’18 Gas Gas Contact 250 With “E” Start. Motobene’s Lights?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Harry Potter, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Harry Potter

Harry Potter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Comes with a bigger tank, seat, and the ”E” button start. Has anyone tested it? Seems to me with the the E start it should have the goods to run Motobene’s lighting system. I’ve thought a lot about a Beta 300 4 stroke in the sport model (bigger tank & seat) but the Contact is thousands less.
    DyrWolf likes this.
  2. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Not yet that I know of.

However there is a likelihood that even if the power isn’t 100% clean it would be a great deal smoother than a standard with the battery system.
  3. Harry Potter

Harry Potter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess there doesn’t seem to be much interest in this bike.
  4. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    I was interested enough to go look at one at my local dealer, that was all it took for me to label it a P.O.S. and walk away.
  5. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    P.O.S is pretty harsh, check out the video.
  6. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I actually saw one at the Ute Cup. It was never unloaded in the three days I was there. It will last years with that amount of riding.:imaposer
    Brewtus likes this.
  7. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not a horrible bike. It's a normal GG frame and motor with a lot of other budget parts attached to it. Given what it costs this isn't a huge surprise.
    10K likes this.
  8. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mate of mine has one. It seems to work well and at the level we ride I don't think it's "inferiority" has ever really been exposed...
    10K likes this.
  9. Yard Sale

Yard Sale let's be bad guys

Oddometer:
    The seat mounting is a joke and I don't see how anyone else's is going to last much longer than mine did, a few hours. The big tank is nice, good for about two hours. Search this forum only for "Contact" in thread titles and you'll see more about them.
    Harry Potter likes this.
  10. motobene

motobene Motoing for 46 years

Oddometer:
    Well fingers crossed and I don't want to get too excited just yet, but I just quick tested a very affordable AC-DC power converter with my Motobene light that worked flicker free on tge 125, which has the roughest AC.

Will bang away on it on two different bikes tonight. Light quality is obviously excellent. The DMM shows near zero volts AC on the output. If this proves reliable I'll finally have a light for all the carbureted bikes, including the Contact.

What puzzles me about the Contact is one would think a 250 with a magic button would be a highly desirable innivation for a full competition bike. Makes me wonder if they think the simple direct-to-flywheel design won't hold up in competition? Restarting a stalled bike while balance in a section would be way cool.
  11. Hoss Cartright

Hoss Cartright Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just wait.... it will happen....
  12. Hoss Cartright

Hoss Cartright Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When they were working on this, "we" went around and around about this. The GG bikes lost the rear "sub-frame" after the 1999 model year.

The ergos are simple. when sitting, depending upon the height of the rider, the entire weight of the upper torso is placed somewhere upon the saddle at the rear just above the center of the rear axle. Well behind the end of the actual chassis. Depending upon the riders weight and the speeds and terrain, this can put a huge load upon that rear portion of the saddle.
    The only proper way to do this is to add a rear sub-frame of some kind. (braces to support the rear of the saddle.)
    We had discussed having struts that actually attached to the rear of the footpeg mounting bolts, and ran up the sides of the chassis into a loop under the rear of the saddle. Of course this would bulge the sides of the bike and also had to clear the outside of the silencer on the right side. It made sense by design, but also didn't make sense by practicality.

What you have is all of that weight and force applied to that aluminum bracket in the front of the saddle. And that bracket actually attaches to the chassis with two 6mm counter-sunk Allen bolts that are threaded into "clip nuts" and it simply does not work well, and over time things are going to break... And the rear attaching bolt is put into the "PLASTIC" air-box. so, we know that is not strong.

Ultimately, putting a long saddle on a trials bike that has no rear sub-frame loop just doesn't work well.
    Nobade likes this.
  13. motobene

Oddometer:
    I believe so too. Some light batteries, maybe just enough Amp hours for a couple of starts in between some charging time....

And no more splitting of stators between ignition and light/fan please! Three-phase alternators are a more elegant way to make AC.

And throw a counterbalancer in there somewhere. All the added hardware in 2-stroke format could still wave the weight come in below 70kg me thinks.
  14. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna

Oddometer:
    laser17, jonnyc21 and Hoss Cartright like this.
  15. motobene

Oddometer:
    Turn the alternator into a motor so no separate starter is needed?

Interesting!
  16. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder when we will see electric snowmobiles?
  17. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Lol
  18. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It has been done before on 70,s Japanese dual sport bikes.I forget which models but believe it was suzuki.Tangled with a few in my younger days buying used beaters to fix up.Sort of remember yamaha had them on a few bikes also.I also remember I never could get them to work once they were broken.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  19. motobene

Oddometer:
    Yamaha AT-1 had the magic button and a more bulbous magneto-area cover. I thought maybe it was a DC motor just left of the alternator. Can't remember exactly, but it did have brushes. The CT (175) and DT (250) models did not have the magic button because of lack of starting umph.
    Norman Foley and Junglejeff1 like this.
  20. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna

Oddometer:
    The question is..... can it be done again?