“Fancy” rides the TAT – Post grad school decompression trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by trikepilot, May 19, 2016.

1. rottenpossum

rottenpossum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    TrikePilot, this was an awesome RR and I'm very thankful for you sharing it. I'm in Lynchburg and I'd like to catch up with you sometime over coffee or brews to chat about the logistics of the transformation from stock to TBDBITW your bike went through. I recently converted my ride from a Bonneville to an Explorer and am interested in suggestions on what to mod to make it more TAT friendly.
  2. trikepilot

trikepilot Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to help out. PM sent
  3. markbxr400

markbxr400 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice ride report. And excellent review of an under-assuming adventure bike. Ride on!
  4. Rockhopp3r

Rockhopp3r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What was the gnarliest section? Any pics/video?
  5. trikepilot

Oddometer:
    The CO high passes. Should be plenty of pix and vids in this trip report. The sand in UT was interesting but short-lived. The UTBDR had the most consistent amount of engaging terrain. Oregon felt the most remote.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  6. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    I'm going to kick this back to the top. Absolutely GREAT ride report. Found it through a link someone had placed in their African Twin TAT report. This is exactly how I would want my TAT trip to go. I've done lots of miles alone and have led one group ride up through PA and into Adirondack Park in NY and northern VT. Enjoy the Solo travel but my wife actually loves coming along on two up dirt adventures. We have done the MABDR entirely and then half again two up on a DL650 pretty loaded with hard bags. Recently decided to purchase an ATAS and am outfitting for more dirt worthy travel. Plan on doing the TAT in sections and the western state BDRs. Hoping for the release of the NEBDR tracks this winter for a summer trip this year on the new bike then planning for the TAT after that. Seems like it's possible I may have met you before since I've been to Romney for their rally most every year and you seem to know some Tenere riders from that neck of the woods that I know also. Again, thanks for the time you took to post this up. Hope you're still enjoying your job and riding as much as you like. Maybe we'll run into each other sometime. The WV / VA area is some of my favorite riding.
  7. trikepilot

Oddometer:
    Rbsride365

Glad you enjoyed the trip report. Going back thru and reviewing the posts you liked was a nice trip down memory lane. That month on the TAT was alot of fun and I, too, am aiming for some of the western BDRs when time allows in the future.

For those with interest in the TAT, check this out. It is a link my brother sent me just the other day.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-inquiry/dirt-road-america