1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

‘02 1150 GSA; engine just died on I-90 West of Spokane

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Aventeren, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Aventeren

Aventeren Did It: US to Ushuaia Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Shovel. It seems like this is fuel related. I do have a spare fuel filter with me and I could tear into this thing and see if that is it. But man the dang injectors are spitting gas—so there is fuel there!

Frustrating—but this is what I get for letting the bike sit for this long. Something was bound to happen.

I may be at the end of what I can do on the side of the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. shovelstrokeed

shovelstrokeed Long timer

Oddometer:
    The mere presence of fuel at the injectors really doesn't mean much. It needs to spray out of there with a will and finely atomize the fuel to get it to burn correctly. If you have a filter, it certainly isn't going to hurt to change it provided you have proper clamps and the tools to tighten them. Remember that 3 bar of pressure thing. In fact, an internal leak in the tank is one of the more popular causes of the problem you are having.
    Big hint, a screw type hose clamp is not the correct clamp for this application. Nor or the little spring type clamps. You need a clamp that fully encloses the hose and retains its shape when tightened. Oedecker (sp) comes to mind, they take a special crimp tool to work. They are available at the chain auto parts stores.
    zswickliffe likes this.
  3. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    At the risk of being silly, have you checked the kill switch on the handle bars?
  4. shovelstrokeed

Oddometer:
    He has spark, would not if the kill switch is faulty.
    concours and scot_douglas like this.
  5. shovelstrokeed

Oddometer:
    As with anything that comes up suddenly, the last thing I worked on is always the first place I look.
    petertakov likes this.
  6. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    I’d try getting some gas directly into the spark plug holes and see if it fires briefly, that should sort out if it’s fuel or electric.

If it doesn’t kick its time to jump out side stand, center stand and any other safety’s that would cause it to not start.
    tntmo likes this.
  7. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    From my experience with the 1150’s, if battery is too weak the solenoid will just click and the starter won’t turn. If the starter turns and everything else is ok the bike will eventually start even with a weak battery.

If you have fuel at the injectors and spark at the plugs it may indeed be HES. When mine went I had the same. There was fuel and there was sparks, just not at the right time.

YMMV
    BluByU and flinders_72 like this.
  8. Aventeren

Oddometer:
    Thanks all. I have a spare HES at house, so I’ll throw that on and see if that does it.

What a day. Ended up Ubering to Spokane to pick up a UHaul truck and trailer, which I then drove back to Spokane with the bike to deposit at a storage unit—I’ll have to pick up on future trip from Bellingham to Bozeman (we’re moving—and you all have a place to pitch a tent!). So this thread is going to go dormant until we pack house up and drive East and pick up bike on way through.

I ended up grabbing a Lyft from the UHaul to Spokane Airport to grab a $80 rental car, which I just got out of in Bozeman. Up at 315a—and just stopped moving here at 1230a. What a day.

Thanks again for everyone’s help. I’ll first try charging the battery to see if that does it—then diving into spare HES swap to see if that was it. It’s funny—I proactively changed my HES before my Ushuaia trip because someone gave me counsel that I didn’t want to try and sort that out from South America. If this ends up being the HES, that may have been the best counsel I received while planning for my trip—because having today happen in Colombia or Peru or Guatemala or Copper Canyon or Patagonia would have been a real problem. To be honest I’m hoping it is the HES because then I at least know my enemy, which has not yet revealed itself.

Night all—and thanks again. I REALLY appreciate everyone’s input, ideas, brainstorming, thoughts, etc. Super helpful today.

Carlos M and Cogswell like this.
  9. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree with this. I've just put my 1150RT battery on the tender today because it's clicking instead of turning the engine over. It'll always eventually start if the engine turns over at any speed.

Good luck with it.
    Carlos M likes this.
  10. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you tried whiffing the air intake with brake cleaner or start fluid to see if It will pop off?
  11. Aventeren

Oddometer:
    I haven’t. Is that the snorkel on the left side?

12. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    anybody know if a failed cam sensor will shut one off. That's what indexes the ign. and injectors. Is it possible to have spark and fuel but the ECU is out of phase due to a failed cam sensor?
  13. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    the cam sensor(s) are actually the HES he has referred to.

there are two on the front of engine under pulley one times the fuel injection pulse, and the other times the ignition.

well the motronic alters the timing, but those Hall Effect Sensors set the base timing.
  14. Aventeren

Oddometer:
    So I have an update. I finally got around to ordering a new HES from beemerboneyard.com, and got it installed and timed. I put the gas tank back on and still nothing--even after I also put a new battery in because the previous battery had failed because it had been sitting since last September. The starter spins but the engine just won't catch and fire.

Does anyone have any ideas to look at next?
  15. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just scrolled over this, i'm just guessing like others. Correct me if i missed anything , you say you have spark and fuel, but if enough fuel spraying out is an unknown, so perhaps fuel filter or loose fuel hose connector preventing enough pressure. Have you been inside the tank since it stopped? How about air?? Have you pulled not just the air filter but also ensured the air intake snorkel doesn't have some debris wedged in it?:lurk
    dtysdalx2 and Ducky 149 like this.
  16. kasuckmo

kasuckmo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Follow the wiring from the HES back. Mine was falling apart. I did have spark but wouldn’t start
  17. Aventeren

Oddometer:
    Brand new HES, plus brand new HES wiring...so likely not this.
  18. Aventeren

Oddometer:
    I'm going to do a compression and leak down test to see how compression looks--and while I'm at it, I'm also going to double check the valve clearances to see if they popped out of spec during the ride (which would be weird because I rode the bike all the way from Utah to Ushuaia without engine issues.

After that, I'm going to pull open the tank and drop a new fuel filter in--and inspect the fuel lines to make sure they are ok (inside the tank). Outside the tank, they look ok.

Thanks for the ideas.
  19. kasuckmo

kasuckmo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you check wiring in the harness
  20. Aventeren

Oddometer:
    I haven’t—and that’s a large undertaking. Any specific suggestions on where to start?