1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

‘ New’ 10-year old generator. What to do first?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JT105, Nov 23, 2018.

1. JT105

JT105 Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    10 years is a long time for oil to sit open and oxidize. At only 0.6 qt, I’ll change it. It’s not going to break the bank.

JT
    spokester likes this.
  2. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup got to let them run out of fuel says so right in all of the manuals. Then when you go and start it 3 pulls it should be running or forgot choke or gas.
  3. JT105

JT105 Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    Changed the oil.
    Ok, this Honda generator looks to be a quality piece of equipment. BUT I do have to complain about the oil. The drain plug is right over the frame and engine mount and there is no way to drain it without making a mess. I tried my best to use some aluminum foil to drain the oil away into the pan. I still had to clean up the drips and mess under the engine mounts.

JT
  4. PunkinHead

PunkinHead Moobless Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The drains on most small engines are a standard pipe thread (1/8 NPT?) so I always install a short pipe nipple to extend the drain to somewhere less messy.
    KeithinSC and JT105 like this.
  5. jerryj

jerryj Lets Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    On my Honda lawnmower I have the same problem. I just turn the mower on it side and drain out the fill tube.
    ArielNut likes this.
  6. JT105

JT105 Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    The carburetor has a bowl drain screw. Nice!
    The fuel valve also has a sediment trap bowl that can unscrew to drain the tank. Also nice!
    Honda put a lot of thought into a quality piece of equipment, except for the oil drain noted above.

JT
    Hittman likes this.
  7. ozmoses

ozmoses .

Oddometer:
    Dino or synthetic??

Dino will cause it to grenade in minutes!

Also, post up some friggin' pics already!!
  8. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it's physically possible, turn it on it's side to drain oil through the filler as was mentioned earlier. I bought my Honda mower and they actually told me to do it that way and not use the drain plug. Works great. Don't know anything about how the generator is set up, but try it if it looks possible.
  9. JT105

JT105 Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    I used a 50:50 mix of fresh turkey drippings and Rotella. Been using it for years!!

Seriously, SAE 10W-30 SJ or higher. Standard spec for power equipment.

JT
    Hittman and ozmoses like this.
  10. JT105

JT105 Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    My mower is the same way. Tips on the side to drain it.
    The generator is not so easy. It is pretty awkward to tip to a useful amount to drain the oil.

JT
  11. JT105

JT105 Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    Sorry guys, no pics.
    Tapatalk won’t let me post pictures without an account. I don’t like giving out my google or Facebook login info to third parties.
    The ADV website is unusable on my phone. Pop up ads redirect me to other websites every time I try to use a web browser. I can’t even stay on ADV long enough to login before it sends me to some spam website.

JT
  12. JT105

JT105 Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    Ok. Was able to do Tapatalk with just an email.
    Two 120v outlets and a nice circuit breaker.
    IMG_5299.jpg
    Engine side. Air cleaner cover was a tight fit between the frame to get open. IMG_5300.jpg
    Back side. The muffler fills the entire space behind the black heat shield. My old Briggs only has a little muffler the size of a tuna can. IMG_5301.jpg
    Power head side.
    IMG_5302.jpg

Fuel tank is squeaky clean inside.
    IMG_5303.jpg

Previous owner clamped some boards with wheels onto the bottom. A poor half effort result. I have an old furniture dolly that is just the right size to mount it to.

JT
    ozmoses likes this.
  13. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    My neighbor has the same generator but an older version.

Mind you that thing is heavy,had to go pick it up last year to service it.Much easier to move and load as he installed wheels under it.

Wheels lift it by 4" or so? I just stuck a shallow pan under the plug/frame and let it drip.

Didn't start but carb cleaning fixed that.I don't know why he didn't stabilize that gas? He is an old mechanic he should know better but at 80yrs old he is too old to wrench for sure.

Oil? Same as my Tecumsehs...Briggs...etc! Free oil,came out of the gallon of "something" my nephew gave me when he switched his car to synthetic.
  14. JT105

JT105 Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    I have a empty oil bottle that I drain bottles left over from motorcycle and car oil changes. The drippings add up to enough for a free oil change for the lawnmower!

JT
    phillyrube likes this.
  15. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Save that used oil....!Low milleage oil from the BMW goes into the 83 Tercel 4x4.I only put 100 miles a year on the Toy but beating the shit out of it moving firewood and skidding logs so I do change the oil.

I mostly save the gear oil from the BMW.Transmission and transfer case both leak on the Toyota and I sure ain't fixing that....!

Not putting any used oil in my new mower.New from 10yrs ago,probably has less than 20hrs on it.Been using the excellent MTD garden tractor I picked up for $50.00 just after I bought the new mower.I think the PO never changed the oil,looked like molasse.Flushed,changed and flushed again then so I change now within the recommended intervals as I really beat the shit out of that excellent fast tractor/mower.1.3L of new whatever cheap 10w30 I have around.I might be doing the right thing?Two of my friend's have the same motors in their garden tractors,both smoke like crazy and use oil.Mine doesn't.....!
    Carlos M likes this.
  16. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might be worth buying an oil extractor, used one when I did generator field service and it saved me a lot of trouble and mess...also very handy at home for my bikes and cars. West Marine sells a good one (which is a rebadged Pela 650)

[​IMG]
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  17. JT105

JT105 Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    No, it’s not used oil. It’s new oil. When I pour a quart into the car, I let the empty bottle drain dry into my lawnmower oil bottle. It is all new oil. Usually a mix of 10W-40, 10W-30, 5W-30, 5W-20...

JT
  18. JT105

JT105 Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    Yep. According to the manual it is 99 lbs dry. Much easier to put on some wheels.

JT
  19. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can buy a flexible oil extension tube that screws into the drain hole. It is not pipe thread. It is 10mm or 12mm straight thread. The extension screws in with a seal washer and allows you to drain the oil without making a mess. Not much money, a whole lot of easier. I have a pressure washer with the same engine.
  20. JT105

JT105 Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    Sounds like something I could use. Do you have a link to it?

JT