“gearhead” help with my gear please?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by hotwheels22, Jan 29, 2019.

1. hotwheels22

hotwheels22 motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    so far my efforts have been oriented towards buying stuff new and sending it back if i don’t like it or buying used and passing it along if it doesn’t work.

anyone willing to give me some help with what i have here for long haul trips on the old school GS (with some “non-technical” off road) or spirited riding around town on the tarmac?

i’m pretty aware that i don’t quite have it dialed in and could use some insight.

thanks for any earnest input on pros and cons of what i have or suggestions on what to look at.

in particular i would love some help with assessing the safety of my road gear but also suggestions on completing the dirt off road trip gear.

figured to post what i have in part in case someone has similar taste and has a good suggestion or two on what to add.

THANKS
  2. hotwheels22

hotwheels22 motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    boots:

used Gaerne’s (they leak and they are pretty ragged)
    used Daytona track boots (no heel, toe or sole reinforcement but good shin protection and /super/ comfortable)

tried a pair of Alpinestars Toucan’s but why are so massive i can’t get a pant leg over them and it feels like i’m riding with 2x12’s or something.

the Daytona’s are my go to boot. otherwise i am rocking shortie red wings or fry boots. but right now i have nothing for long haul dirt trips really.

Attached Files:

3. hotwheels22

hotwheels22 motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    pants:

BMW city pant (pretty good on comfort and i assume (?) pretty good for safety) [knee and hip armor]
    jeans outfitted by Ruste with kevlar lining (really really comfortable and my go to pant) [knee and hip armor] >> how safe are these for road riding or long haul dirt...?!
    Klim goretex over pant (super comfortable but have not travelled with or worn them) [no armor]

Attached Files:

4. hotwheels22

hotwheels22 motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    pants 2

Attached Files:

5. hotwheels22

hotwheels22 motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    under armor

Forcefield (i wear this pretty regularly under an armored jacket with just the chest armor and leave out the shoulder and elbows)
    Knox. (just bought this cheap at the pawn shop. no chest armor but massive back armor. not sure how i would combine it with an armored jacket /and/ i lose the chest armor if i wear it instead of the forcefield which is kind of a bummer)

Attached Files:

6. hotwheels22

hotwheels22 motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    jackets

Klim Overland (back, elbow and shoulder armor. my go to jacket for a long haul or street ride right now)
    Vanson Canvas (back, shoulder and elbow protection. semi-retired. thinking of waxing it for a little rain protection)
    Spidi Warrior (seems a little skimpy on the armor but has an option for chest armor insert. a tad small for me but not really even sure what kind of protection it offers. maybe not a great jacket for anything except local street rides...?)

Attached Files: