“stitch” one piece info (gear reconfigure)

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by hotwheels22, Jan 14, 2018.

1. hotwheels22

hotwheels22 motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    hi all
    i’m considering buying a used aerostitch one piece with the idea of having something to keep me safe when i need to wear ‘normal’ clothes and go some distance.
    right now i either roll with jacket and helmet and gloves (and work boots and jeans) when i run out for an errand or i get the full ADV gear on (armored jeans and boots and klim overland) for highway rides or longer rides. i’ve got a klim ove pant gore tex liner for long haul trips so this would be the new long haul trip gear setup.
    but o don’t have anything for longer rides in town or when i have to get o the highway for a short distance but still wear normal clothes.
    right now i am thinking a used aerostitch one piece. i should say i had an AD1 pair of pants with the pads removed at one point that i was wearing with the over armored pants and i felt like an eskimo in winter and it actually was dangerous not being able to maneuver easily on the bike.
    i keep seeing folks asking for the manufactured date on a tag (?) in aerostitch flea market postings. are there different stitch one pieces? anyone think this is a good route for such a need?
    thanks in advance
    jon

<eidt: also, is there another piece of gear i should be looking at instead of aerostitch?>
  2. Chaostrophy

Chaostrophy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, they do have several models (look at the web site), and they have changed over time. For example, I bought a two piece back about 1990, the back pocket is just a pocket, not a vent, the zippers are not water proof, and some seams might leak (they sold sealant you could use to fix that at some cosmetic cost), among other things that have changed for the better. But it looks much the same as what they call a Roadcrafter Classic two piece.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    hotwheels22 likes this.
  3. Tenacious B

Tenacious B Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a used Roadcrafter 1 piece in the FM, it has served me well. It was designed specifically to be worn over street clothes and easily donned and doffed, which it is. I've worn mine to commute, sporty rides, long trips, and track days.

The only real downside to me is that they are pretty hot. With short gloves, pit and back vents open, and the main zipper opened a few inches you can decent air circulation on the upper body, but my legs always get hot. Below 70F I'm usually pretty comfortable, but it is humid here so really anything is uncomfortable above that. When it gets cold I wear a packable puffy jacket undernearth; mine is from Mountain hardware, but many of the outdoor companies make them.
    hotwheels22 and Chaostrophy like this.
  4. S21FOLGORE

S21FOLGORE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To OP,

The first thing you should think is, at what temp range you are going to use RC 1pc.
    RC 1pc is not comfortable in hot weather, especially the one with the liner.
    (Now they are called "classic". )

"How hot is too hot?" greatly depends on

A. What you wear underneath
    B. Your body's heat tolerance

I would say, if you are thinking to use it above mid 80s, most probably you wouldn't like it.

If you are going to use it mostly below 80°F, then it is useful. (Providing that you don't wear things like blue jeans or Carharth cotton duck canvas pants, that sort of thing.)

If you are planning to use it for mostly warm weather, you can try to look for

Roadcrafter R-3
    came out 2014 spring. R-3 has no liner. It is definitely cooler to wear (I used to wear the lined version, switched to R-3, in 2015).
    Also, the suit is noticeably lighter. (NOT that the material is thinner / lighter. R-3's outer shell is the same as original. It offers the same level of protection.)

New features that were introduced with R-3
    1. Magnetic clasp collar
    [​IMG]

2. 2-way zipper on the back vent

[​IMG]

3. 2-position snap down collar

[​IMG]

4. Hidden pass-through port for electric power line

[​IMG]

5.Mini carabiner on chest pocket

[​IMG]

6. YKK waterproof zipper NOT riri zipper

[​IMG]

7. on R-3, hook & loop on the legs are angled.

R-3
    [​IMG]

Old style
    [​IMG]

8. R-3 has new / better designed storm flap (rain gutter)

Roadcrafter light (produced 2011, 2012, made in Vietnam.)

Lighter shell material (HT200 Denier Nylon Gore-Tex, regular Roadcrafters are constructed of 500 denier Cordura) and no liner makes it about 3 lb. lighter than the regular Roadcrafter suit in the same size. And HT200 Denier Nylon offers about 2/3 abrasion resistance of the 500 Denier Cordura used for original suit.
    It was sold without armor but you can put TF3 or TF5 armors.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

article
    https://rideapart.com/articles/gear-aerostich-roadcrafter-light-one-piece-suit-review
    http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2011/05/aerostich-roadcrafter-light-on-the-way/

There was also "ultra light", but I personally would go either RC light or R-3.
  5. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's The Aerostich owner's response to altering used gear (and why buying new might be a 'better' option) from a recent thread:

Chaostrophy likes this.
  6. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    Andy gave a great reply. Explained how and why policy is what it is. What more could someone want?
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  8. Chaostrophy

Chaostrophy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And, they'll sell you the bits to have someone do it for you, which is very nice.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
  9. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    I have both a roadcrafter and a Darien jacket and pants
    These days if I reaching for an over my street clothes get up it's almost always the Dairen, there's just way more flexibility built into that set.

Where I like the Roadcrafter is when I was going into an office everyday when it was cool not cold with little or no rain

I like the RC classic over the laminated onesies. if i'm getting an aerostich onesie it's going to have a full lining.