“Fancy” rides the TAT – Post grad school decompression trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by trikepilot, May 19, 2016.

1. true grip

true grip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report and ride Harrison! Very well done! Say hello to Jim for me
  2. Vrode

Vrode Testing...1..2...

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride and report! Congratulations on making that dream come true.
  3. Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wonderful reading and an excellent report. I was struck in particular by the passages from your mountain climbing mentors.

Thank you.
    mbogoscars likes this.
  4. trikepilot

trikepilot Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    End of transport wrapup...

Fancy arrived today and I went to get her at the dealer. I wanted to wait to see her condition before I said anything about my total experience with Federal.

[​IMG]

I made it to the dock right as she was being pushed off the truck

[​IMG]

She was in the exact same filthy and battle-scarred state that I had left her in at Lile Transport in Tualatin, OR 13 days ago.

[​IMG]

I rode her up onto the trailer, took her home, and put her on the lift table for a well deserved rest. I now plan to go over her in great detail checking, cleaning, and regreasing it all before I put her back together. Then it is back to treating her like the TBDBITW.

[​IMG]

I would not hesitate to use Federal again to ship a bike. They were amazing to deal with, took great care of the bike, and charged what I consider to be a reasonable price for shipping a big bike like this across the entire US.
    ONandOFF, eemsreno, i4bikes and 2 others like this.
  5. Jacks-son

Jacks-son Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is exciting and helps get me jump started on my own planning. I am 71 and feel great physically and have the time. 20 years ago, I road with my son, who was 30 and my pop who was 91 to the BMW rally in Montana. That was the last time I road. Bought an 1150GS in May and am getting my body ready. Is there a book or article out there that can tell me more about the TAT? List of must haves for the trip? I think I will rig a "come a long" for those times I drop my bike alone in nowhere land.
  6. trikepilot

Oddometer:
    No book I know of. I did all my research here at ADV rider. Look for the trip reports from Pitts Driver, Scheffy, and Tragic Overlander - they are all memorable ones that stick out in my memory.

Go spend time and the two TAT mapping resources - Sam's and Kevin's websites - and see what you are facing.

Go read my summary above on packing. No must-haves other than a sense of adventure and a willingness to go with the flow and adapt/overcome as needed. Don't get bogged down with superfluous farkles and bringing extra shit that you do not "need."

Come-along might only be useful in VERY selective spots where you have something to attach it to. But most times where I was faced with hoisting Fancy back on her feet, there was nothing there to use. IMHO... better to not pack stuff like this and instead hone your riding skills well before you go, practice efficient and safe bike lifting techniques before you go, and then carefully analyze lines and be smart about how you ride to prevent drops. Or even better, ride with someone else so you have help.

Enjoy the process. The info gathering and planning stages were alot of fun for me and really built the anticipation.
    zonth and mbogoscars like this.
  7. Jacks-son

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for this reply. Very helpful. Ran 300 miles of the Baja this past October and did fine on a 450 Honda. The 1150, being close to six hundred pounds, has me wondering. How heavy is Fancy? I'll check out the posts you suggested. Thanks again. Mark
  8. trikepilot

Oddometer:
    Dunno. Probably 700lb or better when she was loaded. Kinda did not wanna know. You know - ignorance is bliss...

TAT is very doable on the 1150

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  9. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Tenere is roughly 50-60 lbs heavier, but oddly is easier to pick up.

Either is easier to pick up if you can quickly remove the luggage and re-attach it.
  10. Jacks-son

Oddometer:
    Yes, makes sense. My cases come right off. I probably should lay it on its side and start practicing.
    Fun to be looking into this. Thanks
  11. trikepilot

Oddometer:
    Use softbags. I used Giant Loop but Wolfman are good and I saw some of the badass new Mosko bags out west that would be hard to ignore.

Why use softbags over hardcases you ask?
    - eliminates broken legs from foot dabs being swept backwards into case
    - after a drop, the "lid" on a softbag does not deform such that it will not close right thus depriving you of the sealed container aspect of panniers
    - most importantly... the sheer potential volume of hard cases tempts all but the strongest willed of riders to pack tons of superfluous shit they do not need.

Full disclosure... I own hardcases but left them at home in favor of the Giant Loop.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    ONandOFF likes this.
  12. Jacks-son

Oddometer:
    Very interesting concept. I will look into them. Good reasoning. Have you ventured out on any other shorter version of the TAT.?
  13. Jacks-son

Oddometer:
    Just checked out the Mosko bags. I will contact them and see what they have for the 1150. Good looking bags and as you said, smart idea. Amazing how valuable the info I have gotten from Advrider. Thanks
  14. trikepilot

Oddometer:
    Nope. Prior to the TAT I had only done a 3day-2night 500 mile trip. All my TAT decisions were based on info gathered from TAT veterans both here and locally.
  15. Jacks-son

Oddometer:
    Cool.
  16. Bmflinchum

Bmflinchum n00b

Oddometer:
    Excellent report! TAT is on my list of must do's.
  17. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been following your ride report for a while, until I left on a road trip to Colorado of my own for a sampling of all those awesome passes. A great story if you can pick out the actual ride report posts from the chronologically incongruous other posts:D, and I really enjoyed it. Still trying to trace your route and passes through Colorado. Being an aviator of sorts myself, it was very cool that you started the ride at Kitty Hawk, a place that's still on my bucket list. Too bad there's at least a day of wasteland between the Rockies and the Mississippi that almost seems like an impassable barrier.
    Since you have more than one passion, you can probably appreciate and get a kick out of this.
  18. trikepilot

Oddometer:
    Right on... A flying Harley. Crazy!

You can zoom in on my exact route at the Delorme link below.

I am looking at ways to excerpt the trip report and post it elsewhere without all the other posts.

Kitty Hawk was a bucket list place to visit for me for sure. I am glad that I got to experience it with Mbogoscars.

Uhh.... there is more than a day of "wasteland" east of the Rockies.... Not impassable, but certainly not something I relish to do again.
    mbogoscars likes this.
  19. paidoutcomes

paidoutcomes Long timer

Oddometer:
    @trikepilot Brilliant RR and epic adventure. Love that you have a bike named Fancy! I read it cover-to-cover yesterday. You on a big bike gives me the confidence to try the western half on my KTM 1290sa in 2017. I have been honing my skills over the last 20k miles and feel confident with the bike in all sorts of situations, including trail repairs. 4 trips out to the rockies and you learn fast what the bike and rider are capable of. I will however be looking to ride with other inmates as I like company and find safety in numbers. I can pick my bike up and all that, it's just easier with 2! It's a long shot but I am trying to convince my brother to ride along as he is my usual riding buddy. He would have to buy his AT before he considers it. His 2012 v-strom lacks the ground clearance he feels he would need. Did you feel that ground clearance was an important issue to consider during your western half? How much ground clearance does Fancy have?

Congrats on all your recent accomplishments.

PS: Almost forgot! Glad to see Fancy made it home safe and sound.
  20. trikepilot

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It was alot of fun. Now that I am 5+ weeks into the new job, I am longing to be out there again...

Big bike on the TAT is a matter of perception. What is big? What is hard riding? What is your skill/comfort level? I found the TAT to be exponentially easier than the stuff I regularly ride in WV. I would NEVER do the TAT again on anything small. Why take a bike that is optimized for 10% (if that!) of the trail and suffer through the rest. My $0.02...

Ground clearance is not an issue on the TAT. There is always a line where even a lowered bike can get thru so a stock Strom can easily do it if the rider is competent and confident. That notwithstanding... a burly skid guard to protect the sump is a must for any bike, IMHO!

Having folks around is a double edged sword. For 90% of the TAT I was solo and that is what I preferred. I did everything on my schedule. I never had to depart, break, pee, eat, camp, or anything else by committee. And I NEVER ate anyone's dust.... Get a Spot or an InReach and go have an adventure.

Please feel free to PM if you have any specific questions or logistics needs. The TAT was every bit the adventure I had dreamed of and I am still coming off the high of 30 days crossing the US on a big ass dirt bike.
    ONandOFF and pyrate like this.