¡Baja, te amo! - Pics from my ride to Mexico

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by HiggyB, Nov 18, 2009.

1. kaipara

kaipara Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed that!
    Cheers
  2. TemeculaRider

TemeculaRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just did a very similar route, except I turned south and went to Bahia de Los Angeles for a few days on Hwy past Cocos, then came back north. I did that road to Mike's from the south too and it took me 1 hr 45 min from El Coyote and it was the first day of Baja 1000 practice! THAT SUCKED! Never again!

I wonder what that road to Punta Baja was like. I'll do it next time.

Will go read the full report now. Next time if you want someone to ride with, let me know. I have to admit, riding alone is pretty nice though!

Thx man...
  3. windburn

windburn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice report. I have traveled twice to Mexico in the last two years and the kids in Army uniforms look very young.
    :clap
  4. xdbx

xdbx Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    Higgy and Temecula, I'd like to tag along as well! :deal

Higgy, is that a 130 series T63 or a 140 series Desert on the rear? :ear
  5. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice run amigo. I like your packing system as well. Please elaborate.

Time for you to get your butt over to mainland Mexico now and enjoy it with the rest of us :thumb
  6. HiggyB

HiggyB El Pollo Gordo

Oddometer:
    Well that's less time than the time it took me to part way there, struggle with a hill climb, then turn around and sulk my dumb ass back out the way I came. Doh!

The road wasn't particularly spectacular in and off itself, and the fishing village at Punta Baja is a bit crusty and all that, but it was a nice lil' dirt scoot to start the day and it offered me my first real view of the Pacific Ocean on that trip (I'd only seen the gulf side of Baja thus far) so that made it extra cool for me. Plus, I'd rather start the day on dirt than pavement so it made a good dessert after breakfast at Mama Espinoza's. I recorded a lot of video on this trip, including that run in particular, I have to get that posted at some point and you can see for yourself.

Please do read the full write-up, I hope it adds a bit more to the photos! As I mentioned above there are videos on the way too, I took 20+ hours of footage on the trip and am (slowly) going through it and hope to edit it down to something reasonable by, well... the end of the year?:rofl

As to the riding/traveling alone versus with others, I like both as each mode offers different benefits. I'm generally very social and so even when traveling alone I can generally find folks to chat with wherever, such was the case on this trip. Next time though, I want to go with others, specifically my long time friend Terry (Adventure Trio, he posted just above), he was supposed to have gone on this trip but unfortunately had to back out. Beyond that I'm open as riding with a small posse (4-6) as that could be fun as well. Small enough to not be too much of a drag, but big enough to split in two to suit different tastes various days if needed. :evil

Prior to my trip I read reports about age of soldiers at these checkpoints but when I reached that first one I still found myself thinking "what, are you 12?!" :eek1

Read my comments above, I'm open for whatever. My mind is on a March/April trip, possibly for two weeks to get to Cabo and back. I'm once again lining up trip report links as I didn't research much south of where I went (outside of a brief look at Bahia de Los Angeles which was ruled out due to time constraints - if I had just one more day!).

'Tis a 140. This was my first experience with the Deserts and while they were a bit squirrely when new (duh!) once they worn in I thought they were a great tire.
  7. HiggyB

HiggyB El Pollo Gordo

Oddometer:
    Tank Bag:
    Camera, first aid kit, sun glasses, Plexus, pocket knife, map, etc.

Camelbak backpack (some snowboarder model):
    Water, NetBook laptop, various plugs/cords/etc., anything extra I bought along the way (2 t-shirts)

Dry Bag (small yellow strapped across the top):
    Tent, sleeping bag, 3/4 length sleeping pad

Giant Loop Great Basin Saddle Bag (larger yellow one over the rear seat area):
    Street clothes (minimal selection), shoes, riding clothes (socks, UnderArmor shirts/shorts), cooking kit (small stove, pans/dishes/mug, etc), bath kit (toothbrush/paste, soap, camp towel, etc.), food (2 camp meals, some energy bars, instant oatmeal & coffee, 1.5l of water, spare tubes for bike

Kolpin CARB Fuel Pack Jr (red box on back):
    Spare gas (1.5 gallons)

Under Seat Compartment:
    Tools, inflation kit, etc.

Let me know if you want more detail or want to ask any specific questions!

This past weekend Terry and I tossed around the idea of the ride down to Cabo, then the ferry from La Paz to Mazatlan, then ride back from there as part of that two week idea. Perhaps that'll work out...

Much research to do so those interested, let's all stay in touch!
  8. HiggyB

HiggyB El Pollo Gordo

Oddometer:
    I've been asked via PMs and the like for the GPS track from this ride and I've finally gotten off my lazy ass to pull it off the GPS unit so I can post it. Here is a zip package that contains a GDB file that is the GPS track of my ride (I happen to use a Garmin 276C), I was storing points the whole way (IIRC every 1/4 mile or so) and so anyone interested in a closer look at the route I took can give it a peek. Enjoy!

Note: I'm also starting to post video segments from the trip, if you want to follow along with that effort then check out my videos on vimeo.com. I'll update this thread again as I get various 'albums' completed (one for each dirt section of the ride). For now I'm working on the first album covering Puertecitos to Gonzaga Bay, after that Gonzaga Bay out to Highway 1 via Coco's Corner, after that El Rosario to Punta Baja and back, after that... yada yada yada. You get the picture.

:evil :jose :wink:
  9. irishdec

irishdec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks VERY MUCH for sharing these tracks with us,,,,,and taking the time and effort to upload etc....mucho gracias .If ya have any more that you'd care to share ,that would be great too,,,so long as they are do-able for a novice dirt rider.
    Regards
    irishdec:clap :clap :freaky

10. HiggyB

HiggyB El Pollo Gordo

Oddometer:
    LOL, I think that most of what I do constitutes more novice oriented riding... :rofl

With that in mind, I've not been good about keeping GPS tracks so that's all I have for now. Going forward I do plan on posting GDB files with each of my ride reports so hopefully I'll have more for you soon. As to the videos, there is a lot more on the way so folks can not just read about my riding in Baja, but watch it as well (as long/boring as it may be). :D
  11. dirtbound4Max

dirtbound4Max Hangin' 10 on the F8

Oddometer:
    HiggyB,
    Thanks for the awesome trip pics man! Sounds and looks like an awesome route. Originating out of SD and contemplating a trip like this myself, I'm curious as to what waypoints you hit along the way...............Sean
  12. HiggyB

HiggyB El Pollo Gordo

Oddometer:
    Well, the general route is covered in my ride report, but I do have a GDB file (GPS track) of the entire trip, if you want it then let me know and I'll pass it along. But the general summary is this:

San Francisco -> Ojai
    Ojai -> San Diego
    San Diego -> San Felipe (enter Tecate, MXC2 to Mexicali, MXC5 to San Felipe)
    San Felipe -> Gonzaga Bay (via Puertecitos)
    Gonzaga Bay -> El Rosario (via Coco's Corner then MXC1 North)
    El Rosario -> Eréndria (run to Punta Baja in morning, then MXC1 plus off-road)
    Eréndria -> Eréndria (day of failed attempt to get to Mike's from the south)
    Eréndria -> Tecate (MXC1 north to Ensenada, MXC3 east to Ojos Negros, off-road to MXC2)
    Tecate -> San Francisco (yawner day of slab work)

If there any specifics you want then just let me know! :D

Looking forward to 2010: I spent three hours yesterday hanging with a friend and fellow rider, eating BBQ, tipping beers and chatting about a return ride in March. It looks like we may roll down for two weeks together and go to Cabo and back (now I gotta drag my friend Terry - aka Adventure Trio here on ADV - along with us!). Then we're hoping to follow that up with a continental divide ride in the summer (June or July).

I can already tell that next year is gonna rock! :clap
  13. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    that was a cool run...congrats..:thumb

i always enjoy baja and thanks for taking us along.
  14. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome report. Thanks very much.
  15. dirtbound4Max

Oddometer:
    Tom ~ Cool Man! I'd appreciate the GPS tracks info. No hurry though, my newborn Son (Max) will be keeping me busy over the winter and it will most likely be June or July before I can head out. No worries though, I've already purchased a Jeep attachment that should allow him to come along - No problem! Anyway, thanks for the offer and the cool posts. Take care..................Sean
  16. afmracer

afmracer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool RR. Fellow BARF'er here. I'm down for that March ride. Maybe we could extend it into mainland MX a little bit.

Oh and I feel your pain on that scary trail from El Coyote to Mike's Sky Ranch. I had no GPS signal and kept right on that trail and got lost. Scary times ... :lol3
  17. HiggyB

HiggyB El Pollo Gordo

Oddometer:
    Here you go: Baja 2009 GDB File

It's in a zip file, d/l it and let me know if you have any questions!

@h8chains & gatling: cool deal, glad you guys liked the RR!

@afmracer: love the handle, I briefly raced AFM first in 250SB (Aprilia RS250) then in FII (Yamaha TZ250), I still have both bikes and keep wanting to get back into it but this off-road thing tugs at me so... :evil If you're interested in going then drop me a PM with some contact info and I'll send you some information about the route ideas. Nothing is settled, there are a few others interested and so it's all going to fall into place in the coming weeks. :ricky
  18. stickman1432

stickman1432 Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So.Cal.& St George UT-Baja-riding anywhere
    That was a nice RR............next time you want to go to Mike's from the Pacific side you can take a very easy dirt road between San Vicente and Colonet that goes directly to Valle De La Trinidad. The road is call "Valle De Colorado", you passed it on the ride south to go by El Coyote. This is the road that all the locals take from Valle "T" instead of going all the way up to Ensenada. Check it out on your AAA Baja Map, (Location on map F-4). Nice information on Rancho Ojai on the Tecate side. :thumb :ricky :ricky
  19. HiggyB

HiggyB El Pollo Gordo

Oddometer:
    Yup, I knew about that road but (a) I was wanting to take that southern route in specific (bad choice) and (b) even if I wanted to take that road I was nervous as the Baja pre-runners were out and I'd be going the "wrong" (according to them) direction. Being as this was my first Baja trip I was worried about going against the flow of pre-runner traffic in some areas, including that one. Then, despite all my worries, I saw hardly any out there during my trip... DOH!

For other reasons that particular road is now on my tentative plans for a ride in 2010, mostly just to avoid the whole Ensenada area.

Good lookin' out though, I really appreciate folks sharing tips for this noob who's only just busted that Baja cherry. :D
  20. dirtbound4Max

Oddometer:
    HiggyB,
    Just noticed that you might be cruisin' down the CD this summer.............If that solidifies, let me know and I'll do the Colorado portion with ya (if that works into your plan)! I know all the great "Huevos Rancheros" joints!