. I think he shuts the station down early in order to fill the hotel up. He asked if I had stayed in the John Wayne room!
    [​IMG]

I cut as straight a line as possible heading North – doing a real mix of gravel and pavement today. I really like how patriotic Americans can be – definitely not afraid to show the colors.
    [​IMG]

I was wondering if this cowboy came up with this name in honor of his wife…
    [​IMG]

The further North I headed, the less lucky I became. I had no real plan and was just scrolling out the GPS to see where a particular road ended…if it looked like it was the right direction I’d follow it. I liked the look of this sign.
    [​IMG]

The road was well groomed, it headed North. What could go wrong? 40km’s into it, I hit this with the only alternative being to head South. I backtracked out to the pavement where I had turned in. If I had a gun, I'd have shot the sign too.
    [​IMG]

15km’s later, I came to another road that looked promising on the GPS. Alas, I was denied here as well. This was getting discouraging. No other States had I run across so many private roads – especially one’s with locks.
    [​IMG]

Decided to ride the hardpack for awhile – all the backtracking was killing me! You can just see small portions of the pavement in this shot – it was very nice riding.
    [​IMG]

You’d think I have a thing with tractors with some of the pictures I take! I don’t really although the color scheme on this one made me think of my 640 – orange with red hubs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can hunt but I cannot ride.
    [​IMG]

Basic navigation in this neck of the woods – head North as far as I could go, then head West, repeat. Beautiful fields of wheat, much of what had just been mowed down by the combines.
    [​IMG]

I was really surprised by the Northern part of Oregon – I had no idea that these rolling hills were so pervasive. This could be the Canadian Prairies.
    [​IMG]

The Oregon Trail. I think I may have crossed this somewhere earlier in this trip…or was that the California Trail?
    [​IMG]

30,000km on the 640 in just over two years. This bike has been a gem – not one problem since the day I picked it up at the dealership. I think I may keep it for a little longer.
    [​IMG]

Crossing into the tenth and final state of this trip. It is interesting for me to cross the Columbia River as I live on the same piece of water except a 1000km’s away, or so.
    [​IMG]

The gratuitous bike shot. The fire had raged through this area and was actually still burning beside the road in some areas.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Road signs were down everywhere. Anything that could burn or melt had.
    [​IMG]

I ended up in another motel room tonight. I had gotten hooked on the news of Kennedy’s death this morning when I had time to kill and was interested in seeing what America was thinking and how it was feeling. I watched Olbermann. I watched Fox. I watched CNN. Then I went back to Olbermann.
    [​IMG]

But not before I drank some Bud.
    [​IMG]
  2. kktos

kktos on a bright side of life

Oddometer:
    Rich,
    we need a happy end !
    Finishing on K's death and u alone in a motel is a tad gloomy ! ;oD
    Anyway, for a guy from the old continent, ur trip is a fantastic inspiration !
    We'll do it sooner or later ! And Expect a bunch of frogs to spam u with hundred of queries for information ! :D
    cheers to you :1drink
    /thierry
  3. Revelstoker

Oddometer:
    Thanks Thierry - I needed someone to kick me in the ass. There is only a day or two left and I've been delaying the inevitable...the end of the trip! I think I know deep down that when the ride report is done the complete trip will be done as well and maybe I don't want that quite yet. And I can be a procrastinator at times.
    Standby.
  4. Bartron

Bartron 'Tenacious B' the Bike Punisher

Oddometer:
    'Stroker, put some of that fancy coffee on and get going! The rag I've been wiping the drool off my keyboard with is drying up - let's not let that happen.

Waitin' for more!
  5. Holaday

Holaday Man of Leisure

Oddometer:
  6. Sandino

Sandino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good job my friend, great post and amazing pictures!
  7. Revelstoker

Oddometer:
    Trailer for sale or rent
    Rooms to let, fifty cents
    No phone, no pool, no pets
    I ain't got no cigarettes
    Ah, but two hours of pushing broom
    Buys an eight by twelve, four-bit room
    I'm a man of means by no means
    King of the road

Roger Miller

I was keen to roll this morning. It was a beautiful day out, I’d had my fill of TV and I was getting close to home. Today I’d cross the border and be back in Canada…exactly four weeks since I left home. 467 asl – it seems like forever since I’ve seen such a low altitude. Both the GDT and the TAT are consistently high elevation riding, at least for a Canadian.
    [​IMG]

Sagebrush Flats – rather appropriate moniker for the whole trip. Not only was the elevation of this trip a surprise, but as mentioned previously; the prevalence of sagebrush throughout the USA.
    [​IMG]

Topo US showed this road turning to gravel and punching straight through to join onto Hwy 97, but I decided to believe the sign. I was feeling like I was getting too close to home to start dealing with dead-end roads.
    [​IMG]

I thought this would make a nice residential conversion – except it was in the middle of no-where.
    [​IMG]

The irony of this sign was not lost on me.
    [​IMG]

The ride through central Washington was much like that of Oregon – a mixture of dirt and pavement. The only prerequisite was that the road had to head North. A lot of the fields were being turned under. I hope that this farmer had A/C in his tractor.
    [​IMG]

10,000km’s. I was on a narrow two lane bridge when I hit this mark and couldn’t stop so ended up with an extra 5 meters for the picture.
    [​IMG]

My good luck with no mechanicals and no flats ran out right as I was in the line-up for Canadian Customs.
    [​IMG]

I had felt a slight squirminess but had attributed it to the poor road condition, but in fact I had a slow leak in the rear tire. Rather than fix it on the side of the road, I rode 1km to the closest gas station, found some shade, the air hose, bought a RedBull and suffered through it for the next hour or so. I’m not a fan of flats, but I was grateful that I flatted where I did.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made it to Oliver, BC and flatted again! This time I rolled right into a great Mom and Pop motel – Robin, the inn-keeper had a nice little bike he was proud of. He said he liked my bike better though.
    [​IMG]
  8. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    Sad to see it is so very close to the end. I've been checking my messages daily in hopes of you finishing it, but at the same time I'm very sad. What a ride, and what a ride I would love to do.

Thanks again Rich. I hope once you have finished what will probably be only one more installment, I would like to see a nice summary/ epilog post. Best of- worst of sort of thing. Be nice to hear from Gary as well.

b
  9. Hockeygod

Hockeygod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great reading... thanks for sharing. I hope to do this trip in 2010, so I may be PMing you for tracks / advice. Maybe you will want to do it again??!!

+1 for B-Rod's idea of a summary - the good, the bad, the ugly... and the "next time I'd..."
  10. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    Ditto on the tracks/ routes. I'd love to at least get some info for the CDT.
  11. kktos

kktos on a bright side of life

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    :huh
    I didn't expect to see french on this side of CDN !
    Those damned frogs are everywhere !:D
  12. Revelstoker

Oddometer:
    Feel free to contact me anytime for tracks/advice. We should do some BC riding next Spring!
    I don't see the GDT in my future - Gary & I were talking about this the other day; it wouldn't be the same. One of the great things about a ride like the GDT is that everyday is a surprise and that is what makes it so cool. Talk to me in 12 years when my daughter has her m/c license - I would love to show her this ride!
    What I do see in the future is something like the Pacific Crest Trail...
  13. Revelstoker

Oddometer:
    Well that mountainside's just gonna sit there
    That river's gonna rush on by.
    But don't ask me to hang around
    I couldn't stay here if I tried
    I'm your Ramblin' Man and I can go where I choose

Jimmie Dale Gilmore

In true ADV Rider fashion, I wasn’t going to take the easy way home. Robin , who you may remember did the first few days of this ride, met me in Penticton. Our plan was to get one last ride in before I headed home and also to watch our friend Mike do the Ironman. Not an early start for us. Mike on the otherhand, had started his race at 7:00am.
    [​IMG]

Beauty & The Beast - Mike's bike gets a little support prior to the Ironman.
    [​IMG]

After watching Mike head off, we headed up the old switchback road to the Nickel Plate Mine.
    [​IMG]

The mine behind Robin. I’m thinking that this mine isn’t operating anymore – wasn’t a lot of action up here.
    [​IMG]

It was great to get a ride in with Robin. He likes to push the 950…out of tight spots!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We made it to the peak of The Apex Ski Resort. It’s quite a nice ride to the top. Lot’s of great quad trails and old mining roads to explore in this area.
    [​IMG]

We made it to the top only to discover that there were no easy ways down…just the way I like it.
    [​IMG]

Robin descending off of the peak.
    [​IMG]

Robin's 950.
    [​IMG]

The trip from Penticton to Revelstoke is just over three hours. If I had been truly conscientious, I could do the trip almost all off pavement, but I think I’d had enough for today! I pulled into my driveway and took a couple of shots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Would I do anything different; No.
    Would I do it again; Yes…when Holly has her M/C license.
    The trip is complete.
    Thanks for reading.
    It’s great to be a member of the ADV community and have a spot like Adventure Rider to be able to share all of our memories.
    Read about other people’s experiences.
    Inspire.
    Remember.
    Thank you for being part of my journey through America.
    Word out,
    [​IMG]
    Revelstoker

Come on let's take a ride
    To the easy plateau in the back of your mind
    Up through the alley, take the door under the stairs
    My head ain't feeling nothing but cats and rocking chairs
    Bad nights lead to better days
    It never happens but I think about it anyway
    I want an easy plateau
    Some place to hang my head

For everyone alone I wish you faith and hope
    And all the strength to cope
    To be your own best friend have confidence and keep the faith
    Be patient the past is just a memory
  14. redpillar

redpillar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for a really entertaining read. Great pictures and lyrics of songs gone by, perfect combination!!
    I would like to take you up on your offer of some of your tracks.

Redpillar
  15. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    bravo bra fricken O
  16. Revelstoker

Oddometer:
    Here are a few shots that Ronyx took prior to leaving.
    Ronyx rocks with the camera!
    My '07 640 - last night at home for a month or so. If you look closely you can see my HP2 tucked nicely away in the garage!
    [​IMG]

Gary may have been a short order cook in his past life because he does a damn good job in front of the Weber. Here he is playing it like a musician!
    [​IMG]

Marinated chicken for the masses. I don't think that I'm this slim in real life...nor am I really that old looking.
    [​IMG]

Snowshoes from the 1950's hanging by the backdoor.
    [​IMG]
  17. BCBackRoads

BCBackRoads Travels with Gumby

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot for taking the time to write up this truly excellent ride. I've really enjoyed the pictures and captions.

Wayne
  18. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    Thanks once again for an excellent read and great pictures.

b
  19. Revelstoker

Oddometer:
    Thanks for reading gentlemen. Your comments are much appreciated!
    More pictures from Ronyx are on the way...
  20. Rellik

Rellik o-KAY!

Oddometer:
    Fantastic ride!

I grew up with the Dunham's son. It's nice to see they have retired (sort of!)