¿Hablas Español?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by AntWare, Mar 5, 2007.

1. theturtleshead

theturtleshead Tits on a fish

Oddometer:
    Just for fun here,s another one"last night I got luck with my girlfriend she let me touch the otters nose" or "Anoche tuve mucha suerte con mi novia,ella me dejo tocar la nariz de la nutria":evil
  2. bajarider

bajarider Mexican with internet

Oddometer:
    Mexicali, Baja Cfa., Mexico, Calexico,CA. US
    That slang you´re using varies from countries here in Latin America. Even here in Mexico are many ways to describe a simple thing or named in diferent ways. You just figured it , it´s not hard to catch the idea.

Y a la monda dijo sumo.:lol3
  3. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    So, has anyone else tried the podcasts I linked to?

Here's a breakdown of each one.

Lesson 1: Greetings and asking people how are they

Lesson 2: More on introductions and how to tell/ask names

Lesson 3: Tell/ask where you’re from

Lesson 4: More on where you’re from and/or live.

Lesson 5: About your family members

Lesson 6: How many brothers/sisters, sons/daughters you have

Lesson 7: What you do, where you work and whether or not you like your job.

Lesson 8: What you enjoy doing in your spare time.

Lesson 9: A review of lessons 1 through 8
  4. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    Lesson 10: Christmas/New Years (hey you should’ve been listening from the get go)

Lesson 11: How to say which languages you speak and ask for help understanding what is being said to you in Spanish

Lesson 12: Numbers and buying things/paying for things in cafes and restaurants

Lesson 13: Learning directions and the words for various places around town.

Lesson 14: More of 13

Lesson 15: Cafés/restaurants, ordering drinks.

Lesson 16: Cafes/restaurants, ordering food

Lesson 17: Cafes/restaurants, asking for a table, other common restaurant questions.

Lesson 18: Cafes/restaurants, special diets, complaints

Lesson 19: Review of 11 through 18
  5. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:

Ant,
    I didn't see the link. I went back to the first post and found it. Thanks, I'll try it out.:thumb
  6. Flying Gringo

Flying Gringo Coming Soon

Oddometer:
    A great systen for learning any language is the Pimsleur system, by Simon and Schuster. The entire system sells for about $1000 new or you can buy the individual 30 lesson units on Ebay for about $150-200 each.

Here's a link to the site http://www.simonsays.com/content/index.cfm?PID=523078&tab=13

The course is all audio and takes 30 minutes a day. The full course lasts 90 days. At the end of that time, you will be pretty close to fluent, and have sufficient skills to aquire more vocabulary from other sources.

Once you complete the course, the Learn in Your Car series is a great way to add vocabulary. It is not a good starting point for learning the language though. Another way to aquire the ear for spoken Spanish is pick a telenovela and put the close captions on, so you are seeing the words in Spanish as they are talking.

Now, I'm not going to advise doing it, but if you get limewire or bittorrent, you can find the full course for

FREE
    This is wrong, but when the day of reckoning comes and you have to answer to a higher power, you will be able to do so in English or Spanish...

7. Ostion

Ostion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where did you get that story about the king with the lisp????
    Do you happen to knwo what king that was????
    This is the most ignorant statement I have ever heard.
    There was no lisp. Try this "Marcopolo":
    The first expeditions that cross the ocean were mainly formed with people from the south part of Spain (Extremadura), with a slight accent and a different way of pronouncing certain words (i.e. southeners here in the US.)
    Your other option is also completely untrue I would personally love to prove to you, if you have time in between so much "historical reading".

8. rous44

rous44 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your other option is also completely untrue I would personally love to prove to you, if you have time in between so much "historical reading".

You might want to take a break and work on your sense of humor.
  9. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
    :norton
    Ey . . . he oido lo mismo k dijo Ant Ware. (Estoy hablando del rey; no de los maricones. Jejeje) No pienso k estuviera tratando ofenderte . . . una broma, no mas.
  10. Flying Gringo

Oddometer:
  11. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
  12. Flying Gringo

Oddometer:
  13. Motojournalism

Motojournalism motojournalism.com

Oddometer:
    +1 on Rosetta Stone and Pimseluer.
    Everything has strengths and weaknesses, so go with more than one system!
    Rosetta stone is great with the visual association and pronunciation (picture of a cat/ Latin American voice "una animal que es un gato") you learn the rules of grammar sort-of sub-consciously, and the fact that there is NO english to trip over, ie: no thinking in English and translating, it's just direct thinking in Spanish.

Pimseluer is good for learning important phrases and the accent, but it's VERY stuffy and formal "Good evening sir, can you direct me to the railway station?"

The one that's helped me most is "Spanish with Michel Thomas".
    It's set-up like your listening to a three-person class with the teacher, a really clever girl student, and a complete :asshat guy student who dosen't get sh*t. I think the idea is that you will fall somwhere in the middle of the guy and girl. Michel Thomas is great at explaining WHY things are the way they are in Spanish.

But the main thing is YOU GOTTA FIND PEOPLE TO PRACTICE YER CRAP SPANISH ON!!!

I've met lots of lovely South American ladies (talk about motivation...) through a university (though i'm not a student) and they're super happy
    to listen to listen to my awful mistakes.

I asked one Colombian girl to my house for dinner a while back. I wanted to say in Spanish, "would you like to come to my house to eat together?" But it came out as "Would you like to come to my house to eat each other?":baldy
    She thought that was pretty good :D

buen suerte amigo
  14. Ostion

Ostion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No offense taken, lets just check the facts before spreading false stories.
    I have heard this silly thing so many times and can't believe anybody really believes it.
    I have found out after living 13 years abroad that more than the dialect or the accent, it's the level of education that makes the communication fluent. It does not matter if spaniards with chileans or argentinians with salvadorians or americans with southafricans.
    Funny jokes are welcome,
    Here comes mine:
    "How would you know if a -desired nationality- has been in your yard?
    The trash has been eaten and the dog is pregnant.
    No harm feelings.
  15. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
    Apropos of the season, I remember one time asking a child if he was excited about the Easter Cangrejo. He thought that was pretty funny.
  16. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, I could see where you can get away with quite a bit and blame it all on a misunderstanding. :evil At least for a while. :rofl
  17. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    I know a joke.

Dos gallegos van caminando....

Just kidding. :lol3

Saludos,

Gustavo
  18. Ostion

Ostion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hola Gustavo,
    Where do you get the time to ride as much as you do, write those super long (and super nice) trip reports, keep up with all the threads in the major websites, english and spanish....?

f
  19. TengaiJohn

TengaiJohn Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually, I think the story goes like this:

Dos gallegos estan en un bar y uno le dice al otro ..... :evil
  20. Quetzal

Quetzal Guatemalan Import

Oddometer:
    Never mind Rosetta Stone or any of those Spanish courses, here's all you need to know for ordering food. At least you won't go hungry...:lol3

Read the first part as in English, it will sound like perfect Spanish, then print it out and you'll have a nice cheat sheet :evil

-Web us come ham on (Huevos con jamon) (Ham and Eggs)

-Web us come toss see no (Huevos con tocino) (Bacon and eggs)

-Web us tea be us (huevos tibios) (Poached eggs)

-Web us come shore is so (huevos con chorizo) (Sausage and eggs)

-Web be toes come free hall lit toes (huevitos con frijolitos) (Eggs and beans)

-Does stack kit toes door add it toes the Paul Joe (dos taquitos doraditos

de pollo) (Two fried chicken tacos)

-Does stack kit toes the car neat as (dos taquitos de carnitas) (Twos meat tacos)

-Come chill leap toes hall up pen Joe's (Con chilitos jalapeños) (With jalapeno peppers)

-Come chill lack kill less (con chilaquiles)

-E free hall lit toes (y frijolitos) (And beans)

-Train us on six the shell as (traenos un six de chelas) (Bring us six beers)

-Kiss sea ram most does tea kill as (quisieramos dos tequilas) (We would like two tequilas)

-See Gary toes (cigarritos) (Cigarretes)

-Much as grass see as (muchas gracias) (Thank you)