“Street Legal Off Road” -- Good news for small technical thumpers

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Granitic, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Granitic

Granitic Backcountry rider

Oddometer:
    Unintended consequences? It appears some very interesting multi-purpose bikes are coming thanks to emissions standards.

"Beta has combined the features of the 2016 RR and RS models to create the all new RR-S which are all 50-state street legal and will now fill the segment of “Street Legal Off Road”

2017 Beta 125 RR-S ($4999) 219 lbs
    http://www.betausa.com/content/2017-beta-updates
    http://www.betausa.com/content/125-rr-s
    Test https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2016/07/12/2017-beta-125-rr-s-review-dual-sport-torture-test/

I can't help but wonder if this price was Beta's "tip of the hat and I'll raise you $4999" to AJP's PR4

"From this point forward, all FE models will be street-legal. ... Part of that change is due to tightening EPA emission regulations. The distinction between a designated off-road vehicle and a DOT-certified street bike has narrowed to the point that it didn’t make sense to offer two different lines."
    http://dirtbikemagazine.com/news/husqvarna-dual-sport-2017
    First look: http://www.cycleworld.com/2017-husqvarna-enduro-models-motorcycle-review-first-look

Meanwhile Honda is sending surveys to CRF230F owners asking if they would like to buy a modern CRF. It's all good.

I would guess the graying of the market is also a huge factor. Dealers are hearing, Yeah I've done the ambulance thing and now I wear relaxed fit jeans and just want to have fun and low maintenance.

Technical trail bikes reviews, quotes, comparisons
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MTAKCNrGpBY3f1xRlaVosDPKCBTD0-qIutfcPRJRQ8M/pub

Spreadsheet by weight
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PPygBYCFTAnaB3ySwAfcxTUkL8JKve759TlTodlRNwc/pubhtml
    Kawidad likes this.
  2. malignity

malignity Wonton

Oddometer:
    Spread sheet is a bit off. The WR250R weighs 295, the F weighs 258, not the other way around. :)

If the Whirrrirrrrrrr weighed that little I'd still own it.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  3. Granitic

Oddometer:
    Fixed, thanks for catching that!
  4. fatbikeracer

fatbikeracer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Too bad it's a Beta. We've already dealt with Cagiva.
  5. malignity

malignity Wonton

Oddometer:
    125cc 4 stroke is tinyyyyyyy.

Street legal off road maybe, but top speed of 35. lol.
  6. fatbikeracer

fatbikeracer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Should do 60. Not all Americans only want to wheelie down interstates, this is a dream bike for technical east coast riding and has a plate for short connectors where the forest Rangers sit waiting for someone to come by without a plate.
    Also maybe a great way to get my wife to ride. Too bad it's italian.
  7. Tactical Lever

Tactical Lever n00b

Oddometer:
    I agree. Sometimes it's nice just to get on something that's easy fun and light. On the right, tight trail a 125 can be more than enough.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk
  8. monmendoza

monmendoza Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want this. I hope it gets introduced in the philippines. :-)
  9. malignity

malignity Wonton

Oddometer:
    What can this do that an XT250 can't at about the same price? I guess I don't get it. The XT250 is TINY. It's got worse suspension, but it's about the same weight, same size, and double the engine. I guess I'm missing something.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  10. Earth Rider

Earth Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Googling tells me this weighs about 60 pounds less than an XT250.
    fatbikeracer likes this.
  11. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And it's 4 valve 125 probably makes the same power as the xt motor.
  12. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    drone down the highway for hours on end?
    i have an xt225 for more "technical" stuff, and i would love this 125 instead
  13. Earth Rider

Earth Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also would prefer that this 125 was a 250, but it's a huge step in the right direction.
  14. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I read an article that said in the comments below it that a 195cc cylinder kit is available, and that makes this damn tempting.
  15. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    Maybe Beta's BYOB program will include the 200cc kit.
    villageidiot likes this.
  16. Huskyfatman

Huskyfatman Stinky Wizzleteats

Oddometer:
    QUOTE="fatbikeracer, post: 30422258, member: 363815"]Too bad it's a Beta. We've already dealt with Cagiva.[/QUOTE]

Huh, my '95 Husky 610 outlasted all my buddies XR600's. That is, they all jumped to YZF's and now can't believe they used to ride those overweight underpowered turds. At lest the suspension sucked. What's Honda offering now? The decades old XL650 and an aniemic 250 that weighs almost as much as the 650.:lol2

Now my buds are all on Ktmabergvarnas and a couple guys are racing Betas and love them.

Yamaha is the only Japanese company making bikes for off-road enthusiasts who aren't strictly MX guys, and they don't seem interested in plating them.:dunno
    builditjr likes this.
  17. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Ive had a Beta Xtrainer for a bit now. Neither mine nor my buddie's Beta 300rr have had any issues though time will tell.

I certainly dont expect it to be as bullet proof as my DR650 but its light years ahead in performance.
  18. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Sounds great to me.
    I had a street legal TTR125L in the past. I loved that little bike. Such a stupid mistake to sell it. A dualsport 125/200 would be great to keep in the garage next to my two stroke.
  19. Granitic

Oddometer:
    The 125 RR-S is just a first move, or an early move. What comes next may be more interesting.

Potentially this is a new playing field / market segment that will get active with multiple vendors jumping in.
  20. TeeJayIdaho

TeeJayIdaho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm anxiously awaiting the new Beta 125 and will be taking a test spin on one as soon as they show up. Would also really like to see other manufacturers taking on the market segment and give some more good options for smaller / lighter bikes that still have high quality suspension and components. So frustrating the lack of options compared to when shopping for mtn bikes and they will have multiple frame sizes for most bikes, not to mention the moveable seat position. If all I ever rode was tracks or flatter terrain the weight/height wouldn't matter that much, but so many of the trails we hit have super gnarly sections (like miles of rock-filled drainage creeks, root infested washed out hillclimbs, etc) that it just kills me if the bike is too tall and heavy.