“Dash cams” for motorcycles?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Reconstructed, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Reconstructed

Reconstructed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So about four years ago I was riding on a backroad and this dude turned left in front of me. Several broken bones and lots of stitches later, the court case was dismissed, because dude was lying his ass of, but I couldn’t prove it.

I just started riding again this year, and I want to record my rides, just in case this type of thing happens again.

I have a GoPro hero 7, but the damn thing has a mind of its own. It stops recording after a few seconds, won’t let me connect through the app to delete unneeded files...I’m just not having a good experience with it overall.

I’m thinking about getting one of the Garmin Dashcams and mounting it to the bike, but I’m wondering if there is a better option out there?
  2. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check out the Halocam M1. You'll find it on Amazon. I wrote a review of it earlier.

Chris
    draco_1967 and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  3. Suncoaster

Suncoaster Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where the girls are green and the grass is pretty.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  4. danielbak

danielbak Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been using Mobius for several years with no issues.
  6. Specularius

Specularius Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed a BlueSeaSky DV688 on my Africa Twin in August 2018. It has been working as expected. Here is a sample video from my ride in Colorado in August 2019 on Hwy 550.
    CRracer712 and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  7. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The advantage of "dash cams" like the Halocam M1 , Innovv or BlueSeaSky are they are wired into your bike and are mostly install and forget...till an accident.

You can use them as an "action" camera, but they aren't designed for that. They will however give you really decent video as you can see in the BlueSeaSky video. They are at the level of quality action cameras used to be, and for posting on a forum once in awhile, they'll work for that too.

I wouldn't waste time worrying about where you'll put the screen when you install it. The screen is primarily there to check your video to see if it is aligned properly and if the recording is good. You're not going to be peering into a 3inch screen in the apex of a tight corner at 60 mph to see what it looks like. :D And I believe all three of these camera systems allow you to easily take the video card out to review in your home computer. That's a lot more practical.

Speaking of video cards...chose wisely. This is the most critical part of the purchase. I bought a seemingly great Samsung video card and found that half the time, I was dropping frames. It needs to be capable of handling video throughput from two cameras simultaneously.

I would compare specs and prices. I think you'll find they all are the same. The price is where they differ. The Halocam ($180) and BlueSeaSky ($135) are all around the $150 price range. The Innovv is $340. I don't know about the others, but I can tell you that the Halocam customer service is excellent.

Chris
  8. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    I'll second a vote for the Halocam M1. I've had mine for 2 years. It works well.
    Daboo likes this.
  9. Ccieurzo

Ccieurzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. DesertDonor

DesertDonor Deep Sand and Mud Detector

Oddometer:
    Halocam M1 is no longer available, btw. Amazon is simply saying "unavailable" but it's either been discontinued, or is temporarily out of stock. Can't find anywhere else to actually buy it.

The closest thing for now seems to be the Vsysto M2F:

https://www.amazon.com/VSYSTO-Motorcycle-Separated-Waterproof-Capacitor/dp/B07B9RHQWV/

A new dashcam may be in my future. I have had the Innovv K2 since last July, but it has been almost a complete disaster. I am on my 3rd power supply, but last week the K2 started up with that "shut down for no reason" crap again. I'm done trying to get it to work.

In almost a year of ownership, I've had maybe 4 whole months of reliable, uninterrupted function. I last installed a replacement power supply back in December, and it's apparently failing again not 6 months later. That's unacceptable, particularly at the price point.

I'm not all that thrilled at what I'm reading on the Thinkware M1. Not sure what options are left.
  11. Bluesmudge

Bluesmudge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been running the Innovv K2 for about a year. After making sure it worked I have pretty much forgotten about it, assuming it was doing its thing until I needed it (hopefully never).
    DesertDonor, your post made me realize I should be periodically checking to make sure the Innov is functioning properly.
    I do really appreciate that it has front and rear cameras. Didn't do me any good when someone backed into my bike while leaving a parallel parking spot (would have needed side cameras for that) but luckily a nearby Sushi restaurant had security cameras.

That incident did briefly make me consider getting a 2nd unit to record left/right cameras in addition to front/rear but there is already too much aux wiring on my bike. I just want to ride -- no more tinkering! Hopefully I never get T-boned by a red light runner and wish I had went all-in on cameras.

Edit: Just checked. The Innov K2 has been capturing all my rides over the past year. Split into 3 minute video chunks. It just started overwriting data from August, so the endless loop function works with my 256GB Sandisk ultra microSD card. Video quality is so-so. You are never going to pull a license plate number off this video, unless the car stops right behind you at a red light. The video is especially mediocre at night (headlights blind the camera, since its mounted below rider/driver eye line) or 5,000+ engine rpms. Watching some of the videos was a fun trip down memory lane. To click on a few random videos from the past year. My wife got a kick out of seeing herself riding her motorcycle from the view of my tail camera. Seems like I am having better luck than Desert Donor. This is on an '06 Suzuki GS500 which has a pretty rudimentary electrical system. No idea if you would have more issues with a modern bike.
    DesertDonor likes this.
  12. CRracer712

CRracer712 Africa Twin Rocks! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Blueseasky @ 135 doesn't appear to be the model from video posted above, that one is closer to 200.
  13. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right now, it'll be hard to get anything from China. And that's where all the cameras are probably made. You might try Amos Zea on Facebook to see what he can do for you. He's the customer rep for Halocam.

I'm impressed with my Halocam M1. I know this isn't what you buy a dash cam for, but my Garmin 595 departed my bike one evening. I didn't know where, and looked back through the dash cam footage. I saw it appear in the rear camera as it took a nice long arc to the road behind me, then bounced four feet into the air before coming down in traffic. I didn't get the GPS back, but the camera footage was clear, even in the waning hours of light.

Chris
    DesertDonor likes this.
  14. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DesertDonor likes this.
  15. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:

You are correct on SD Cards, there are specific high endurance SD Cards for DashCams.

Normal SD Cards are not designed for that many continuous Read Write Cycles and temperatures, so now manufactures make high endurance SD cards specifically for Dash Cams. Many manufactures will not warranty a claim for a SD Card used for Dash Cam.

Check this link for High Endurance SD Card.

SanDisk 128GB High Endurance Video MicroSDXC Card with Adapter for Dash Cam a... https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07NY23WBG/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_cJYWEb0YPK9FD via @amazon
    DesertDonor likes this.
  16. DesertDonor

DesertDonor Deep Sand and Mud Detector

Oddometer:
    Yep, I wouldn't use a non-"High Endurance", intended-for-dashcams card in a dashcam.

What's really confusing is that some vendors will recommend non-High Endurance cards for dashcams. I had one (not Innovv, a reseller) recommend a Samsung Evo-line card for my Innovv K2. The Samsung Evo cards are marketed for high-performance storage (e.g. smartphone use), not constant writing (e.g. dashcam) and their faster read/write speeds are unnecessary unless you have a 4k dashcam.

For reasons unknown, Samsung doesn't offer a "High Endurance" product larger than 128 GB. Today I ordered a 256 GB Sandisk High Endurance card.

I have had zero problems with the 128 GB Samsung High Endurance card in my Viofo A129 (car dashcam). I'm swapping cards with the Innovv K2 to see whether the K2 behaves better. Since my last post I've seen some really bizarre behavior from the K2, which may be due to a bad SD card.
  17. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I bought my Halocam M1, a Samsung EVO was listed with the camera as part of the suggested bundle. In talking with Amos Zea from Halocam, they have no control over what Amazon shows there. I bought the Samsung EVO card, thinking it was right for the job, only to find out it was totally unsuitable.

Chris
    DesertDonor likes this.
  18. Guri

Guri Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interested in learning because I would like to install a camera on my motorcycle. In fact, I use a Go-Pro in my helmet, but I would like to have something more permanent.
  19. Wildmtn

Wildmtn Still Lost

Oddometer:
    I recently installed the Blueskysea DV688 as well. I wanted waterproof with front and rear cameras. I set it up on a relay that is activated by my CANopener and put the screen thing under the passenger seat. It works as expected but i'm not using it as an action camera as the view moves with the bike obviously. I have it for exactly the reason the OP wanted which is to record something unfortunate that hopefully never happens.
    DesertDonor likes this.
  20. dr. jones

dr. jones Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    looking thru the various Blueskysea models (DV688, DV988, B1M) i'm wondering how real-world useful the gps tracking is. like the OP, i want the dash cam for primarily safety/insurance reasons (e.g. proof that a-hole blew the light). will coordinates and speed info help in court?

currently, i'm leaning towards the B1M - no screen to break, similar specs as the other Blueskysea models (i think?), and a bit smaller footprint. the quality on all of these is not awesome, but again, that's not what i'm going for.
    DesertDonor likes this.