“Dash cams” for motorcycles?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Reconstructed, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Woody1961

Woody1961 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    INNOVV. Just works. Good video.
    dr. jones and DesertDonor like this.
  2. DesertDonor

DesertDonor Deep Sand and Mud Detector

Oddometer:
    Which one? C5 or K2? AFAIK those are the only motorcycle dashcams Innovv has offered.

And as a counterpoint: my Innovv K2 has been almost nothing but trouble. To recap, since purchase (July 2019) I've had everything but the cameras & GPS antenna replaced, and am on my third power supply. More problems starting about a week ago.
  3. Suncoaster

Suncoaster Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where the girls are green and the grass is pretty.
    Before the C5 was the Innovv C3. One has been running for years on my Tracer with no trouble.
    DesertDonor likes this.
  4. DesertDonor

Oddometer:
    Good news: There is an enthusiast who offers modified firmwares for the Innovv K2. You can increase the recording bitrate quite a bit, which improves image quality notably.

The tradeoff is that the video files are larger, but that's not much of a concern with a 256 GB card. You can still capture around 12 hours of video at increased quality (20 Mbit/s vs. the stock 12 Mbit/s) before recording over old video.

The modified firmwares have been reliable so far. Should be, since literally the only change in them is that the recording quality is increased. If you don't like the modified firmware, it's easy to re-flash back to factory firmware.

Here's the discussion thread on the Innovv forum. Includes links to where you can download the high-bitrate firmwares:

https://www.innovv.com/forum/innovv-k2/modified-firmwares-with-higher-bitrates
    Bluesmudge and Suncoaster like this.
  5. DesertDonor

Oddometer:
    Figures there was one I didn't know about. Innovv no longer lists that model. Just the K2, and the C5 as a single-channel solution, and a helmet-cam version of the C5.
  6. Woody1961

Woody1961 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sorry to hear you had so much trouble with your - sucks - I got the K2 and it has been flawless..... this video from the front camera...... not too bad - good luck with the firmware
    DesertDonor likes this.
  7. dr. jones

dr. jones Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    agreed - they seem a good choice in terms of quality (for most), but also a chunk more $. it's always a gamble to go cheap, but as this is still a nice-to-have for me, i'm trying to feel my way in and keep the money spent to a minimum.
  8. Bluesmudge

Bluesmudge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You don't really need either: Speed can be calculated using the frame rate and size of a known object in the frame like a lane line. And knowing your speed is unlikely to ever help you. Location should be self explanatory just by looking at the video (you could compare it to google street view or have a witness confirm it was the location of the incident).

For this reason I left the GPS antenna off my Innov K2. One more thing to go wrong and no common NLE video editing software handles the location data. Seems like you have to use software designed for these gps enabled dash cams.
  9. DesertDonor

Oddometer:
    I believe that's correct - there isn't a big-name video editing product which handles the GPS data in dashcam video.

Dashcam Viewer (which btw is a great program) does have a feature to merge a bunch of dashcam clips into one continuous *.mov file. I'm sure it isn't the only program of its kind, but it does a great job of playing back video while eliminating gaps between clips, with a moving map display, and with the rear view presented in a picture-in-picture manner on the front camera view (or vice-versa at user's choice).

Here's where it gets interesting. Dashcam Viewer also has a "merge a bunch of clips into a .mov file" feature. The dialog box states that when merging clips, the resulting movie will not have GPS data. But I just tried it with a few clips from my Innovv K2, and the resulting .mov actually does seem to have GPS data. At least, I saw a moving map display and speed graph, which was unexpected.

I figured out what's going on: Dashcam Viewer produces a .gpx file for the *.mov at the same time. When you play the movie, DV attempts to show you a moving map location based on the .gpx file. It doesn't work very well though. Map position was almost a full minute out of sync with video.
  10. fozrunner

fozrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently installed the B1M on my R1200GS. I bought the version with the GPS off AliExpress, cost me about $187 CDN ($126 US). It records the GPS and speed coordinates in the movie image left corner. I've sent a zip file to DashCam Viewer to see if they can extract the GPS info for that app.

Overall a pretty good unit. You can see licence plate numbers when going under 50 km/h. Whenever i had an interesting event happen I had either run out of battery in my GoPro type unit or didn't have it turned on. I like the idea that it's always recording I put a 128 GB card in it. I also put the manual lock button next to my clutch hand. I can now snap a picture as I'm going along, rather than trying to manage buttons on a camera with my gloves. This will come in handy for off-road trails.
    DesertDonor likes this.
  11. DesertDonor

Oddometer:
    Have you had the chance to use the B1M in really hot weather? How did it do?

That's a concern here, as I live in the desert.

FWIW, my Innovv K2 has been failing to stay on, failing to turn on, and overheating badly of late, as temperatures have climbed. One day last week, it overheated so badly that it locked up (wasn't recording) and physically damaged the SD card.

This may be due to a firmware flaw. Innovv seems unable to add features to the firmware without breaking old features, or introducing other malfunctions.

You may have seen me comment elsewhere on what a total dumpster fire the Innovv K2 has been for me, which is why I'm looking for a replacement system. I cannot recommend purchasing an Innovv K2. It just isn't reliable.
  12. fozrunner

Oddometer:
    I just finished running a multi-meter to find out the power draw from the B1M unit. With the key off and the GPS connected in line with the power supply the parasitic draw is around 40 mA. With the GPS unit disconnected it's around 20 mA, still pretty high and something to be aware of in case you don't keep the bike charged. My other CanBus stuff start off at 12 or so mA and then quickly go down to around 2.5 mA. I've asked the manufacturer about this and whether I can just keep both power leads on the switched side. This unit doesn't have a park mode (at least they say they disabled it) so I'm not sure why it would need that much draw to keep the internal battery charged.
  13. fozrunner

Oddometer:

Nope, no hot weather here in Alberta yet! Something I may need to know though as I'm looking to get a unit for my bike in AUS, where it does get hot!
    DesertDonor likes this.
  14. DesertDonor

Oddometer:
    Just went for a ride, in 90°F+ (>32°F) weather. K2 shut down a few times. Not totally sure it was overheating, but it does seem to act up more when it's hot.

The K2 really has been a huge disappointment. Some people have theirs work perfectly, others (like me) have nothing but problems. Not a gamble I'd have taken if I could have somehow known beforehand, but the system had only been out for about 8-9 months when I bought mine (July 2019) so I guess no one had taken it through seriously hot weather yet.
  15. DesertDonor

Oddometer:
    Supposedly, Viofo will be releasing their MT1 motorcycle dashcam system this month.

I may have to try it. Can't get the Blueskyseas B1M here any more - seems to have been discontinued. Thinkware M1 is ridiculously overpriced and underfeatured.
    Suncoaster likes this.
  16. fozrunner

Oddometer:
    Can't you order it direct from AliExpress? Less expensive than Amazon and you have the option to get the GPS module. By the way, a long press of the handlebar switch will turn off the wifi. May keep the heat down.

I just made a really bad review of the unit. I'm not too good at the YouTube thing!

PineyMountainRacing likes this.
  17. DesertDonor

Oddometer:
    I could. But I think I'll wait for the Viofo MT1.
  18. mutanic

mutanic Ride for peace of mind

Oddometer:
    Recently I bought XBHT XB601 from Taobao in China & shipped directly to me in Malaysia. It's very hard to get one the brand didn't exposed out of China market. Compared to another well known brand such as HFK in China, XBHT offered much cheaper & it came with complete package too. Easy to assemble & very good quality, camera front & rear is solid, good audio & clear, not to mention the future & function available on it. See the sample of video taken from my XB601 below :

19. mutanic

mutanic Ride for peace of mind

Oddometer:
    Here's some pictures of what's inside the box IMG20200516142524.jpg IMG_20200613_051519.jpg
  20. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer: