“Battle-Ready” Adventure Motorcycle Gear on a Budget

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ArmyStrong, Mar 23, 2016.

1. smithb9

smithb9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had been eyeing these pants for a while, and when the easter sale $119 hit, I bit. First impressions were very positive, pants feel very well made.

Today was the first day I got to test them in the rain: NOT waterproof at all. My old Fly Butane pants were more waterproof, and they started leaking at the stitch above the kneepads after a while. Very disappointed to have these leak the first time they saw rain. Leaked at the crotch, both thigh vents, both inside calves, and somehow at the right knee as well. This was on a 5 mile commute home from work, at speeds 0-30mph.

Pretty disappointed, especially after all of the positive reviews.
  2. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the clarification..

I should be getting the pants today according to the tracking information.

:thumbup
  3. baka1969

baka1969 Veteran Bubblehead

Oddometer:
    It's not looking good for how waterproof the pants are.
  4. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    When it comes to riding gear, budget and waterproof are two terms that has a hard time connecting together like peanut butter and jelly.
  5. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    is this something that seam sealing, or silicone spray would help?

( I have to seal and spray my cheap rain gear pants yearly, it works for a while)
  6. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:

No different than having to seal and spray expensive Aerostich gear. :lol3
  7. frozenpoet

frozenpoet Valks rule, clowns drool

Oddometer:
    Well, on this cold Saturday with nothing really going on I decided to stand in my shower with my setup on. I spent about five minutes spraying myself, with most of that at the vents and crotch area of the pants.

When all was said and done I was still dry underneath. I'm not sure how it will perform in a all day rain situation, but it passed my initial test.

With that said, it appeared that the black panels on my gray set absorbs the water while the water beads up on the gray parts.
  8. CreatureCore

CreatureCore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The shell isnt waterproof. It has a non removable floating z liner. I dont like jackets with floating liners. Its the worst of both worlds. It soaks just like a jacket with a removable liner but you cant take out the liner on hot days. If you dont want a liner a laminate shell is the way to go. Both have their pluses and minuses, but the non removable floating liner has all the bad of both options.
  9. svs

Oddometer:
    Rode with them today and liked them. The waist adjusters work as good as I've used on prior gear. Wore Kuhl shorts and neoprene knee compression sleeves. I also use a lower back protector and the fit over the pant is good.

The lower leg is large in diameter for boots. The fit in the seated position on the bike was good.

Perfect for what I wanted and the lowest priced item.
  10. smithb9

smithb9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the spray would help with the pant material, but the thigh vent zippers and the crotch leaked a lot, so no dice there.

From RockyMtn: "The pants are waterproof, but the zippers are water resistant. In heavy amounts of water they can let some in."
    Soo.... the pants aren't waterproof then, are they?
  11. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    gaff tape over the zippers I guess.... pretty much makes it a PITA to use them as vents though, but would work to stay dry most likely
  12. svs

Oddometer:
    Question, How much better are D30 Pads?

I went to the BMW dealer and looked at and tried on Klim. Their pants are nicer, In my mind not worth 4-7 times the cost. No quilted liners to make them warmer.. I like the Fit of the ARC pants just as much, The sippers on the KLIM's are water proof which you can tell by looking at them and they aren't on the ARC's (for me not a big deal as we don't get the rain as much as the rest of the country).

The BIG thing Klim's had (according the sales person) was D30 Armor...

Below is a pic of the pads that came with the ARC's and the D30.... The entire ARC pant was $140 and the D30 pads are $40, The pads that come with the ARC feel real good and are CE certified - they are not poorly made.

What are yer thoughts on D30?

[​IMG]
  13. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Meh, D30 is good stuff. I've never used it, have mostly Forcefield and SAS-Tec which are equally good.
  14. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    D3O is good stuff. I did upgrade my back protector in my Klim jackets to a Forcefield Pro though as it won't tear when jacket gets partially folded up repeatedly and put in the pannier (others have reported tearing of the D3O backpads as well).
  15. baka1969

Oddometer:

This excludes me from buying them. For my needs it makes the pants virtually useless. Too bad.
  16. The-Wanderer

The-Wanderer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have no problem carrying a frog toggs suit with me as well. I really like the pants and I think they will stop the water in a light rainstorm. If its going to be down pouring I'm gonna put on my rain suit.
  17. baka1969

Oddometer:

Again, in my opinion, putting on a separate rain suit defeats the purpose. Especially a piece of gear claiming to be waterproof. I'd rather pay for a pair of Firstgear pants (to go along with my Kathmandu jacket) that I know will be waterproof.
    Adrenolin likes this.
  18. CodyECSL

CodyECSL Taco Inspector

Oddometer:
    Greatest country in the world, TX (DFW area)
    This. If I wanted to use a rain pant, then I would've bought a diff. pair of pants that cost the same, which didn't claim being waterproof, that has better tech elsewhere.
  19. otoko

otoko Tustom User Citle

Oddometer:
    No way am I carrying a second set of gear. With the amount of vents, these would have been a pretty versatile set. If they kept the water out. :)
  20. baka1969

Oddometer:
    Exactly my point.