¡Baja, te amo! - Pics from my ride to Mexico

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by HiggyB, Nov 18, 2009.

1. piratehood

piratehood Trail rider, dual sport

Oddometer:
    That was a pretty awesome report, I've never been on the east coast of Baja, been on the other side hundreds of times , I've always wanted to hit San Felipe, and now I'm inspired to do so,

Thanks.............:D
  2. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    Nice report.

A good mix of terrain and scenery.

I hope to be able to ride down there some day.

Thanks for posting. :thumb

Q~
  3. Ratman

Ratman Lucky Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pictures. I love those panoramic pictures. I use Window.live.com for their simple stitch program.

I went into Mike's from El Coyote a couple years ago on my DR350. That was a tough ride, that I won't try to do again. I don't blame you for turning back. Riding alone requires using your head a bit more than usual.
  4. oldairhd

oldairhd Septuagenarian

Oddometer:
    Last did Baja on old beemers in 2007 with two Bay Area buds. Great pics! I can almost smell the food. Enjoyed your report and new ideas of places to see. Following along in my maps and guide books I'm thinking: Erendria, Erendira? At least you got the accent in the right place, I don't know how. Better stopover than San Quintin where we stayed our first night on the way down, I'm sure.

Thanks for sharing.

Oldairhd, technologically impaired old guy
    Klamath Falls

P.S. Try to do Saturday night fiesta at Hotel Serenidad, Mulege on your next Baja ride. On our whole trip to Todos Santos and back, rippin' along side the dirt airstrip up to the hotel may have been our longest stretch off pavement, but we still had a good time!
  5. crtahoe

crtahoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Higgy- Friend of your dads up here in Tahoe. He sent me your pics and just loved your trip. Had me hungrey for huevos rancheros for a week. I am forwarding to the Blue Rider MC group.

Great ride look ofrward to meeting you in Tahoe.
  6. HiggyB

HiggyB El Pollo Gordo

Oddometer:
    I'll keep that in mind as I sort out any possible Divide Ride plans! :D

The eastern side was really nice, San Felipe was a great place to stop but Gonzaga Bay was even better!

Cool deal, I'm glad you enjoyed the RR!

I use a Mac-only program called Calico, works like a charm.

Yeah, I had to make the call as it was later in the day that I'd expected, rough going with no idea how much more, or how much worse, might lie ahead, so I made a safety call and turned around. While I can say it all logically now, at the time it was a tough decision to make then. The ego said "don't give up and be a wuss", the brain said "yeah, but it'd be nice to make it out alive and in one piece", good thing my brain won out over my ego. :lol3

Eréndria was a chill place to stop, I just wish there was at least someone else at Cal's while there. But in any case I had good times in the area, two nights in a row! :rofl

Thanks for the tip, I've spent the better part of this morning mulling over plans for my return ride in March (2+ weeks, Cabo and back). :thumb

Ahhh, South Lake + hunger for huevos rancheros = breakfast at Bert's! :clap

Here's another link to send along to the Blue Riders:

Riding the Southwest With Dad

It's for an awesome ride I did with my Dad in April, we met in Vegas and rode around Arizona/Utah/Nevada for a week+ together. Good times right there!
  7. miguelito

miguelito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Higgyb, thanks for the great report. It looked like your videos on vimeo covered the whole ride from Puertocitos to Gonzaga Bay? I was interested in riding my Versys that way on my way down to a shack I've rented in Mulege for the next few months and appreciate the extensive video work you did. Was there anything else, any more difficult between Gonzaga Bay and the highway? Also curious as to your ride time/mileage between Puertocitos and Gonzaga Bay. If you stop in Mulege on your spring trip, PM me and let's share a cerveza, (or some huevos rancheros;).
  8. zmotomann

zmotomann No Quarter Supporter

Oddometer:

Well said.
    Trust your soul it knows...
  9. HiggyB

HiggyB El Pollo Gordo

Oddometer:
    Yup, I have the entire ride from the south end of Puertecitos until I pull into Alfonsina's in Gonzaga Bay covered. I took occasional breaks and stopped the camera, but if I was moving my helmet cam was rolling.

No, in fact I'd say that overall the ride from Gonzaga Bay out to Highway 1 (via Coco's Corner) was in general easier than the ride down from Puertecitos. But check it out yourself as I also have the ride from Gonzaga Bay out to Highway 1 covered on Vimeo as well.

It was something like 50 miles total and I took two hours or so to ride it, enjoying myself more so than worrying about riding it as fast as possible.

Roger that. I'd say that for sure I'll at least pass through on the way down or back up so a cold beer will be had no matter what. :freaky

Thanks and :thumb