“Battle-Ready” Adventure Motorcycle Gear on a Budget

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ArmyStrong, Mar 23, 2016.

1. BiGR Rich

BiGR Rich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got the jacket about a week ago, and have been wearing it every day. I got caught in a small shower while running errands (less than .1" an hour, but also about 40° out). I was warm in the jacket and didn't notice any water coming in for a while......until I got off the bike. Had a small leak coming in the right bicep vent which got the liner damp. I think a lot of the leaking issues are due to riding position.

My opinion? The jacket may not be perfect, but worth the money to me. Think I'll spring for the pants next payday.
  2. frozenpoet

frozenpoet Valks rule, clowns drool

Oddometer:
    I've been using the combo for a few rides, got stuck in a light mist one of the days, and I'm happy. For the price point, weather water proof, or water resistant, they are still worth the price. My Scorpion Covert jeans where about the same price and they're not water proof either.
  3. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're looking for a low buck bargain adventure jacket here is a deal.

I just went to Iron Pony and bought two of these:

[​IMG]

MSR Alterra for $99.99. Black is available too for the same price. Got one for me and one for a friend.

The sizing is fairly true. I am a 42 chest (and waist unfortunately) and a Large fit fine, probably would need an XL to fit over any sort of armor. Decent sleeve length, a fair number of vents, waterproof, sealed waterproof zippers on the vents, armor that is removeable, all in all a darn good deal at a C note. I wish it had a zip in liner, but again, for a C note.

The MSR Alterra jacket is our top of the line off road riding jacket. Built with every feature you'd ever want and tough enough for the abuse we know our riders put their gear through. Impacts, water, heat, abrasion and more are all addressed in this durable, great looking jacket.
    • Dry-XC treated SnagResistant 600 Denier Nylon outer shell for water-proofing and breathability.
    • 840 Denier Ballistic Nylon in high-wear areas.
    • HYPERFLO ventilation system comprised of nine vents.
    • Two upper and lower chest pockets with storm flaps, two lower side fleece lined, hand warmers and one oversized lower back pocket.
    • Two inner pockets on right chest and two vertical pockets on left chest.
    • Oversized, two-way main zipper with storm flap and rain gutter for dry, trouble-free function.
    • FLASHLITE reflective panels, piping and printing for visibility under dim light conditions.
    • Six cinch straps at sleeves and body to customize fit.
    • D30 intelligent shock absorption armor in shoulders, elbows and back.
    • Neoprene edge trim on collar and cuffs for comfort and to block wind.
    • Lycra cuff extenders with built-in thumb retainer.
    • Water-repellent premium YKK zippers.
    • Internal elastic waist cinch design for a custom fit and heat lock.
    • Closed cell foam chest shield included.

This is more of a serious dual sport/adventure jacket than off road. Just wanted to say the sizing is true.

I know it's not a Klim or any of the rest, but hey, it's only $99.99. Original was like $399.

Some riders here are picking up on them rapidly. I got one for myself and one for a friend who wanted it. There are some good reviews including a few youtube versions from Bike Bandit and also Adventure Designs on the Alterra.

Here's the thread
    A good deal on MSR Alterra adventure jackets

4. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    First the pants and now this Jacket... I just ordered an XL in Green...

When my wife comes to kill me for purchasing more gear I'll wear these items!

:lol3
    Adrenolin likes this.
  5. Adrenolin

Adrenolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Isn't that true! Lol. At 45yo I bought my first bike, a WR250R last fall. Paid cash I'd saved and since all the extra gear for both on and off road riding, larger tank for distance, sprockets and chain to bring it alive, lowered seat due to my 28" inseam, etc, etc the boxes haven't stopped showing up! Thankfully much has been second hand and savings there but still.

I got the Leatt AirFit last week and with that and the armored pants on with a helmet I laughed at her saying I was ready for her attack! :lol3

It came about 5 minutes after I took everything off! :bash Lol
    svs likes this.
  6. markk53

Oddometer:
    Don't forget this, guys...

[​IMG] :jack
    Adrenolin likes this.
  7. Adrenolin

Adrenolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lol the absolute LAST body part we want grinding along the asphalt! :jack
  8. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    do they make them in a larger size?
  9. AustinXL

AustinXL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems decent for the price, wish there was more affordable quality gear. I have been really on the fence about a Klim set for year round use, just don't want to drop that much money, my like someone will run me over the first day and I'll be spending 12-1400 more on another set of Klims!
  10. markk53

Oddometer:
    Actually I was more concerned about the rider defending against the wife... :lol3
  11. markk53

Oddometer:
    So go look up the thread on the MSR Adventure coat for $99.99! Original $400, a rider in another thread bought one at that price and has no regrets. He's buying another just because of the price and his satisfaction. I bought one for myself and got one for a friend - I live 20 miles from the store and posted the thread about them. You can't get much more affordable than a full armor waterproof wind resistant coat for 75% off. Hell, some cheap Nike pull over would cost darn near as much!

I started the thread to help riders just like you and I. I can't blow $400 much less a grand for gear. Here is some that will do quite well that is on clearance. I lucked out and figure why not tell others. I have no ties to Iron Pony, I am just able to get there occasionally and browse around.

Heck, they're relatively cheap. Buy two if you think you'll destroy a coat quickly.

I've got two adventure type coats, one is a First Gear Kilmanjaro Air (mesh) with liner, the other is this MSR Alterra. I have $150 in the pair, both new. So it is possible to get some low buck deals.
  12. svs

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mark, One of the nice things of the site is hearing from others and who don't love a deal and good gear. The D30 Armor in the Jacket would cost about $100 for elbows, shoulders and the back protector alone.

Thanks Again for the heads up!!
    CreatureCore likes this.
  13. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?!

Oddometer:
    Went out on my first ride with the jacket. 72 degrees in Northern Michigan today, first nice weekend of spring! I have the black jacket, and I love the look of it, pretty sharp. So far I found it doesn't vent that well, and the cuffs are tight. Especially trying to get it off when you been sweating a little. It is very light though compared to my Rev it Sand 2 and comfortable when wearing. We'll see how it goes the rest of the riding season.
  14. PaulyD

PaulyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the pants, absolutely love them. hell, I wore them today for about three hours after riding while building a chicken coop. stay warm when I need them to be warm, and haven't gotten too hot with them yet at all.
  15. ShenandoahRider

ShenandoahRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got mine in today. It looks really sharp and well-made. I'm 6 ft, 190 lbs. and it fits me very well.
  16. JustinOther

JustinOther KLR MUTANT

Oddometer:
    What size did you go with? I'm very close to the same "dimensions"
  17. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    So I just ordered one for the armor LOL. I've been wanting to compare the D30 to the Forcefield and Sas-tec armor. Plan on pulling out the D30 and putting it in my Fieldsheer Adventure jacket.
  18. svs

Oddometer:
    Yea, I'll be using the armor in my other jackets too. I have an older first gear mesh jacket I use in the heat and the D30 will be a nice upgrade to aging pads it came with.
  19. backroadbender

backroadbender Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Received mine last week. Very happy with it. Im 5'9". 160 lb ordered the med. fits good even room for a thin jacket underneath dosent feel to big or to tight with or with out a the jacket under neath.
  20. smithb9

smithb9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice, I'm about the same size +20lbs, and also ordered the MED, sounds like it will be a good fit.