“I Can’t Afford Not to Go!”

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by braveteacher, Jun 6, 2017.

1. braveteacher

braveteacher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_7197.JPG IMG_7200.JPG IMG_7201.JPG IMG_7202.JPG
  2. braveteacher

Oddometer:
    The artist had 10 kids and this was a note he wrote to them before he died. I hope I'm not dying anytime soon, but I need to write a note to my kids.

Pic of buffalo heads...
    Pic of the buffalo poo story...so there is no wood on the plains but plenty of poo. Poo fire wood.

IMG_7203.JPG IMG_7204.JPG IMG_7208.JPG
  3. braveteacher

Oddometer:
    Next made my way to Mt. Rush..Tons of people.

IMG_7211.JPG IMG_7213.JPG IMG_7215.JPG IMG_7219.JPG
    fasttortoise and Trip Hammer like this.
  4. braveteacher

Oddometer:
    Reading Thomas Jefferson's famous speech from the Declaration of Independence, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed." I could not help but think of the Indians.

IMG_7220.JPG
    ShineySideUp and MaddBrit like this.
  5. braveteacher

Oddometer:
  6. braveteacher

Oddometer:
    Leaving the Black Hills, I came to a town called Hot Springs! Time for a bath...it's not like it has been two weeks or anything...

G0063765.JPG G0113787.JPG IMG_20170702_185745.jpg IMG_20170702_194657.jpg
  7. braveteacher

Oddometer:
    I might have found the most BAD AS* camping spot of all times. If you are leaving south from Hot Springs on Hwy 18, you will come to Hwy 79. Turn south and maybe a mile down the road, you will come to the Cheyenne River. I guess when they updated the Hwy, they left this huge bridge abandoned. It was the most epic spot that is going to be very hard to top. Maybe climb up on the roof of a building?

IMG_7230.JPG IMG_7231.JPG IMG_7234.JPG IMG_7235.JPG
  8. braveteacher

Oddometer:
    IMG_7236.JPG IMG_7240.JPG IMG_7243.JPG IMG_7247.JPG
    ShineySideUp, STUFF2C and Trip Hammer like this.
  9. braveteacher

Oddometer:
    In the morning, a man and woman parked and went under the bridge searching and looking around...digging in the bank. Once I got a chance, I hollered down to them, "What you looking for?" The man answered that they were gem hunting. He tossed up a gem that his lady friend just found, and he said it was worth $150!

IMG_7245.JPG
    fasttortoise likes this.
  10. braveteacher

Oddometer:
    These two were so nice...once we exchanged stories, they said I could not leave their state without some gems and ended up giving me a handful. They also invited me to 4th of July at their home. I graciously declined but was filled with how nice most people can be.

IMG_7248.JPG
  11. braveteacher

Oddometer:
    Got another state down...This makes 16 so far.
    IMG_7249.JPG
    STUFF2C likes this.
  12. braveteacher

Oddometer:
    No more smelling like "PigPen." I'm going to be the BOSS from now on. Updated my sticker collection. Now I get to get some miles behind me and this Walmart stop. IMG_7251.JPG IMG_7253.JPG IMG_7254.JPG
    STUFF2C and Trip Hammer like this.
  13. STUFF2C

STUFF2C We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer:
    It's always amazed me that people will go out of their way to talk to someone on a motorcycle with camping gear strapped aboard. Looks like a great time!!
  14. STUFF2C

STUFF2C We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer:
    Looks like you're having a spiritual time.
    james.JPG
    Trip Hammer likes this.
  15. braveteacher

Oddometer:
    A while back in Wyoming, I kept coming to these terribly designed wind breaks. They did not stop any wind what so ever. I thought to myself, "Man, the engineer who designed these things is an idiot, and the state has spent thousands upon thousands of dollars for this?" Then, someone told me that those "wind breaks" were snow drift banks. LOL, they keep the snow off the roads in winter? Who knew? I'm from Florida--I don't know anything about snow. IMG_7152.JPG IMG_7154.JPG
    NOTAGAIN likes this.
  16. braveteacher

Oddometer:
    Made my way across Nebraska today...Uggghhhhh, just did my time. Nothing but a bunch of green hills and trains. I could not stop thinking about the kid's tv show "Teletubbies." I raced several trains...caught this one and stopped on an overpass to get a shot of all its coal. Another was going around 60 MPH...I was going around 70 MPH and would pass him. The conductor must have gotten a kick out of me because he showered down on the horn. Then I stopped for gas and he passed me, but I caught up. When I passed this time, I used my left hand to "spank the butt of my horse" and he let out a bunch of toots. So funny!

IMG_7255.JPG IMG_7257.JPG IMG_7258.JPG
  17. braveteacher

Oddometer:
    Ran out of gas #4. This time it was my fault. The Bonnie does not get as good of gas mileage in the wind. Thank God for the Little Red Can! Would have been a seven-mile push.

IMG_7262.JPG
    STUFF2C and Trip Hammer like this.
  18. braveteacher

Oddometer:
    Slept behind a Walmart last night...First time on the trip that I was asked to leave. This Walmart has a huge wall where they store the boxes, etc...the wall separates them from a farmer's corn field. So, behind the wall was pitch black and no cameras! Perfect, I thought? At 7am, I was woken to, "Hey you, in the tent. This is the store manager and we do not allow camping back here. I will give you a few minuets to get up and leave." Within seconds, the lawn sprinklers came on, and I was drenched! So I just stayed in the tent and made coffee in the vestibule thinking the water would turn off in 30 min or so. But no...in Nebraska they must water for hours? So, I ended up covering the nearby sprinklers with my pots, pan, and chair. Once packed up, the manager once again returned to make sure I was leaving. I guess he does not like motorcycles. Jerk. So I moved my wet gear to the parking lot and dried out. I'm on my way to the next destination!

IMG_7263.JPG IMG_7264.JPG IMG_7265.JPG IMG_7266.JPG
    ShineySideUp, STUFF2C and Trip Hammer like this.
  19. braveteacher

Oddometer:
    I am a night person and enjoy riding east much better than west. The sun is to my back.

IMG_7267.JPG IMG_7268.JPG
    Ken0312, STUFF2C, misterk and 2 others like this.
  20. braveteacher

Oddometer:
    Made it to Iowa. Nebraska...well, it shucks...just do your time to get across. Why would anyone live there? I've been looking around for Mike and Frank but have not seen them yet.

IMG_7271.JPG IMG_7277.JPG IMG_7278.JPG
    buckthedog likes this.