¿Hablas Español?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by AntWare, Mar 5, 2007.

1. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    Is there a thread already that addresses learning Spanish?

Is there enough interest to keep one going?

I know in my ADD addled case only immersion will help, but unlike Lone Rider I have to hold down a job year round so jetting off to Guatemala for a couple of months is out of the question.

I’ve got the basics down and every time I go I pick up more, only to lose it again within weeks of leaving.
    I’ve been using these podcasts for a couple of months to help refresh my memory and find them pretty helpful.

They cover most of the useful basics in an easy to understand format.

It does teach “Spanish” Spanish and the fella’s over-exaggeration sounds as though he has a lisp, but, where different, they also tell you the Latin American pronunciations.

The guy/gal are both Glaswegian so their accents might be a tad distracting at first.

I’m not sure if my Spanish is improving but my Scootish is fecking brrrrrilliant :lol3

Maybe we can keep the discussion going and those that speak the lingo (Lobby, Adios Pantelones, Navigator etc.) could help us gringo’s out a little, maybe field a few questions, let us know what’s relevant, works/doesn’t work :dunno

Anyhoo, just thought I’d share.

Coffee Break Spanish
  2. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:
    Try Rosetta Stone interactive immersion software. I only got about 2/3 of the way through level 1, and my communication skills this year in Mexico were easily twenty times what I could muster last year. Never had a Spanish lesson in my life. This stuff is spendy, but it sure works. I still point and grunt, but at a much higher level. Understanding a native speaker at full chat (or at any speed really) is still a challenge, but I find I can read more and more of newspapers, signage, etc. I really was amazed at how much more I could do this year.

True what you say about losing it fast as soon as you leave, though.
  3. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    So, how spendy is Rosetta Stone? I've been thinking about that.
  4. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:
    It came in at just over 300 bucks with a discount code out of New Yorker, and including shipping. You may be able to do better if you hunt around, I dunno.

I talked to a couple of friends who are Spanish teachers, and a couple of folks who had used it for French and Italian. Good reports from all of them. Then I took a deep breath and jumped. I have since heard that it sucks for Thai, but I suppose anything is going to go pretty hard if you have no knowledge at all. We get a lot of exposure to Euro languages that shortcuts the process quite a bit.
  5. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Trata de mirar todas las telenovelas que puedas en la television, es una gran forma de aprender, por que todos los personajes toman mucho tiempo en desarrollarse y tu puedes entenderles muy facilmente despeus de conocerlos..

un amigo (Don Blass) me dijo muchos anos atras cuando me mude a los estados unidos.

"no te preocupes ricardo el minuto que aterize el avion tu encontraras una senorita muy bonita a la que le quieres hablar y antes de que te des cuenta estaras hablando en Ingles"

oviamente no es tan facil, por que tengo doce anos aqui y todavia tengo problemas comunicandome en ingles

buena suerte con el espanol
  6. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Use It or Lose It.....

That's the way it's been with me. After a long stretch north of the border and then returning to Mex, I become very frustrated with myself by having to think about each stinking word before trying to talk to the people.

There are many spanish language books at the book stores, and one that could be useful is 501 Spanish Verbs...or something like that. You can't do jack with some verbs, nada. Pick 20-30 of them, ones you might use on a trip, and make yourself learn one per day.

Make yourself speak Spanish at Mex restaurants and anywhere else the language can be used. Cashier at a convenience store? Sure thing.

If you decide to include some Spanish classes on a trip south of the border, take them as near the beginning as you can.
  7. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Hablen muy rapido, demaciado parra mi.

I'm sure I fcked that one up...:D
  8. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    I do ok speaking, but can't write spanish very well. I've just learned from trying while travelling, as well as getting to know some local mexican nationals that became good friends. In summer, we have asados at my house or thier house and try to practice each other's language as much as possible. We usually end up speaking spanglish, though.
  9. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Great, so now you wont be able to communicate in Spanish and we wont be able to figure out what the hell it is you are saying when you will be switching to English... :lol3

I am more than happy to help when I can. I often want to correct the Spanish people post here, but I try to avoid doing it too often, some people may feel it puts them on the spot, etc.. If you want us Spanish speakers to review/correct it, I'm sure it wont be a problem.

Gustavo
  10. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Lets pick on Bob :evil

Hablan, demasiado y para (only one R, parra is grapevine). Not bad actually, good use of vocabulary. Damn, I need another victim, er, volunteer... :D

Gustavo
  11. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's dog that has 2 r's....:D
  12. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Gordo tonto y contento.

Oddometer:
    San Diego, not Mex, but I can smell it from here.
    Wow... sure got you buffalo'ed. Glad you think I habla but you've seen most of my vocabulary here! :lol3

My most used phrase...

Lo siento, despacio por favor, mi espanol es muy pobre.

I'm sorry, slowly please, my spanish is very poor.

As said above... use it or lose it. I have the advantage of living in San Diego and can find a spanish speaker damn near anywhere. I employ one or two usually. One is Salvadoran and educated, so he helps with proper Spanish. The daily, slangy jobsite spanglish is handy with the right crowd but you'll sound like a dope around real people.

I would really focus on travel phrases and basics first. Directions, Ordering/finding food, booking a room or travel tickets. Basic manners and niceties. I'm a member of discoverbaja.com, they have helped me a lot with classes that focus on the above.

My travels have been mostly in Baja and find that even if you suck at it, the fact that you are trying goes a loooooong way. That and a big smile!

If you smile at me, I will understand
    'Cause that is
    something everybody everywhere does
    in the same
    language.
  13. AntWare

Oddometer:
    Hablar mas despacio por favor...yeah, that's one of the first things I learnt as well :lol3

Ricky, that's a good idea on the novellas but I don't watch too much tele.
    Maybe I can start watching the football on Telemundo :evil

Gustavo, I get the feeling that a lot of the canned phrases have us talking at people and sound rude or abrupt, but maybe that's just the way the literal translation make them sound. :dunno
  14. RSalvarez

RSalvarez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I learn to speak english in this way, is like find the tracback after a trip to a new place.
    find the link word ( like routes) , then similar words and educate your hear for the spanish hear poems and music , but not the modern regueton and similar crap.
  15. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    for sure never say something like...

Cuanto cuestan las mujeres..!?!?
  16. GSGIRL

GSGIRL Neither here nor there

Oddometer:
    Take me with you and I will bring a Spanish-English Dictionary. :lol3
  17. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

Just saying....:D
  18. rous44

rous44 Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. AntWare

Oddometer:
    Ricardo, quick, I need your help, teach me to talk dirty :deal

:lol3
  20. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:

Por las munecas, esta lo mismo de aqui. Un hombre muy rico, no necesita habla por shit.

Trabaja mas, y leerle ADVrider menos.

Howd I do Gustavo?:scratch :lol2