1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

¿Christmas adventure, Ouachita or Ozarks??

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by kstoo, Dec 4, 2014.

1. ArkieRider

ArkieRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definately run over to Pilot Rock Road ... Pilot Knob lookout or something like that called. Bohawk knows. Its a fantastic 360 degree view. The road up used to be alot nicer... then they graded it to improve for cage traffic I guess.

You have to look for the small track that takes you up to the plateau for the nice view. I need to drop a pin next time I'm up there to get the exact gps coord.
  2. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    This is the route we took a couple of years back on the big bikes.

Attached Files:

3. bohawk

bohawk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Long Pool to Jasper loop. The number at the end is the number of miles. This is all forestry roads. Food (Ozark Cafe) and gas are available here.

Attached Files:

4. bohawk

Oddometer:
    Long Pool to Oark loop. This has some short ATV trails. The only one that might be a little difficult is around 105 miles in to the ride at index number 5405. It takes you to a really nice overlook but it is a little rough in places. It can be avoided by staying on forest road 1441 a short distance further and then taking a right on 4540, which is where you will eventually end up, anyway.

Attached Files:

5. kstoo

kstoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    alrightythen! this plan is starting to come together! I got out of work early, I had a voice mail from BoHawk, I've got the AR topo and now there are some magenta squiggly lines on it. I'm going to head out this evening and get to Long Pool tomorrow afternoon.
    Thanks for all of your good advice and help, for the answers to PM 's. I am pretty sure to meet up with BoHawk sometime in the next week and maybe some other warmer day I can meet some of you others. Thanks again!
  6. bohawk

Oddometer:
    Long Pool to Pelsor loop. This one is mostly forestry roads, as well. There are probably 10 miles or so of ATV trails but nothing very difficult. It is 116 miles to gas in Hector.

Attached Files:

7. ArkieRider

ArkieRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wish I could join the DR650 rally.... I have one also... but i probably wouldn't be able to join up until after Christmas..
  8. bohawk

Oddometer:
    Long Pool to Waldron loop. This would give you a little sample of the Ouachtitas but there is lot of pavement to get there and back....a little over 100 miles of the 223 total. If I am not mistaken, the Ouachitas are the only mountains in the country that run east and west. Part of this track follows one of the ridge lines for over 30 miles.

Attached Files:

9. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. kstoo

kstoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That would have been fun if you had. I rode for hours following this hi-viz jacket and a little DR650 variety would have been nice.
    :D
  11. kstoo

kstoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. bohawk

Oddometer:
  13. kstoo

kstoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap
    That actually went pretty good. I did go to Long Pool to camp and we were the only campers in the non-electric side, a 5th wheel trailer came into the electric side later. Did not have to keep quiet or leash the dogs, much.
    We traveled Friday night and Saturday. Bohawk drove the DL1000 out Saturday evening as we were setting up camp. We rode Sunday. Bear in mind that I have been only commuting since September and was feeling a little bit off. The water crossing on beautiful road and the climb up to Devil's Knob lookout tower kinda got me my legs back, though. I was not used to water crossings like that; most of what I see are ATV churned up mud hole crossings or algae covered concrete. The swinging bridge was washed out. Apparently that is a regular thing.
    [​IMG]

Lunch at Oark.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Murray Chapel schoolhouse. DR650 's are late for school, by a few decades.
    [​IMG]

More RR to come, this is only Sunday 12/21.
    Bohawk was excellent at taking stills, I am experimenting with moto-video and took less photos. I am starting to post viddy here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAd-qfrHCP8&list=UUuyfeebyEEmTEmXm3Inq1Jg
    and
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEPoEBxK3zo&index=2&list=UUuyfeebyEEmTEmXm3Inq1Jg