02 CR125 rebuild and other related stories.

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by tHEtREV, Dec 30, 2019.

1. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    This may get long, and possibly never finished...

Quick back story, A few years ago I decided big bore four strokes were not for my while trail riding, so I decided to sell my 06 KTM 525 and get a newer Yamaha WR250.

Well because I have only ever once decided to buy a particular model bike, and actually bought it (that would be the 525 and only because I had already bought a rally kit for a 525) I ended up buying a Husky WR250 when I bid on it on eBay and being so close to Xmas no one else bid on it...

The problem was that the seller was selling two bikes, the other was an 08 Husky TE250. I had put a bid on that to... And 15 minutes after "winning" the WR, I also had an 08 TE250...

So I picked up the bikes, and the owner said he had a spare 06 TE250 in pieces I could have for another $600. I declined, and a few weeks later he put it on eBay and I payed $200 for it.

Plan was to ride the WR while I set the TE up how I wanted it and use the 06 TE for parts.

Plan changed after the first ride. I loved the TE and didn't really like the WR.

So the WR got sold after a quick rebuild.

WR when I got it.
    20171226_151429.jpg
    And being sold.
    20180908_173648.jpg
    And with a bit of spare money I decided pick up a few cheap spares for the TE.

Then I got bored one day and thought I might assemble the 06 TE to make it easier to store/move.

Started out like this.
    20190103_202145.jpg
    20190105_122454.jpg
    And after a few weeks it ended up like this.

20191007_145907.jpg
    Pezz_gs, Wodger63 and Navin like this.
  2. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    I ended up swapping the TE for a 2010 TC450.

20191020_153400.jpg

The guy wanted to swap because he just had a knee reconstruction and couldn't kick start the bike, he loved Huskys but needed a bike with E start. On the way to pick it up I bought a wreaked 04 Husky SMR450 for $350, put the starter motor and a few other pieces like reg rec and other electrical stuff on the TC and I had an electric start TC (the TC already had most of the wiring and a charging circuit for the battery). And I sold the other pieces of for $450.

I thought I would love the TC being lighter than my TE, but with much more power, but I actually preferred the 250, so I put the TC up for sale, got approval from the lovely wife to buy another bike before the TC sells if the right one came up.

So after much thinking I decided I wanted an aluminum frame YZ125. I have always been a fan of 125's, and lately I have preferring small bikes to bigger ones so my mind was made up.

There was a false start on an 05 that a guy wanted way to much money for, and then an Aprilia RXV450 came up for sale in my price range, and after trying to resist I ended up contacting the owner and it was looking like a deal may be struck.

I was a bit annoyed at myself for not sticking to the plan, but it was an RXV 4.5, and I have always wanted one of those beautiful monsters.

But then the original owner of the TC contacted me and begged me to swap back, so tomorrow I am driving 1.5 hours north to swap back bikes.
    Navin likes this.
  3. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    So I know I am not going to be able to sell the TE for as much as I would get for the TC (but the guy really loved his TC, so who am I to keep them apart) and I started looking at 04 and earlier YZ's because they are apparently pretty good as well. And then I expanded my search for KX's as well as a select year of RM, I didn't worry about the CR's because they usually go for stupid money (just like KDXs do here, you can't buy a rough 95 that is missing plastics and has a mismatched exhaust for under $2000).

And then an 02 CR with stuffed crank showed up 15 mins away, so without thinking I contacted the guy, gave him $900 and bought a stuffed 18 year old bike.
    20191230_112948.jpg
    Brtp4, JagLite, Pezz_gs and 2 others like this.
  4. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Today the tear down began, it actually started as
    A shed clean out, but I wanted to get started.

20191230_131318.jpg
    I was surprised to find that it is in really good condition. No rounded or missmatched bolts, or any of the usual crap you find on an old 125.
    20191230_155043.jpg

And this is how it currently sits.
    20191230_165441.jpg

Plan is to get it going again, and turn it into a tight bush bike.
    JagLite, North ride and Navin like this.
  5. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    You gonna keep the PV, limit it or set it fixed?
  6. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    No idea, I can't say I know much about CRs, I have been researching YZs for the past few weeks and only started working on the CR yesterday.
    Navin likes this.
  7. dave0

dave0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Curious as to the advantages of modifying the PV as outlined.
  8. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    I think people try and gain some bottom end, or smooth the transition when the power valve opens, but every time I ride a 125 I try to keep it in the upper rev range. More of a pin it and row through the gears.

I was originally considering fly wheel weights and al the other things to try to get it to chug, but that's not what riding a 125 is all about. I'm going for all mid and top and looking to replace the clutch plate a lot.:lol3
  9. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    my head hurts
    longdude17 likes this.
  10. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    I'm sure it does Joe...
  11. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well i read your first post this morning before having a coffee.
    couldn't work out how many bikes you now have.

Hows the kle 24hr bike prep going?

12. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Bikes owned, 08 TE250, 02 CR125, KLE500 and the 06 TE250/310 that is for sale.

24hr prep hasn't begun, but that may put the brakes on the CR project for a while.

If I have enough money I'll take the TE on the back of the car to do it (TE still has to be registered at the moment) if funds are running short I'll settle for the KLE (but probably only do rally class).
  13. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Just been doing boring cleaning on the CR the last few days, swing arm bearings are shot, so I have new ones ordered, linkage bearings all looked good and still had some grease in them.

My main concerns are the shock (missing bump stop and some rust on the shaft right at the bottom) one fork has a rust spot on it right near the top of the slider that won't polish out and both forks have corrosion on the aluminum and the anodizing has flaked in some places.

I suspect the front wheel has the usual crack in it but someone has epoxied over it.

I'm in two minds at the moment whether to get it running, see if I like it, and then do some work to it if I like it or send it on it's way if I don't.

A full rebuild kit (crank, seals gaskets and piston etc) is around $400, or I could just whack in a second hand crank.

Replacement wheels and suspension look relatively cheap and plentiful, but I am thinking about going to CRF250X stuff for more trail friendly set up and 18 inch rear...
    mrsdnf likes this.
  14. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Just made a deal on an allegedly good second hand crank. So at the moment it will just get a clean and a test run.

I'm kind of torn as to weather to keep the CR or sell it and keep the 06 TE...

Guess I'll find out after I ride the CR (if the TE hasn't sold by then).
  15. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Well everything turned up for the rebuild eventually.

But unfortunately the crank bearings didn't turn up until Monday and I was hoping I could start on the engine last weekend so this kind of sucked.

But anyway, the bike now has new brake lines, new swing arm bearings, new seals and gaskets in the engine. I had yesterday off work and managed to get it together by mid morning, and loaded up the TE and CR to take them to a local riding area.

I wanted to take them on the MX track in case something went wrong, but they had there tracks closed because of rain so I just hit the trails.

I took the TE out first and liked the extra power of the 300cc cylinder, but didn't like the extra vibes. over all I preferred my 08 250, and that is great because I sold the TE that afternoon.
    20200117_134030.jpg
    My initial impression of the CR wasn't great. Handling felt great, but it was hard work trying to keep in on the boil. It took a lot of clutch abuse.
    20200117_142456.jpg
    It handled the rocky hill climbs a lot better than I was expecting, but really needs lower gearing. I had pretty much decided to sell it after 15 mins. And then I started pushing it harder and really started to like it.
    20200117_142510.jpg

It is a lot of fun when you up the pace, but my fitness wont let me keep that up for to long.

So I 'm not really sure what to do, just sell it on now, fix some of the smaller stuff, add some pretty bits and sell it on, or fix the few things and stick with it a while longer and see if it grows on me...
    JagLite likes this.
  16. dave0

dave0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More riding interspersed with gym time.:lol3
  17. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    144 cylinder ported for the bottom end. Spacer on the pv chamber and a spacer on the pipe.

Sumo wheels
  18. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    144 cylinder and porting is way more that I intend to spend, and I don't see a point in chasing bottom end power on a 125. They need to rev.

I put it up for sale, but I'm not 100% sure I want to sell it.
  19. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Convert it to electric.
  20. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    I was fine with spending money on it until you pointed out I had the 24hr I needed to save money for.

I was mainly selling it to finance the 24hr, but I decided I have 6 months to save so I'm not selling it for a while.

Plan is to make sure the PV is set up correctly, lower the gearing and see how I like it.