Discussion in 'Americas' started by stbob, Jun 18, 2013.

1. stbob

stbob   

Oddometer:
    ‪
  2. Moto Mikey

Moto Mikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a good ride. I'll be doing a very similar route in August on my way from Alaska to NY to FL.

I recommend adding Blood Mountain to your route. It's a nice twisty road about halfway between Deals Gap and Atlanta.
  3. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    You may find camping space difficult in the keys. And its gonna be hotter than hell. I can suggest a couple of place to stay. In Florida City check out the Best Western. They like cyclists there, have a good pool, and there is an nice little restaurant by the end of their driveway. In Key West check out Alexander Palms Court motel. Its a couple of blocks from the southern most point and is reasonable.
  4. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    the keys will be cooler than the rest of florida... when you leave the mountains, you may want to dump a gallon of water all over your body evey hour to prevent spontaneous combustion of your private parts. if the temp is 90, you will have to ride at 91mph to overcome that temp.
  5. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    True, the Keys will be cooler than the rest of the state. That's not the same as cool.
  6. Weird Bug

Weird Bug Weird BUG

Oddometer:
    You might be underestimating the time it will take on the BRP. The average posted speed is 30 mph (Skyline is as much as 45mph if I remember correctly). The rangers say that people average 22 mph. I have done it from end to end a few times and can't tell you what my average was, but I was getting in about 250 miles comfortably each day.

I camped at Mt. Pisqua my last night once and then home to central Florida from there (780 miles). That's high up and cool this time of year (all of the BRP is better than the surrounding lowlands).

If you want to stay off I-75 through GA I go east of that on US 129 - and from there thereare many ways to cut southeast towards the easy coast of Florida.

In FLA if you can pop over to A1A (during the week hopefully) there are nice stretches if you have the time (like from St. Augustine to Daytona Beach). US 1 north and south of Daytona Beach is another favorite of mine. Somewhat depressed from when I first went there in the early 70's, but still some pleasant riding. I really enjoy the area from north of New Smyrna Beach south past Titusville (although I like your Titsville) through Melbourne and on down south along the Intracoastal Waterway to about the Fort Pierce area.

I have a great place that I stay at about MM101 in the Keys. Great within walking distance to a great local-run restaurant for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Easy to hit the Key West area from there - and back in one day. If you are interested PM me and I'll dig up the name. The lady that ran the place (small one room cottages) said I could park my Beemer on the porch if I so desired.

I also have a suggestion for going through the Everglades on that GS if you want to PM me as well.
  7. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    You got the life Bob. Enjoy. I look forward to seeing the RR.:clap
  8. RockinTheRVA

RockinTheRVA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Blue Ridge Parkway should average around 45 mph, from recent experience. Weekdays, even faster. It's 45 mph speed limits most of the way, with ability to do 55 in some places. Highly recommended road, especially if you're there in off-hours.
  9. Fearless

Fearless Brutally Honest Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice Ride. My $.02 for you is to go ahead and split the BRP into two days. It really is too nice a ride to rush. That will also allow you to do the Dragon and, instead of staying there, head for Suches, GA and stay over at TWoS (Two Wheels of Suches, 34.688592,-84.022497, Blood Mountain area). GREAT Motorcycle only campground recently renovated and reopened (w/cabins if you are too tired to set up) who can cater to any need a traveler could have. I can also vouch for Magnolia Springs State Park Just and George L. Smith State Park, both between Augusta and Savannah. About ~250 miles from TWoS, and you get to completely miss Atlanta (a plus on ANY trip....).

Safe Travels
  10. Aarrff

Aarrff Gravel Grinder

Oddometer:
    Send me a PM when you are in the area. Not sure if I will be around but would be glad to meet up for a coffee or something and tell you about some cool local stuff or show you some neat roads that few others find here. Glad you saw my Mile High Tag! Fun area and neat campground.
  11. PC-Rider

PC-Rider venturer

Oddometer:
    Have a great trip Rob.

I can't believe you stopped in South Jersey on your way out!!! :eek1

Did you take the Cape May - Leweis Ferry or just take the Delaware Memorial Bridge?

Be safe my friend.

Say HI to a Gator for me !

:ricky