¿Hablas Español?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by AntWare, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Your New Mexican is excellent... :evil

I lived in NM for a little over 3 years. It took me a bit, but I picked up the local dialect quickly once I figured out how to bridge the English-Spanglish-Spanish mix. I had friends from Spain who were coming to do research in the summer. When the locals found out they were from Spain, they'd speak to them in "Spanish" and the Spaniards more often than not ask the "Spanish" speaking person to please try in English, because they couldn't figure out what they were saying in Spanglish. :scratch

Although, I have no problem understanding what you said, I hope Ant got it too... :lol3

Gustavo
  2. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Gustavo, feel free to correct me any time. I've lost my notebook from my Spanish class in Guatemala. I may find it sometime this summer when we unpack. Till then, I have to wing it.
  3. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    I enjoy hacking with it, but the past and future tenses kick my ass, pero aprendo y estudio poco a poca cada dia.
  4. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    Ant hopes Ant gets it too :lol3

I can't trust Gordy, we have a habit of getting each other in trouble.

Munecas :scratch Que es esto en ingles?
  5. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:

Muneca is a funny word. It can be "wrist" or "doll" depending on how it's used. As in " vamanos, tengo que comprar la muneca".

I have no desire to buy a wrist.:lol3
  6. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    I am sure everybody will understand what you were trying to say, but it would be better to say:

Que quiere decir en ingles?

or:

Como se dice en ingles?

Gustavo
  7. Raymee

Raymee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Years ago when I had a shop of Spanish speaking employees I found it necessary to learn Spanish. I began with an interactive piece of software much like Rosseta Stone, forget the name of it though, and found this was very helpful, I practised with it every day for a few months, you can't be lazy about it. What really opened the door for me were three things:

Learn the simple past and future verb tenses, as mentioned by LR, the book 501 Spanish Verbs is indispensable.

Learn the phrase: "Tener que + verb" which translates to: "I have to + verb"
    Example Tengo que hablar a Rosa manana. I have to talk to Rosa tomorrow.
    Tienes que ir a Cabo San Lucas hoy. You have to go to Cabo today.

The verb Poder "to be able, can" We use this a lot in English and really difficult to communicate without
    Example: Puede(s) ayudarme? Can you help me? Puedo tomar mas cervesas que tu. I can drink more beer than you.

In summery..verbs, verbs, verbs they are your friends, nouns are easier as there are many similar between Spanish and English.

Oh yeah I just remembered, I bought this hand held translator from Radio Shack that I used extensively, not sure if it is still availble, it had some fun verb learning games that really helped.

Verbs, verbs, verbs......
  8. Raymee

Raymee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Years ago when I had a shop of Spanish speaking employees I found it necessary to learn Spanish. I began with an interactive piece of software much like Rosseta Stone, forget the name of it though, and found this was very helpful, I practised with it every day for a few months, you can't be lazy about it. What really opened the door for me were three things:

Learn the simple past and future verb tenses, as mentioned by LR, the book 501 Spanish Verbs is indispensable.

Learn the phrase: "Tener que + verb" which translates to: "I have to + verb"
    Example Tengo que hablar a Rosa manana. I have to talk to Rosa tomorrow.
    Tienes que ir a Cabo San Lucas hoy. You have to go to Cabo today.

The verb Poder "to be able, can" We use this a lot in English and really difficult to communicate without
    Example: Puede(s) ayudarme? Can you help me? Puedo tomar mas cervesas que tu. I can drink more beer than you.

In summery..verbs, verbs, verbs they are your friends, nouns are easier as there are many words similar in Spanish and English.

Oh yeah I just remembered, I bought this hand held translator from Radio Shack that I used extensively, not sure if it is still availble, it had some fun verb learning games that really helped.

Verbs, verbs, verbs......
  9. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    I bought Level I&II direct from Rosetta Stone for $320 with free shipping.

The nice thing, though, is you can resell it on eBay. I looked on eBay before purchasing direct and the USED copies were selling for over $300 with $15-$20 shipping on top of it. And, people were actually buying them for that price. It's nice knowing there are still clueless people out there!

And, I'm not too far into it but it is far and away much superior to the ones like you get at Costco for $40 (ask me how I know:lol3).
  10. AntWare

Oddometer:
    OK now it makes sense :D
  11. AntWare

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gustavo, I guess I was thinking of it more as an object in which case your first example would be the way to go, no?

Como se dice en espanol? is a handy one to know.

What do you typically do if you're typing in Spanish?
    Have you assigned keyboard shortcuts to the ASCII characters?
  12. theturtleshead

theturtleshead Tits on a fish

Oddometer:
    Chupar is a very important word!!!:evil as is pene!!!
  13. RSalvarez

RSalvarez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hola, de todos los amigos extranjeros, lo primero que aprenden a decir son majaderias, sera por autodefensa, o los inducimos por el camino de la picardia???
    saludos desde mexicali baja california mexico
  14. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    Yes, if you wanted to know the name of an object, you could use that or como se llama en español? Of course, if you wanted it to sound better, it would actuallly be como le llaman en español... This refers to the object correctly, given that it really doesn't have a name, but rather is called something. Forget it, never mind... :bueller

The only one I have mapped is the ñ (mainly because the difference between ano and año is of great significnace :lol3 ). I only do accents when the muse strikes, then I have to look them up.

Gustavo
  15. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    Parece que asi es. Se decir majaderias en muchos idiomas que en realidad no puedo hablar. Creo que es un instincto que nos queda de nuestra infancia eso aprender a decir malas palabras.

Pasando a otro tema - conoces MotoAventuras?

Gustavo
  16. Julio_Babucha

Julio_Babucha Happy to ride my GS

Oddometer:
    One fecking good trick:

If your a BMW GS user : busca el CD del REPROM y aprendete el mantenimiento de la moto en español. Es muy util y menos pesado de aprender.

Then go for the girls. Teh best classroom is under the blankets..:D
  17. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
  18. theturtleshead

theturtleshead Tits on a fish

Oddometer:
    Being Scottish and also a huge fan of a British publication called Viz and it,s offshoot Rodgers Profanisaurous a dictionary of rude words and phrases,it,s gives me an enormous amount of amusment translating thing from Engish into Spanish,eg "I,m going to sink you bacon boat with my love torpedo" translates to"Voy a hundir su Buque de tocino con mi torpedo de amor"childish I know! but from my point of view a great way to learn spanish!!!:rofl
  19. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    This could be fun. Chupe mi pork sword kinda rolls off the tongue!:lol2

no pun intended.......
  20. Chubber

Chubber I am the Brewmaster.

Oddometer:
    If you want to learn Spanish, or any other language, without spending a lot of money, drop by your local library. Even my hick library has lots of tapes, CDs, DVDs, books and the like for learning foreign languages.

And don't overlook kids books. When I was learning Italian for a trip I listened to the tapes (and repeated, making my neighbors think I was bug nuts crazy) while I was walking the dog, and read some books for the kids along with a dictionary to get the feel for actual sentence construction.

And you could always sign up with a Spanish adventure moto internet group. Plenty to talk about there....