“I Can’t Afford Not to Go!”

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by braveteacher, Jun 6, 2017.

1. braveteacher

braveteacher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Missouri might be one of my top states. I am not sure if it is because it is familiar? I was raised in Arkansas or just the rolling hills and great riding roads? Not to mention the CRAZY WONDERFUL FREE CAMPGROUND. I use this website called https://freecampsites.net/ and Thomas Hill was on the map. I had no idea it would be so nice. I pulled in at dusk dark on the 4th with fireworks going off all around. Once set up, someone left me a bunch of firewood...a shot of gas from the Little Red Can and I was in business. Got to enjoy the fire and the fireworks across the lake. So lucky and feeling great!

IMG_7282.JPG IMG_7285.JPG IMG_7286.JPG IMG_20170704_211743.jpg
  2. braveteacher

Oddometer:
    The roads were straight and hilly...you could slam the gas and get up to 80 and let off going up the next hill...would get your stomach sometimes...so much fun!

IMG_7284.JPG IMG_7287.JPG IMG_7289.JPG IMG_7293.JPG
  3. braveteacher

Oddometer:
  4. braveteacher

Oddometer:
    I would ride from Florida just to stay at this campground. There needs to be a rally here! Anyone want to organize it? Banana breakfast, and I'm back on the road.
    IMG_7295.JPG IMG_7296.JPG
    Midwesttrekker and STUFF2C like this.
  5. braveteacher

Oddometer:
    The next day I got slammed by the worst rain of the trip. I just crossed into Arkansas when the heavens opened up. I can usually just go slow and push on...but not this time. I came across this old abandoned business and took shelter from the storm. I'm soaked but loving every minute of it.

IMG_7307.JPG IMG_7311.JPG IMG_7313.JPG IMG_7315.JPG
  6. braveteacher

Oddometer:
    Made it to Tennessee! Now time to find Elvis. Got to my friend's house in Memphis around dark. Matt is a fishing buddy that moved from Florida to Memphis. We went out for wings and had great times catching up. Shower, laundry, and a guest bed later. Now, it's time for Graceland.

IMG_7317.JPG IMG_20170705_213012 (1).jpg
    RiderRick, Midwesttrekker and juno like this.
  7. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have time detour to Cherokee NC and go to the Cherokee Indian Museum really awesome, and right down the road in Maggie's Valley is Dale's Wheels Through Time Museum
    STUFF2C likes this.
  8. ObiJohn

ObiJohn Screaming Banshee Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know this is a bit late, but many hammock companies make double-layer hammocks specifically to prevent mosquitoes biting through the hammock fabric. Or, put down a blanket on top of the hammock to give you the extra layer of protection. Were they able to get through the hammock, or just where your body touched the hammock/net?

Growing up in Louisiana, I have to say that my worst mosquito experience was when I was visiting the Everglades just east of Naples, FL... went fishing there with my family in the late afternoon... as soon as the sun dropped the mosquitoes arose in a cloud that was so thick it cut visibility. We fled back to the car, and even then we had a couple dozen that had gotten in the car with us and I spent the next few minutes killing them over my wife and small son's screams. Cannot imagine how the early European explorers survived it.
  9. STUFF2C

STUFF2C We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer:
    Your summers will never be the same :ricky
    Knute Dunrvnyet likes this.
  10. stilcrazee

stilcrazee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on Wheels Through Time.
  11. Knute Dunrvnyet

Knute Dunrvnyet Padawan

Oddometer:
  12. Knute Dunrvnyet

Knute Dunrvnyet Padawan

Oddometer:
    Did you take US 20? I did, on the way out. I was down to my jeans and polo shirt; and it was so hot, I'd stop frequently and get soaked by a roadside irrigation sprinkler....
    We shoulda done the SandHils south, Alliance to Grand Island. https://visitnebraska.com/personal_trip/sandhills-journey-scenic-byway
    Evidently the smaller roads are very twisty. Next time...
    Midwesttrekker likes this.
  13. san miguel

san miguel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sweet adventure, thanks for sharing. I teach high school in CA, actually a visual arts teacher, not too bad a gig. Caught this moto bug pretty bad, it's pretty easy to get lost w/all these ride reports on these forums! Hopefully trying to get out sometime this summer on a short trip to somewhere! Nice and pretty nomadic adventure, we all need alone time. One thing of note in CA, if you're stealth camping in some spots just watch out for poison oak! Safe travels!
  14. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    I agree! Missouri is truely a motorcyclists state at all levels. There is great dirt, well and rocks, riding with streams thru thick forests, single track, trails, and interesting steep hills. There is fantastic dualsport and adventure riding. Then there is endless curves for sport riding. As for touring and cursing, Missouri speaks for it's self! Too many riders take the U. S. highways, which are very very good; but the state and county roads are the way to go! This is true in all states.

You have truely done a EPIC RIDE your way! Thanks
    RiderRick and Midwesttrekker like this.
  15. kingofZroad

kingofZroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All caught up now, loving your report!!! Nice bike, by the way...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    wetwider likes this.
  16. Knute Dunrvnyet

Knute Dunrvnyet Padawan

Oddometer:
    Close-Encounters-of-the-Third-Kind-Website-Banner-1-980x363.png
  17. braveteacher

Oddometer:
    I woke up to an empty house, did laundry, and watched an MTV John Mayer special to get into the Elvis mood. Next thing you know it was almost 1pm. So, I set my phone to Google maps and off I went. Let me tell you, Memphis, Tennessee has the worst roads by a large margin in all of the US that I have traveled. There were pot holes, bumps, cracks, and even multiple places where concrete was spilled and dried on the road. Crazy! Did not help that Elvis lives in the "Straight Up HOOD"...or more like the "hood" moved into Elvis' neighborhood over the years.

Newport_St_James_Street_pothole_in_February_2010.JPG the_fixer.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x724.jpg article-2452333-18A6B7B600000578-777_634x510.jpg
    Trip Hammer likes this.
  18. braveteacher

Oddometer:
    Got to Graceland and after paying the $10 parking fee and the $65 entrance fee (why split it? The place cost $75...just say it), I was still in a great mood to see Elvis. They had Elvis playing on loud speakers, and how could anyone not be happy? Even after the cleaning me out? So, the park is on two sides of the street, so the first thing is get in line and get on a bus to carry over to his house.

IMG_7319.JPG IMG_7322.JPG IMG_7323.JPG IMG_7325.JPG
    RiderRick and Trip Hammer like this.
  19. braveteacher

Oddometer:
    It was a guided Ipad tour. Very cool.

IMG_7326.JPG IMG_7328.JPG IMG_7329.JPG IMG_7330.JPG
  20. braveteacher

Oddometer:
    IMG_7332.JPG IMG_7333.JPG IMG_7334.JPG IMG_7335.JPG
    RiderRick likes this.