“Battle-Ready” Adventure Motorcycle Gear on a Budget

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ArmyStrong, Mar 23, 2016.

1. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?!

Oddometer:
    I bought the pants to go along with the jacket. I am carrying a little bit around the middle, so went with a size 40 waist. The only length they come in is 33! Holy cow. Hope I can have somebody hem them. Other than the extra length they are very comfortable. Didn't get a chance to check how waterproof they are though.
  2. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    just waiting for these to go on sale again to pick up a suit.
  3. Apaluq

Apaluq Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rocky Mountain ATV MC customer service informed me they are not in stock as all stock was pulled due to zipper problems.

Has anyone experienced this? Because I still see it available at a couple other retailers and I really want the jacket!
  4. BiGR Rich

BiGR Rich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did they say which zippers? I haven't had any problems yet...
  5. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    No issues on my pants yet.

Been through quite a bit of rain lately (and some creeks) with no leaks or problems.

Well, other than when I left one thigh vent open then plowed through an especially splashy water crossing. I was kinda ticked about the soaked scrote until I noticed I had left the vent open. Duh.

And no, they're not really built for fat guys. But then again, nothing is.

I swear, the instant someone comes up with "GutBros™" fat dude riding pants for a reasonable sum complete with built-in suspenders, they're gonna make a fortune.
    Turps and DirtWizard like this.
  6. manstache

manstache Flounder of ADV

Oddometer:
  7. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    First in order - don't get in situations where the emergency room cuts your pants off!

Just funnin'... I hope things weren't too bad for you. I had mine cut off in the emergency room once too. I had a broken neck, but I guess it was less risk of movement to just cut 'em off. No complaints, they did a good job... on my neck, not the pants.

Oh, and I agree, where's the rotund rider gear?
  8. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    When I killed a Bambi the hard way and broke my leg, the EMT in charge handed Skippy the Shaking, Bug-Eyed Intern a pair of scissors and told him to get me outta that gear.

He absolutely ignored everything I said, and hacked and slashed through a $400 pair of custom-made-for-this-fat-dude Aerostich Darien britches. It honestly would have been easier and far less traumatic to pop the snaps on the side, undo the zippers, and slide the britches off me like a diaper. And then the pants could have been repaired, although I don't think they were even ripped. Dariens are pretty tough.

The dumb bastard was sawing away uselessly at my boots with a pair of dull scissors before I finally got his attention (the meat -- it talks?) and told him how to pop the latches and pull open the velcro to ease my boots off gently. Then he cut my socks and underwear off and slashed my jacket and sweatshirt to ribbons.

I've been bitter ever since, and I'm always on the lookout for bargain pants. I can't bring myself to drop another $400 on custom britches, but I may have to.
  9. Boneheadnw

Boneheadnw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have to admit, I have been that "dumb bastard" a time or two, although I have never had to cut the boots off a rider. One time a cyclist insisted we didn't need to cut his expensive cycling shorts off his busted hip, but the price of shorts was not worth it to him after a gentle attempt to remove them without cutting. That being said, cutting a thick pair of motorcycle boots would almost cause more pain than trying to unbuckle them, and I always ask first "How important are these (fill in the blank) before I start cutting, assuming the patient is conscious.
    Bone
  10. manstache

manstache Flounder of ADV

Oddometer:
  11. frozenpoet

frozenpoet Valks rule, clowns drool

Oddometer:
    I just spent 12 days and 3441 miles with my set. Temps ranged from 50's cool and overcast to 85 and sunny. A little bit of rain, but mostly not. I was pretty comfortable, and I stayed dry. Worth every penny for me.
    Blazejeep, WoodrowBDR and JustinOther like this.
  12. frozenpoet

frozenpoet Valks rule, clowns drool

Oddometer:
    The gear is on sale now.

150 for the jacket, 100 for the pants.
  13. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    Been looking for some gray/black pants to go along with my Klim Induction jacket for summer riding. Wondering how comfortable these would be...especially over jeans or dress slacks (for rides to/from work)...in the summer months.
  14. BiGR Rich

Oddometer:
    Mastery, first thing I did when I got the pants was take out the quilted liner. I tried them on with the liner of course, but they just weren't needed for the temps at the time. When it got a little bit cooler a week later, I tried just wearing some sweatpants underneath and the ARC pants felt rather constrictive.

But that's not to say that it would be different for you - it all depends on body type and bike ergonomics. I'm average height (5'9"), little overweight (carried in my belly), and ride a sport bike.
  15. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    Thanks BiGR Rich. I've got the black Klim Latitude set and use it for the other three seasons. Got the Induction jacket in gray and looking for some pants to wear for some protection, especially when in dress pants for work. Thought the ARC pants may be a little more lighter for hot temps and perhaps a better fit than the Latitude pants, which I usually just wear shorts under them.
  16. MikeCMP

MikeCMP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are on sale as mentioned above. They also now read as water resistant in the description.

I ruined a Saber jacket in a low speed come off, and might pick one of these up. Just grabbed one of those Alterra jackets as well, for that kind of money I don't up think you can go wrong.

Favorite gear is still my intake jacket and firstgear mesh pants, put this stuff may be better for the dirt I plan on getting into.

Mike
  17. LostInPA

LostInPA Professional American

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine got the complete set and I got to check them out in person. These are a heck of a good bargain / price performance option. While they are on sale I might grab some of the pants.

I notice that they are now listing them as ARC 2015 versions. Wonder if an updated version is on the way?
  18. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    hmm, wonder if the black will be really hot or not. I'm always weary of black gear. I'm a bigger fan of the way it looks but not trying to burn in the sun either
  19. BiGR Rich

Oddometer:
    Now that the pants & jacket are on sale, and the fact that I was happy to pay full price before, means that I was given the difference in in-store credit. I was able to order a pair of Cortech gloves, a half cover for the bike, and a set of goggles for my 4 year old son. Really liking Rocky Mountain ATV right now.....
  20. travatron

travatron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, and even though I purchased them in April, RMATV refunded the difference in store credit, plus a bonus if I spend it before Jul 4th. Just gave me $125 for no reason at all. How great!

As for the gear - it's nice, but a little hot and a little heavy. Not 100% windproof. Unquestionably worth the asking price, however.