±2,800 mile round trip w/Sidecar and 2-kids

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JRNisley, Jul 22, 2013.

1. JRNisley

JRNisley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am leaving out of Charlotte NC on Wednesday July 24th. Blue 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture with Blue California Friendship II sidecar and diamond plate aluminum trailer. My 2 boys are going with me.

We will travel by interstate from Charlotte through Asheville NC. On to Knoxville TN, Nashville TN, then head N.NW through Clarkesville TN and Paducah KY. Continuing through St. Louis MO and West to Kansas City MO. Redirecting North to the S.E. Corner of Nebraska. Our ETA for Nebraska is sometime on Friday, July 26th.

This will give us just short of 1,200 miles over 3-days. I hope to do about 500 - 600 miles per day, but would be pleased if we only do the 400.

On Saturday the 27th, we'll probably travel by car to Hiawatha KS for some dirt track racing. Hiawatha is about 60-miles from Steinauer NE, where my folks live.

We'll spend the weekend in Steinauer NE. After which ...

We may return directly to Charlotte NC ... OR ... we may go on to International Falls MN. That too would be by interstate, t/b/d by the Garmin. I think the MN leg is probably too aggressive with 2 boys aged 8 and 9.

If you see a hack running down the road with 3 goofy looking kids acting like they're in a parade, it'll be us. My boys would love to see someone join along or even go by waving and honking. They're as big a nerds as I am and we all have a great time.
  2. TouringDave

TouringDave Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer:
    Have a safe trip, your boys are going to love it! :clap

Post pics when you can. :D
  3. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing better than father and sons bonding with riding on the road
    :clap:clap:clap:clap
    Have fun and ride safe:freaky
  4. poolman

poolman Gnarly Poolside Adv. Supporter

Oddometer:
    JRNisley,

This sounds like a great adventure to share with your sons, I hope it all turns out well! This will certainly be a trip you talk about 20 years from now.

I love riding dirt with my two boys (and my daughter, of course), and they ride pillion with me on country roads, but I just can't find the confidence to take along on a major trip.

EDIT: It would be great to see a pic of your bike and crew!

Wishing you and your family the best,
  5. 2weelz4me

2weelz4me Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    pics or it never happend.
    so far it has not happend.:lurk
  6. JRNisley

JRNisley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I do not know how to post pics, or I'm not yet authorized as I'm still a "noob".

I tested my Spot today for my wife's peace of mind. Hyperlink disabled, but URL:
    <?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0lKKCfzmjFKvk1agRVqGXi8qD9ku3IiYx<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    08:00 EST departure.
    Although I don't know how or am unable to post pictures, there will most certainly be a photo log with stops at scenic places as well as state "Welcome" signs.
  7. JRNisley

JRNisley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's the best I can do @ the present time: http://ww.sidecar.com/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=11411

Aside from the Hack - looking to do X-Country next year on the V-Strom. All details pending.

Jim Nisley
    Charlotte NC USA
    certified IronButt rider
  8. JRNisley

JRNisley Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. JRNisley

JRNisley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    02-Aug-2013 Update:
    · Starting odometer mileage at departure = 38,720
    · Ending odometer mileage at arrival home = 41,536
    · Total logged odometer distance = 2,816 miles
    Biggest hazard: Female driver on Conference call giggling. Nearly ran us over not paying attention. In Illinois just south of Marion. I don’t’ think she meant to change lanes. Appeared she was having too much fun on the phone and just drifted into our lane. Small Red-Wine colored SUV.
    Hardest challenge: battling the sidecar drag & pull on 01-August when we logged 1,007 odometer miles.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    NOTE: Yamaha Odometers are infamously off on actual U.S. UOM.

:clap

Now my father/son trip is done. I'm prepping the Wee-Strom for some me time. :evil

(plenty of pix on facebook, but again I don't seem to be "okay'd" to post them here).
  10. JRNisley

JRNisley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you facebook view you can see my pictures. Or if you provide me your e-mail, I'll send you a few pictures, or if you want them, I can send you a bunch.

Jim Nisley
    Charlotte NC USA
  11. amzouri

amzouri Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Amazing round&#65279; trip
    The safety of God
  12. JRNisley

JRNisley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Okay, so I spend less time on the web and more time either riding or Scouting (i.e. w/the Boy Scouts). But if I can, a picture should be uploaded. Last time I tried, I was too much of a newbie and was not allowed.

Attached Files: