«EagleFeather»'s 7pass ride turns into 'SoggyBird completes 4'

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by EagleFeather, Jul 9, 2006.

1. EagleFeather

EagleFeather Flyin' High

Oddometer:
    We met up in Idaho Springs for what was supposed to be a 7 pass 210mile loop.

[​IMG]

It was very cloudy....felt like rain, looked like rain.....and before we could pull out of the gas station, it was raining.

We headed a mile south of Idaho Springs to immediately get off-pavement on CR-130 for the ride over Saxon Mountain to Georgetown. Now let me just say that I didn't know anything about Saxon Mountain - never been there, don't know anyone thats ridden it - I found it on a map and I just thought it would be nice to not have to take I-70 to Georgetown for our first mountain pass. Its only 18 miles from Idaho Springs to Georgetown via Saxon Mountain - no big deal.............I thought.

The weather conditions didn't help things much...

[​IMG]

And when there was a gap in the fog where we could see - we weren't exactly excited about what we saw.....and endless climb of wet, slippery rocks...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its a damn good thing I didn't let my ego get the best of me and take the Tiger (I thought about it right up to the last minute before I left), I took the KLR instead.

[​IMG]

So I'm waiting here for Lomax on his KTM 950 Adventure and Brenden/Brandon (Sorry, I'm horrible with names and don't know your screen name) on his BMW/Aprila f650/Pegaso thing :D, and I'm waiting and waiting.....I hear a motor....then I don't....

Finally they catch up - Lomax lost some traction on the slippery rocks and his 950A took a dirt nap on him. Those things actually have turn signals designed to pop-off instead of break - thats cool!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So we get his turn signal back on and his mirror re-adjusted and decide that we might as well forge on.

Between the rain, the fog and our unfamiliarity of the area, we took a wrong turn and ended up riding up to the top of Saxon Mountain (about 11,500ft) instead of just skirting around it. There is no way down from here except for the way we came - we only missed the turn by about a mile.
    [​IMG]

The west side of Saxon Mountain is a shelf road with about 14 switchbacks down into the town of Georgetown. Shelf roads don't normally bother me, but with all the rain, a gulley of water running down the trail and so much fog that you can't see how high up you are....it was erie!

[​IMG]

A little bit of a break in the fog - I think the road goes down there somewhere...
    [​IMG]

One of the few areas of dirt where we could stop for a moment.
    [​IMG]

Interstate 70 is down there somewhere....I think
    [​IMG]

There it is....and thats Georgetown Lake...we must be close...
    [​IMG]

The descent into Georgetown was littered with big slippery rocks, but it was fun. By the time we got to the gas station in town for an energy bar and a rest - we felt like we'd had a full days workout. 18 miles and it took us 2 hours to get here - not what I planned, but definately added to the adventure. Don't think we're gonna make all 7 passes today.....we haven't even done one yet.

As we headed up Guanella Pass from Georgetown, the weather got worse - hard rain, cold and the fog was so thick on the top of the pass that we didn't even stop. Its at this point that I'm realizing that MX boots are not waterproof and I'm starting to feel a puddle of water collecting inside my boots :huh

When we hit pavement again in Grant, Lomax decided to head back. His back and shoulder were hurting from encounter with the rocks. Brenden/Brandon and I decided that since we were already wet, why not press on. We decided to ride the 12 miles down 285, over Kenosha Pass (#2 for the day) to Jefferson and see what the weather was like on the other side. Plus, thats where we turn off to get to Georgia Pass.

The rain was even harder in Jefferson - when we stopped for a break and took our gloves off - we actually had water running out the sleeves of our jackets. After a coffee break at the General Store in Jefferson, it looked like the storm was sitting right over Georgia/Boreas Pass and Breckenridge and it looked a little better to the south, so we decided to ride to Hartsel, get gas there and then decide where to go. We took CR-15 which is about 25 miles long and wide open flat dirt. But today, it was wide open mud-track. What a blast - rain in our faces (between the rain and my visor fogging up, I ended up riding with the visor open the whole way), standing up on the pegs, 50mpg, blasting through the mud! Too much fun to stop and take pics.

We topped off the tanks in Hartsel, and with a brief break in the rain, decided to make a run over La Salle Pass (#3)

[​IMG]

It was wet, it was muddy.......AND WE WERE LOVING IT!
    [​IMG]

La Salle Pass road is one of my favorites! Not very many rocks, bermed corners, lots of water bars and whoops and just plain FUN! We blasted over to CR-77 and things looked a little more clear. We rode down to CR-211 and took that up towards Wellington Lake through the Haymen burn area. Its amazing how desolate this area still is..
    [​IMG]

We got stopped by a Forest Ranger to warn us that the road was very soft and they had just finished repairing areas where the road washed out.

It started raining again so I didn't get any pics, but I counted 10 areas we rode through where they had to repair the wash-out with sand and dirt. The road which is normally a fast, hard-packed dirt road, was soft, unstable, muddy and slippery - it was like riding on a wet sponge.

After a couple hours and crossing Stony Pass (#4) we finally reached Wellington Lake and stopped to stretch our legs. I can't believe how many people were out camping in the rain.

[​IMG]

It was getting late - later than I had planned, so headed for Buffalo Creek and pavement. Because of the time and conditions, we skipped Sqaw Pass and slabbed it back to Boulder. I think it will be a week before my gear drys out. I actually had to pour the water out of my boots when I took them off :lol3 .

Thanks, Brenden/Brandon, for coming out and playing in the mud - it was a blast!!! and I look forward to riding with you again.

Lomax, sorry about the damage, but glad your ok. Saxon was definately harder than we anticipated..........but, it 'was' an ADVenture!!

Back home - according to the GPS - it was 265 miles of rain, mud and fun!
  2. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Scott and Brendan (me too bad with names) thanks so much for the ride. Great ride report and pictures. I had a blast while it lasted. My waterproof :baldy gear is still drying out. I guess on a day like yesterday nothing will keep you dry.:evil As far as the bike damage goes it does not really bother me as this is what I got the bike for. If I want polished and gleaming that is what the Harley is for DOH!:D I will survive but did pull a couple of muscles and am self medicating as we speak.:wink: Next time we do a ride like this remind me to bring a smaller bike with better than stock tires. Oops that's right I don't have one now. Can I have the KLR back?:deal :lol3

As Scott said, "It was an adventure" and that is what we are supposed to be all about, right?

Cheers.
    Marc
  3. Audiholic

Audiholic Bring extra socks...

Oddometer:
    Guys, it was great meeting the two of you, thanks for organizing this ride!

Scott, thanks for taking the lead - On those muddy roads I could always judge my entrance speeds by the relative "slip angle" of your KLR!

Marc, I still have the wonderful sounds of your LC8 with Akras ringing music in my ears - I must get one of those machines, yours is a beautiful example! Glad we were able to rescue it from it's mid-morning dirt knap ;-)

I seriously don't know what to do with my gear. Hosed it off and left in the garage to rot. Seems appropriate.

-Brendan

PS - my poor bike is in the garage having an identity crisis because of the two of you!
  4. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful :thumb
  5. EagleFeather

EagleFeather Flyin' High

Oddometer:
    It was great meeting you too, Brendan, I was happy to take the lead. Now we just need to go back and do the passes that we skipped - I PM'd you my contact info so we can ride again soon.

Scott
  6. Deano955

Deano955 Insatiable

Oddometer:
    Now you know why I wasn't about to take my Tiger on this ride. I've done those trails (on my KLR).

Saxton without the rain
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought about joining you on the DR, but when I awoke, the rain was pounding. Call me a sissy.

Next time,
    Deano
  7. Lomax

Oddometer:
    Deano,

Thanks for the non rain pictures. All we could see was about 10 feet in front of us. Your pictures look very different.:lol3 and I can say, OH, so that is what the road looks like.:D

Cheers.
    Marc
  8. EagleFeather

EagleFeather Flyin' High

Oddometer:
    Still soggy!

So, this morning I go to get some stuff out of my Wolfman tailbag and move it from the KLR back to the Tiger and I notice it feels damp. :huh

I had the rain cover on it the entire trip, so why does it feel damp? I start taking things out of it...

[​IMG]

and as I lift out the cans of energy drink, I notice they are unopened, but empty......everything is wet.....and sticky.......eeewwwwwww.

Guess the trip was too rough for my NoFear energy drinks - both cans were beat up and punctured...

[​IMG]

Thats too frikkin funny.....:lol3
  9. Lomax

Oddometer:
    EWW! Sticky and damp. :eek1 It looks like you got some cleaning to do Lucy.:lol3

Marc

Hey where did our signature lines go to?:huh
  10. Deano955

Deano955 Insatiable

Oddometer:

Holy crap, you carry all that in your tank bag?
  11. EagleFeather

EagleFeather Flyin' High

Oddometer:
    I don't carry a tankbag - but I do carry ALL that in my tailbag.