02 CR125 rebuild and other related stories.

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by tHEtREV, Dec 30, 2019.

1. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode a yz144 set up for woods ported for low end and it was nice. Not quite lugging but no explosive back wheel spin.

When you day stuffed crank, was crank stuffing done or you saying it was broken?
  2. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    The big end bearing came apart.
  3. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
    Stuffed is one of the many Australian words for f*cked :D

Came apart is very polite :lol3
    Fast Idle likes this.
  4. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I was knackered.
    Roofchop and Fast Idle like this.
  5. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    I've done a bit lately, but because I have just been fitting parts as they turn up and doing things in half hour intervals I haven't taken any pics.

Fitted new brake and clutch levers, new throttle cable (the old one was a bit frayed at the throttle end) and scored a good front wheel for $30.

I also went back to fix a dodgy bolt on the exhaust, and while I had that out I thought I would check the power valve adjustment, and I found that not taking 5 mins to read the Hanes manual meant that I had stuffed up, and the power valve was stuck in the closed position, so that would explain the disappointing top end on the bike.

I also made up a brass collar for the PV actuator arm because the old one was missing, and no longer available (apparently) and that took away a lot off rattle it had when running.

There is a big swap meet I'm going to tomorrow so I have been reluctant to spend money on anything else, but I'll be starting again after that (and I will also be keeping an eye out for anything I can use on the CR). But the last few years I have seen rather cheap bikes there and I am half expecting to be starting a new project on return.

The first round of a local MX starts next weekend and I am considering taking the CR to try it out as well, but that depends on money.
  6. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Well I didn't buy much at the swap meet, just a few front tyres, almost bought a set of wheels for the CR until I picked them up and just the bare wheels with no tyres were as heavy as the standard wheels with tyres and sprocket etc.

New rear sprocket turned up and went to swap it out and saw a spoke was lose, tried to tighten it but found it was seized, then found another, and another, took the tyre of to have a better look then decided it would be easier to scrap the rear wheel.

A quick search found one from a CRF250r for $30, it was the other side of town, but I had already organised to go over there to pick up a second hand Polisport restyle kit.

So as of this afternoon here is where it sits.

20200209_165419.jpg

20200209_165436.jpg

20200209_165445.jpg
    Pezz_gs likes this.
  7. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Oh and I was all keen to try it with the new gearing because I thought it was geared to high for the riding I do, but I was wrong when I said it had 45 teeth on the rear, it was 51, the same as I put on, so I'll probably move it on soon.

I'm tossing up between an old 200 2 stroke trail bike (KDX,DT/WR), an 06/08 KX250F or an old WR250f. There is this https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/tor...6-frame-with-it250-motor-dirt-bike/1232106820 and a non running 92 Husky WR360 that they want $1500 for.

There is also a few XR250/400 as well, but I think I might sell the CR and see what good deals turn up around the $1000 mark, the rest of the money will go into getting my Husky on the road and going to the 24hr in July.
    Pezz_gs likes this.
  8. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Well I have the CR up for sale, had a few promising nibbles but it is still sitting in the shed, and today it's replacement showed up.

20200220_120203.jpg

An 06 Husky CR125, bought sight unseen and the guy delivered it from 4.5 hours away, and to be honest, if it was local I would have walked away from it.

The guy said it was only going into first, so I took the gamble that it was something small like the gear lever hitting on something (I have seen that happen before), but when it arrived I nearly gave him $50 for his trouble and told him to keep it.

Big fist sized dent in the pipe (I could see some small ones in the pics I had seen but didn't think they were that bad) leaky fork seals (I kind of expected that), shock had oil all over it and needs a rebuild, rusted nuts everywhere, it just looked shit. But my plan was to get it running and just be a bike I didn't mind throwing down cliffs, so I helped them unload it.

He was trying to talk it up saying not to worry about the flat tyres, they hold air but it is just tied down so well that they looked flat.

First there was a horrid grinding sound coming from the chain that was way to tight, then I put some weight on the seat and said "Shocks fucked", he says yeah, but that's all that's wrong with it, besides it making horrible noises when you try to put it in second."

I was told it wasn't going into second, there was no mention of horrible grinding noises...

Then he apoligised for putting another tear in the seat cover when he tied it down...

So I paid to much, pushed it inside, gave it a quick wash and slacked the chain off, then went about inspecting it, and things didn't get any better.

I started it up and there was an awful rattling noise, I tried holding the chain and discs but it didn't make a difference, pulled the clutch in and it made a scratching noise and settled to a very high idle. I shut it down and loaded it onto the work bench.

Before I put it on the stand I thought I'd drop the oil, but when I pulled the sump plug only a few drops of rancid smelling black stuff came out. So I found the reason for the problems...

Pulled one of the side covers off, and was greeted with a distinct lack of air filter...

I have no idea how long these fuck wits have been riding this bike without oil or an air filter, but my plans of a quick fix have gone out the window.

And here is some of the other stuff I have found.

Don't have the proper pin for the brake lever? Just use a long nut and bolt.

20200220_165200.jpg

Engine mounting bolts missing? just use any old bolt you have laying around. 20200220_165208.jpg

And apparently the tube holds air, so the rear tyre is good to go. Front still has a few knobs intact.
    20200220_165218.jpg
    scot_douglas likes this.
  9. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    Hi tREV :wave

Mate go and slam your fingers in the car door a few times . . . far less painful than that mess :(

However, as usual, I look forward to your progress :thumb
  10. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    It's actually cruising along nicely, I haven't updated anything because it is all boring stripping and cleaning so far.

It is all pulled down at the moment, I have the crank case painted, all new bearings ready to go in, just waiting on some shift forks coming from the States (the old ones were badly worn where they were trying to get it into gear). Ordered a heap of other parts and replaced some stuff with crap I already had laying around.

I'll have to start taking more pics...

Found a local suspension guy to do the shock. He recons about $240 to replace the seals and bump stop, and re valve for trail use, so i am pretty happy with that.
    Pezz_gs likes this.
  11. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    This is where it was yesterday.
    20200223_163209.jpg
    Well actually that pic was taken earlier last week because the other CR has been sold. I decided to go for white frame like the later Huskys, I almost went red but I played it safe.

This pic was taken yesterday though.

20200301_131909.jpg

Swing arm bearings were cleaned and greased, well one side was, the other fell apart, but for some reason I had two bearings left over from (I think) the Honda CR, and they fitted, so in they went.
    piola, mrsdnf, JagLite and 2 others like this.
  12. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Been busy at work and waiting for the shift forks to show up. I have done one fork, it had some bad rust spots and did a dodgy "fix" with epoxy glue.

I went to a swap meet this morning thinking of getting another project but ended up spending all the money I bought on the CR.

20200314_131945.jpg

I was on my way to buy a bash plate with pipe guard for a KTM 200 EXC when I saw a guy I had bought some stuff off before so checked for Husky stuff, and he had a brand new set of pivot pegs and a cylinder for an 08 CR125. My cylinder is fine but the 08 has different porting that is supposed to give better bottom end. So I grabbed them for $200.

I needed an air filter and found one at a stall from a guy who owned a bike shop. I picked up it and the rest of the stuff in the pic for $50.
    mrsdnf, mikeysduck and Pezz_gs like this.
  13. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    I've been doing a lot of overtime lately so haven't done much. Just small jobs like fork seals and front tyre.

I had some time to work on it today and ended the day with this.

20200322_162840.jpg

Placed the engine in the frame and hoped I'd get some time during the week to do some more assembly.

20200322_194144.jpg

I did strike a few small problems along the way that saw me backtrack a bit to double check things or do things properly. The biggest disappointment was finding that the 08 cylinder uses different power valves and the 06 ones don't fit, so I went back to the 06 cylinder. New PVs are around $500 for the set and I'm not willing to spend that on it just yet.
    mrsdnf, Pezz_gs and Roofchop like this.
  14. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    I'm still at work at the moment so I haven't had much time to work on the bike but I have gotten to the stage where there is a heap of little jobs to do, I did the seat yesterday.
    20200328_161050.jpg

Bought a cheap eBay seat cover and the first thing I thought when I pulled it out of the packet is that it was nice and soft, not at all grippy like it is supposed to be. I'll use it for now because it is better than what is on it but I see a new seat cover in the bikes future.

I also didn't check where the ribs went and had the last one running across the hole for the Dzues fastener, so I cut it in half.

I also didn't quite get it straight and that will annoy the crap out of me every time I look at it.

20200328_165956.jpg

I also found a crack in the top engine mount (top left of the bottom bolt) and have already ordered a replacement.

20200328_171332.jpg

Had a set of crappy home modified Force radiator guards sitting around that fit, rough looking but better than nothing at this stage.
    20200329_122411.jpg

And this is how I left it on Sunday afternoon.
    20200329_180940.jpg

I did a lot of little jobs I didn't bother documenting, like replaced the seat Dzus fastener and greased the linkage bearings, but I just get into the swing of doing jobs and forget stuff like that...
    Pezz_gs and mrsdnf like this.
  15. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    This afternoon I decided to attack that rear brake pin. I didn't have one that would fit in my spares so I made one from a KLR footpeg pin.

Drilled a 2mm hole in the right spot.
    20200330_171224.jpg
    Then hacksawed it to the correct length, some half hearted fileing, a washer and an R clip from the bag of 20 I bought at a swap meet last year and I have something slightly better than a nut and bolt that was way to long.

20200330_171726.jpg
    Roofchop and mrsdnf like this.
  16. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    I had last week off work so I got a bit of time tinkering in the shed, and then all of a sudden I'm a rear tyre and shock flap from having it ready to test ride.

20200413_122539.jpg

20200413_122558.jpg

20200413_122607.jpg
    20200413_122619.jpg
    No where near perfect, but it is just supposed to be a bike I'm happy to throw down a rock strewn cliff anyway. Still have a few things I'll be doing to it while I wait to be able to ride it.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  17. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    On Saturday I added another bike to the stable.

20200411_123309.jpg
    It was advertised as a DT250, so I assumed they ment DT200.

Noticed it was a plastic tank when I got there but assumed if they did a USD fork swap then they may be using a different tank, and I only wanted the engine and frame anyway.

Paid to much for it ($200) and noticed it didn't have an electric power valve, then saw it was a 250, and the side stand bracket had me thinking it may be a WR250z.

Got it home and did some number checking to find it was just a 1990 YZ250. Started making plans for a Chesterfield replica then started looking at how much I would need to bring it up to scratch and realised I shouldn't have bought another rusty heap of shit. So I spent the day tinkering with it and got it started. Advertised it for $400 and sold it for $350 an hour later.

20200411_170531.jpg
    20200411_170546.jpg
    20200411_170558.jpg

Dodged that bullet...
  18. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Well I had been keeping my eye out for another project to keep me busy and I thought I might try a road bike, with a bit of searching I found 02 Triumph Sprint that was missing all it's body work for really cheap. It was going to be a long term project and I was going to aim for a Speed Triple look.

My wife had checked it out and was going to get some photos for me the next day (it was at a bike shop next door to where she worked, but stored behind a heap of other bikes) but I wasn't 100% sure I wanted to commit to such a big project and decided I was going to make a decision once I had talked to the shop owner and seen the pics, and as I was going to bed the night before I happened to glance at Facebook market place page and saw someone had just put up a 2010 Husky TC250 for wreaking.

I had a quick look at the location and saw I passed his house on my way to and from work, and I did need to replace my forks and the 2010s had KYB AOSS forks, so I sent a message asking how much for the forks and triples. $80 was the reply, so I said I'd be around the next day to pick them up.

There was a few things on the bike that would fit my 08 TE that I wouldn't mind so I started asking about them, and asked how much he wanted for what he had left, we came to an agreement and the next day I picked up a lightly used 2010 TC250 with a stuffed engine, no wheels, radiators or brakes (he had an 07 TE450 that I assume he raided the parts for).

He said the engine was seized, I whipped the head of and it looked in good condition, from what I could see of the bore it looked good, then I pulled the cylinder off and the piston stayed in there... Crank had snapped.

I have heard so many stories of low hour 2010 TC250s snap there con rods that I decided I didn't want to bother with it and stuck to the plan of raiding it for parts.

20200418_164752.jpg

And so now my 125 has decent forks with no pitting.

20200419_094143.jpg

And here is the piston beside an 04 SMR450 piston I have in the shed...

20200419_160237.jpg
    mrsdnf, Pezz_gs and Roofchop like this.
  19. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    The new TC came with an FMF exhaust, so that went on my KLE.
    20200420_171650.jpg

The mud flap and frame guards went onto the CR.

20200420_171758.jpg
    20200420_171813.jpg

I'm liking the look of the new forks.
    20200420_172011.jpg
    And I also have a new piece of art for the shed.
    20200420_171859.jpg
    mrsdnf, DRjoe, Bluetonguejak and 2 others like this.
  20. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Well yesterday I scored a set of wheels from a WR250 for $150, so now I have a 18 inch rear. And that got me to looking at the TC I got for parts. With a spare set of wheels I now have a lot more of the bits to make the TC complete. I found a set of old X lite radiators, and have brakes for the front, and as far as I can tell all I need is air filter cage, carb and manifold, rear disc carrier, rear wheel spacers and fix the conrod and I have another 250...

But every 2010 TC250 I have read about or known off has snapped the rod at the big end. I'm wondering if it was just a bad batch of rods and going to a Wossner would fix it, or if I can expect the rod the snap again. And I already have a 125 2t and 250 4t so there is a lot of overlap in bikes.

The other option is to whack another engine in the frame, but there isn't much room in there...