1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

‘02 1150 GSA; engine just died on I-90 West of Spokane

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Aventeren, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Aventeren

Aventeren Did It: US to Ushuaia Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for asking me to check this. I had the tank all buttoned up, and then I realized that the interior hoses were not the SAE 30R10 flexible hoses that Mike at Beemer Boneyard had sent in my fuel pump kit. So I swapped those 2 lines out, which means that my 3 interior hoses are now all SAE 30R10 spec hoses.

I had put my fuel tank on before my dang crash bars, so I also remembered to install my crash bars BEFORE the tank this time!
  2. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Post #35.:*sip*
  3. Aventeren

Oddometer:
    Hats off to you. You nailed it.

Lesson: Start with the easy stuff first.
    vagueout likes this.
  4. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Only a matter of time.

Oddometer:
    I was thinking it was flooded. Open the throttle wide open and try to fire it.

What's the area look like? I like these troubleshooting threads best. :clap

Boy, what a mess in there.

[​IMG]
  5. Aventeren

Oddometer:
    Yeah my loop house from the end of the fuel filter back to the pump had come off the end of the fuel filter. So the little bit of fuel that I was getting out of the injectors must have been the latent fuel that was in the lines when the motor died.

I have since replaced all of the interior lines with the correct SAE 30R10 lines--and I used the flexible ones from Beemer Boneyard to make that bend from the end of the fuel filter back down to the pump body.

One small thing that happened, though, is that my fuel sender float must have gotten snagged on the filter screen--because tank is reading empty...and I didn't catch this until AFTER I had put 6 gallons in the tank! So I'll ride this tank down and then see about taking the filler cap off and re-positioning the float arm, as I really don't want to have to open the dang tank back up again.

Also, after installing the new HES, my timing is off a hair, and my valves need to be re-adjusted, as I'm getting a bit of back firing on gear changes.

Went for a 25 mile ride to Hyalite today--and it's GREAT to be back on the bike. Whoa.
    cmattina likes this.
  6. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    The float is not necessarily snagged, if one of the connections to the strip goes to earth it gives the same symptom, easy to bend one of the lugs as you fix the tubing. :photogdon't ask how I know.
  7. Aventeren

Oddometer:
    Were you able to fix it or did you have to buy a new unit?
  8. Mike Ryder

Mike Ryder Kriegerkuh Supporter

Oddometer:
    Before going back into the tank try cleaning the four pin electrical connectors. Resistance there will show up on the RID.
  9. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Re the fuel quantity sender, way back with my R1100RS after a fuel filter change(before i put it outside) i had erratic fuel quantity for a tank load or two and it fixed itself, so maybe worth waiting for the same to happen.:*sip*
  10. oregonair

oregonair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a 02 1150 that left me stranded 3x - it was the coil. when they go they are especially hard to diagnose because they don't fail all at once.
    its intermittent and they come back on and off but that was the net affect.. tooling down the hwy and then just shut down.

you say you have spark so perhaps that's not the issue - but just passing along my experience. good luck.