‘80 Guzzi Le Mans, trying not to butcher it..

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by PeterKaa, Dec 16, 2017.

1. PeterKaa

PeterKaa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That specific Kawa is a 3-phase generator, so I’m thinking it would work.
    A couple of friends use them on their old Kawasaki Z1000J’s.

It would allow me to use a modern LiPo battery if I wanted.
  2. huub

huub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    interesting , i'm curious what you will find out.
  3. MrBob

MrBob Curiouser and curiouser

Oddometer:
    Could a sump extender have an effect on low speed oil pressure?
    Beautiful bike; this T-5 was mine.
    [​IMG]
    MotoChuck250 and twowings like this.
  4. MZRider

MZRider Neo-Luddite

Oddometer:
  5. PeterKaa

Oddometer:
  6. chris a

chris a Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sachse stuff is good but no experiance with their regulators.After a good read in guzziology years ago I replaced my regulator with an adjustable voltage one and set it up to allow 14.3 volts ....solved my charging problem.At the time I commuted 35km each way , nearly allways in the dark in the winter so the charging system was allways pretty stressed.
    You got the low oil pressure sorted then ?
  7. PeterKaa

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input! It looks like good stuff.

Yeah, see pic in previous post with an idling engine and oil press. Light off :-)
    chris a likes this.
  8. pikl

pikl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting how they used the same generators on all models, so the big ones were struggling, while my small V35 constantly charged a lot because it ran in higher revs. But on the bright side, it makes it easy to find parts for them (and also from BMW).
  9. Scudman

Scudman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I changed all the bulbs to LEDs' and use an electronic regulator. Bike charges at 14 VDC just off idle. At the very least change the rear bulbs as that helps a lot.
    PeterKaa and chris a like this.
  10. PeterKaa

Oddometer:
    So back at it with the Mother Goose, needed som time of from taking my 990 ADV to pieces and back.

Put in a new gearbox bracket/battery plate from HMB, not really lighter but maybe stronger and not 38 years old:

[​IMG]

Then put an odyssey battery on top of it:

[​IMG]

Tidied up the hoses to the carbs, originally it comes with single plastic banjoes on each side with a cross over under the tank.

I think these look better:

[​IMG]

Easy job so far which called for..

[​IMG]

Fixed the stripped thread for the right side valve cover:
    [​IMG]

I have actually never had to use a helicoilbefore, turns out it’s super easy.

Also changed the bushings in the centerstand to stainless ones, originals are aluminium. Should have gone with originals since the stainless will just wear out the center stand itself instead.

And I’ve bought some 80’s Stucchi fairing stuff that I’ll put on it next year.

I plan to cut the front to a half-fairing and put two round lights on it on the outside of the fairing like old school endurance racebikes.

[​IMG]

On the rear I might use this rear end, depending on how much/little two up riding we’ll get done.
    The rear needs a new light and bracket but looks good other than that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    MZRider, twowings and huub like this.
  11. PeterKaa

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Carbs balanced no drama :-)

That noise though

Since it’s like -5 deg C here in Copenhagen right now, it’s kinda nice to have a big Guzzi lump of an engine working as a radiator..
    chris a and MZRider like this.
  12. PeterKaa

Oddometer:
    Kinda accidentally bought a cool looking tank..

[​IMG]

Test fit:
    [​IMG]
  13. corsair4360

corsair4360 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And tell me how you accidentally bought a new tank? Seems like an oxymoron to me
  14. PeterKaa

Oddometer:
    English class is down the hall ;-)

A guy was cleaning out some stuff in his workshop just down the street. He’s been more into early 80’s 4-cylinder bikes lately. So it was sort of random he just dug it out of his attic as I was walking by.
    chris a and corsair4360 like this.
  15. corsair4360

corsair4360 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I see now..... says the blind man!
  16. PeterKaa

Oddometer:
    Today shiny stuff arrived:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cafe Racer suspension GS03
    [​IMG]

Off with the old Marzocchi Stradas.
    Does anyone know if the rebuild kits are in stock anywhere?

[​IMG]

Some techy stuff arrived a few days ago (at last):
    [​IMG]
    twowings likes this.
  17. PeterKaa

Oddometer:
    Lot’s of swearing going on while I couldn’t figure out why there was no ground connection so it wasn’t charging.

Now all lights are on in the right sequence and it charges the battery.

Just need to tidy up the installation.

[​IMG]

Out with the old..
    [​IMG]
  18. PeterKaa

Oddometer:
    Finished up the electrics for now.
    Used the original bracket for the rectifier for the new Sachse R/R, removed a few wires and connectors..
    The rapture for all the excess wires wont be until I start the rebuild with the new tank, fairings etc.
    You really see how much of a touring bike this really is when you dig into the electrics, things like hazard lights, brakefluid level switch and a quartz clock :-|

May look a bit dirty, but everything is ziptied, shrinked and wrapped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New R/R meant another wire to the +side of the battery, it’ll be fine for this season, but eventually I will update the fusebox to a modern type and clean up the electrics further.

Bought these side covers to go with the fairing and stuff, the next stage if you will.

[​IMG]

Also turn up you volume, while I wait for the snow to melt...
    [​IMG]
    twowings likes this.
  19. PeterKaa

Oddometer:
    So took the bike for at longer ride, sounds great (!!), pulls like a big turbo-diesel and so on.
    All great, except the big battery had sort of been hiding the fact that it was not charging at all.
    Ran out of lights in pitch black night, just as the curve of the off-ramp ended, pretty scary.
    Turns out then new R/R body is in fact painted and not anodised, so it had no connection to ground at all. Once that was sorted, no problem at all and no damage to the fancy new R/R, fool proof product apparently.

Yesterday I wanted to change the gearbox and final drive oils, both looked good coming out, was just for peace of mind.
    When I loosened the level plug on the final drive, it just kept spinning - didn’t come out, just spun :-/ I don’t know if this is common or how the PO has “fixed” it, but it sucks.

Took some two component “metal-epoxy” and secured the plug. It will have to do for now, even if does not look pretty. It seals and the plug is not going anywhere.
    [​IMG]

I still ride around with a tool roll on the back, still need to gain some confidence with it.
    [​IMG]

Speaking of riding, it’s all right for a 38 year-old bike Sure any sort of rebound damping in the front is absent and the steering damper is phucked. Got a bit of air coming over a small hill yesterday, yiekes new damper is on the way!

Gear shifts are heavy, not too clunky but just heavy - especially up 1st to 2nd, it’s like the big flywheel won’t let the revs drop fast enough for 2nd to engage

It’s not unpleasant in the city, fun on the smaller twisty roads, but man it really makes sense on the hi-way, sure it turns and brakes fine but no doubt it is a sport touring bike more than a race bike.
  20. huub

huub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    a le mans shouldnt need a steering damper , mine isnt fitted with a damper.
    having said that proper suspension makes a huge difference, and i enjoy tweaking the suspension.
    the stock fork dampers are adequate when new, and wear out quickly.
    but you already found that out.
    you might have a look at the ride height at the front, the front springs sag, making the bike a bit twitchy.
    especially if longer shocks are fitted.
    i tried progressive springs , but found them too stiff , and ended up with spacers on top of the stock springs.
    instead of buying upgraded fork cartridges i bought a pitted set of showa forks , and transplanted the cartridges.
    makes a huge difference , but you will need a lathe with thread cutting possibility to do so