“Fancy” rides the TAT – Post grad school decompression trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by trikepilot, May 19, 2016.

1. paidoutcomes

paidoutcomes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback. Yours, and others, RR do a great deal to provide those logistical details. My goal is to ride and fish a bit so that doesn't typically jive with other TAT riders plans so I will be solo for some of it. Thanks again.
  2. Sliverpicker

Sliverpicker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Trike----Glad to hear all is going good for ya.

Im with you on the bigger mile munchers for a ride like the TAT. Pick your lines and be cautious with the unknown ahead. Weather in the low lands is really important so you don't get stuck in the goo like OK can offer. Fuel injected 1000cc or above all is good with a nice seat and a destination.
  3. trikepilot

trikepilot Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Indeed Silverpicker. Thanks again for your hospitality and bullshit session that night/morning in OR. If I can ever repay it in these parts, please do not hesitate to reach out.
  4. true grip

true grip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having folks around is a double edged sword. For 90% of the TAT I was solo and that is what I preferred. I did everything on my schedule. I never had to depart, break, pee, eat, camp, or anything else by committee. And I NEVER ate anyone's dust.... Get a Spot or an InReach and go have an adventure.

That's the best way to decompress! I enjoy solo trips. Try riding with half a dozen bikes and a couple of them BMWs :loco
    i4bikes likes this.
  5. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride report as it really gave me some insight of what to expect, our trip came off really well....THANKS!
  6. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some people are just more comfortable keeping themselves good company than others and it's really rare to find even one or two other riders that share a measure of compatibility. I love riding solo but I've also found a group of 3 other guys that are completely compatible in riding style and character and I look forward that one big epic ride with them every year. Now, I can say that partially because I'm the navigator on these trips and ride in front. There are times when we take a break and I look at these guys covered in my dust and trail smegma and think, yeah, all that time I spend on the GPS skillz and routing is worth it :)

I've been down hard once. I high sided and landed hard enough to shatter 3 ribs, collapse a lung, and crack my shin bone. I would have been in a real pickle if there had not been other riders with me when I went down - InReach or not. Experience has taught me to ride differently when I'm alone than when I'm with buds. And there are some bits of terrain that is a group effort to get though. Those I skip when by myself.
    tomatocity likes this.
  7. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A lot of truth Pitts, very rare to find others that you can travel with let alone ride with and you don't feel like every detail is a compromise.
  8. NGA

NGA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice trip. Ya made it look easy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. Wotnext

Wotnext KLR 650

Oddometer:

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
  10. snakebitten

snakebitten Small Town Hick

Oddometer:
    Dang Harrison. I know I'm late. But nice job man.
    Those that know ya aren't the least bit surprised you chose to do it on TBDBITW.
    And on your own terms too.

Fantastic read for me, for many reasons. Thanks.
  11. trikepilot

Oddometer:
    Hey Bruce-

So great to have you back in the saddle!!! Glad you enjoyed my TAT adventures here in report form. Sure wish you coulda joined me for the CO section. We'da really had some fun!!

The Tenere was the perfect beast for my TAT ride. But you already know that TBDBITW has no peer.

I look forward to some sort of riding adventures with you in 2017. Take care....
  12. kirk824

kirk824 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome report! Looks like you had yourself a fun time. I couldn't help but notice that we just missed each other in South Western Colorado by one day!
    IMG_20160622_094848-PANO.jpg
    ShimrMoon likes this.
  13. trikepilot

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Yeah... i was making miles. You know... no moss on a rolling stone kinda thing.

I was in Lake City for awhile but everything else went by way too quickly. Gotta go back and really dig into the riding CO has to offer.

sent from my phone with fat thumbs. please forgive my typos
  14. TwoTiredRiders

TwoTiredRiders Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR and thanks for posting, sharing your experience. Particularly inspired by the large bike and solo aspect of it as not that I wouldn't enjoy the company but I've had a few trips like that cancelled because guys bailed. I think the next one I plan will go rain or shine, with or without other riders.... I also think the Delorme and Spot allow one to venture out responsibly, but not recklessly.
    Thanks again for the inspiring and educational report.
  15. Daniel3640

Daniel3640 Moto_Dans

Oddometer:
    Just read through this. Great report! If I ever make it out to the states the tat will be on my list!
  16. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    This was a great read! Nicely done, great details. Thanks for sharing.

There's this:
    [​IMG]

No road along the top, though.
  17. trikepilot

Oddometer:
    Well... at least not in my neck of Appalachia.

Thanks for the follow-up kudos guys. The trip report was a fun way to let me interact with friends and family while out on the ride. Now that it is here for posterity, it is nice to see that others are discovering in after-the-fact.
    ONandOFF likes this.
  18. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    You know where that is, right?
    About 100 mi up I81.
  19. trikepilot

Oddometer:
    No clue. But a levee...? Or just a long mound of dirt?

sent from my phone with fat thumbs. please forgive my typos
  20. ONandOFF

Oddometer: