02 CR125 rebuild and other related stories.

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by tHEtREV, Dec 30, 2019.

1. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Picked up a 13 350 Excf.
    20200613_165444.jpg

Picked up an 04 CRF450R that needs the inlet valves replaced. New rear tyre on the way as well as new brake pads and plastics.

Steel valve conversion and gasket kit turned up during the week but they sent one exhaust valve instead of the inlets and springs so they should be here early next week.
    20200627_114252.jpg

20200627_114304.jpg

So hopefully it should be together and ready for sale by next weekend.
  2. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
    You'll need a traders license soon:lol3
    Pezz_gs and Fast Idle like this.
  3. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    I got the head together during the week, had Friday off so thought I'd get the CRF together.
    20200703_084916.jpg

Assembly went OK, found there was a dodgy valve cover bolt and replaced it with a less dodgy one, got it together and tried to start it. Kicked it a shitload but only got the occasional backfire.

Jumped on the computer and found it was a common problem if the cam is one tooth out so I went in again to double check and it looked good (I did readjust the valve's though), still nothing.

Spent the rest of the day going over what I did and gave up with no progress.

I couldn't get to the bike until Saturday afternoon and unfortunately the garage fairies didn't pay it a visit last night and it was still a no go.

I was told by the owners father that the bike was running, then he lost compression and it was taken to a shop where they investigated and said the valves needed replacing, he didn't have the money so they sold it. I was assuming that this was true and all that was wrong with the bike, so I decided to unassume and start from scratch.

New fuel, no go, carb looked clean and wouldn't fire on starting fluid, had spark... Well it had spark a second ago.

No spark now. Push the kill switch while kicking and you get one spark, let it go and it gives a couple and then nothing. Disconnected the kill switch and still nothing. All the wiring looks good but the cover on the harness has been cut open so someone has been looking for a broken wire before. cleaned the ground for the coil with no change.

After consulting my computer it appears that quite a few CRF450 owners have had this happen (some after rebuilds) and most/all needed a new stator.

I've got family things to do all day but at some point I might replace that old multi meter I had that I can't find anymore that was cheap and mostly broken anyway, and do some basic tests and replace the stator anyway...

I would have done it yesterday but I was to focused on blaming my work instead of looking at the bigger picture...
  4. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Bugger.
  5. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    New stator finally arrived, installed it and it wouldn't even spark when the kill switch was pressed like the old one did. switched back to the old one, wired an old Husky TE510 CDI I had sitting around (bypassed the wiring harness) and I got spark. All the wires test OK, so I am going to try a different CDI...

I'm over this bike. Almost put it up for sale as is, and if the CDI isn't the problem I probably will.
  6. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Well I am guilty of following the rule of trouble shooting a problem that states you check the easy things first.

First thing I should have done was put a new spark plug in it. I didn't because they are expensive.

I was playing around with the bike today and noticed the plug didn't have a washer on it, but had a taper for the seal. I had a not seen that before on a bike so I looked at pics of the properer plug and it has the usual washer seal. I have no idea how I didn't notice it was a BPR6EFS plug instead of an IFR8H-11. Yep. I'm a moron.

I doubt it will fix the problem but it has a much better chance of running with a plug that will actually seal and the proper reach (18mm for the one that's in it, 19mm for the proper one).

I didn't think it felt right when I kicked it...
    nuggets and mrsdnf like this.
  7. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    I don't know if I want to throw tools around the shed or dance a jig...

I've had spark for a while, put the new $35 spark plug in (apparently the later CRFs have a $70 one in them), put it in and tried to start it. Same old nothing with the occasional backfire. And it still didn't feel right when I kicked it over.

So I got the shits, locked the shed and went inside, but everyone including the cat, dog and mother in law were getting in my way and giving me the shits so I went back out to the shed and checked the timing for what must be close to the tenth time, and it was still exactly where it should be... So I put it one tooth out from where I thought it should be.

And it started on the third kick.:becca

Felt like it should when I kicked it as well.

Yesterday I changed the rear tyre, I have never had so much trouble changing one, took me an hour instead of the usual less than ten mins.

Went to change the rear pads while I was there. I bought a set off eBay that was supposedly across town, took two weeks to get here, and then I had to go to the post office and pay an extra $3.75 because they didn't put enough postage on it, and then I found out yesterday they don't fit. The idiots sent the wrong pads.:baldy
    Roofchop, nuggets and Fast Idle like this.
  8. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    20200724_154754.jpg

20200724_153432.jpg 20200724_153452.jpg

Took it for a run around the block and it seemed a bit lean, tried to adjust the fuel screw and found it was missing. So I'm hoping to pick one up tomorrow.
    nuggets and mrsdnf like this.
  9. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Well it's off to a new home now.

Put a new aftermarket fuel screw in and it ran a lot better, only got it in at 11 am, and someone was checking it out at 12 so I didn't try and set it up. So anyway the bastard of a thing decided not to start.

The kid buying it decided it wasn't worth the risk and I agreed with him saying even though he had come a long way if he had any doubts it would be better to walk away, I said I could push start it, but that won't show what it is like to start from cold, but we did it anyway.

Started up very quick and ran fine, I adjusted the idle and it sounded great, he took it for a run round the block and decided he needed it. He did shut it off and twice and it started first kick both times so he decided it was the choke (the choke doesn't stay on when you pull it out so it is almost useless) I was suspecting it was choke or wrong starting procedure but I didn't want to seem like I was pushing him to buy it and making excuses for it.

I was as honest as I could be about it and he seemed happy so that's a win.

The not so much win was me heading out as soon as the shops opened to try and get a new fuel screw, the first place I went to I had two people try and tell me they wouldn't have anything like that and I needed to go to a Honda dealer and order it through them, I tried explaining that it was a common aftermarket part for a carb that was used on every 4 stroke carbed MX and enduro bike but they new more than me and I would have to go to a Honda dealer to get it.

Second shop was fairly new so I didn't expect them to have it, but at least the guy knew what I was talking about and told me they don't even carry jets.

Third shop had one guy who was helpful and checked a secret stash but came up empty, so I drove half an hour away to the most likely place to stock one according to them, but they sold there last one on Thursday but did direct me to a shop that actually stocked them!!!

So anyway, the CRF is gone, and I'm keeping an eye out for my next bike. Hopefully something I will hold on to...
  10. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    This thread might be quite for a while.

Been keeping an eye out for a bike for my lovely wife to ride because she has said she wants to get back on a bike and the 350 isn't very appropriate for her to relearn on and the KLE is a bit heavy, was looking at CBR125s and YZF R150s etc when a 13 KTM 200 Duke came up.

Owner said it had developed an overheating problem and was selling it for $1500.

Cooling problems can be cheap and simple, or complete nightmares requiring shaved heads and new head gaskets, and from a very quick bit of research if the Duke needs the inner water pump seal replaced that requires the casses being split...

So I offered him $1300 (all the cash I had on me), he countered with $1400 so I took a punt.

20200815_162013.jpg

20200815_162022.jpg

Got it registered on Thursday, took it for a ride and it was sitting very high on the temp, didn't go down on the Highway, so yesterday I pulled the water pump cover and all was fine there, checked the thermostat and it was not opening when I tested it. So I got lucky.

The smaller Dukes have a horrible cooling system design, the thermostat is in a tee piece that has a hose that joins another tee piece just before the water pump inlet, so even when the thermostat is open a lot of coolant can bypass the radiator and so they have a reputation for running hot.

I blanked off the t at the pump and fitted a hose in place of the thermostat and it ran at a much better temp for the hour or so the wife was riding it today.

I'll be taking a while to build up funds so I can get the next project in the shed.
    nuggets, LJC, Pezz_gs and 1 other person like this.
  11. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    That is a sweet pickup tHEtREV. Happy wife aye. :D
  12. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Took the Duke out for a run last Sunday and the temp stayed in the middle of the gauge most of the day, it went up a bit when I got stuck in traffic but went down again very quickly when moving.

Fun bike, I'm hoping to take it for another test run tomorrow.

20200823_151218.jpg
    Now on to my next problem, I picked up most of a 2001 YZ125 engine, rear wheel, swing arm and shock during the week.

I've wanted a YZ125 for a while now, and a bit of research suggests the 01 engine will fit straight into the 02 to 04 frame, and the 05+ alloy frames with very minor work, so I am considering building one from used parts. this could be more expensive than starting with a complete bike, but more fun/frustrating...

The other idea I had was getting an old YZ rolling frame and fit it in that so I had a modern engine with the older look, or fitting it to an old twin shocker, adding tabs on the swing arm to run twin shocks and making a more extreme example of the above idea, only thing is the radiators will look very out of place, that is kind of why I was leaning toward an old water cooled YZ as the frame donor.

Any way I'll keep my eye out for a suitable frame and go from there...
    mrsdnf, Pezz_gs and Fast Idle like this.
  13. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    @tHEtREV I have an old YZ250F frame and swingarm under the girls cubby you're welcome to, however I think you maybe after something a little older. . . .
  14. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    That girls cubby house must house a few interesting things by now, I did consider the YZF frame because I know the engine will fit at the swingarm, but I believe they need to be modified at the front down tube so the exhaust will clear it, and that is more work than I can do.
    Pezz_gs likes this.
  15. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Well during the week I picked up a complete 97 YZ125 engine, radiators, CDI, pipe etc from a guy who had it pulled down ready to rebuild to put in a go kart or something, I decided the $400 was worth it because the parts list for missing parts for my 01 engine was well over $500 and now I have spares.

I have also been keeping an eye out for 05 and newer YZ125 frames but haven't found any, but did find an 06 YZ250F frame swingarm and subframe for $80, and considering there is so many 06 to 09 YZ250F, 450 and WR250 and 450's being wreaked parts would be easy to find, so I took a punt and grabbed it.

Yesterday i went out to clean the shed before I started because I haven't been out there in ages and crap has been piling up but got distracted seeing if the engine might fit in the frame.

20200919_090932.jpg

It looked pretty promising.

I dug around in a container of old mounts I have and found a set that bolted straight up to the front of the frame and even lined up with front engine mount. I just have to make up a couple of spacers.

Then I made some beefy head stays from some alloy box tubing, fitted the 97 head and cylinder so I could check the exhaust and it lines up well and even used an existing mount to attach and exhaust mount.
    20200920_171106.jpg

The exhaust has plenty of room too.

20200920_171115.jpg

Not sure what to do with the bottom mounts in the long run, for now I'm just going to make a bracket to bolt the existing mounts to the engine, and there is a lot of wasted space in front of the engine but it's no lower than the pipe so it may make it easier to mount a pipe guard.

20200920_171123.jpg

I've had the right hand radiator mounted and the mounts line up (well the front two) and it doesn't hit the pipe, kick starter is close to the frame but can't hit it unless I get a heap of slop in it, and the beefy mounts don't interfere with the tank (the guy I got the frame from threw in a tank).

I still need a swing arm bolt, and to machine the rear spacer thingies that it runs through the engine on (proper name escapes me at the moment and can't be bothered looking it up) out to 18mm from 17mm, then I need to put new bearings in my swing arm or get another one because I need the linkages anyway and an air box so I can see what I can do about the carb boot mounting and mount the shock to make sure it wont hit the boot routing.
    Pezz_gs, cedric and mrsdnf like this.
  16. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Well things have been pretty quite on the YZ front. I've just been getting parts. I now have 04 YZ450F forks, 03 WR250 wheels, 08 YZ250F shock and some other bits and pieces.

Going has been slow and I have given up a few times. Found an 05 YZ125 frame but it is stuck over 1000K away.

Airbox boot was a nightmare and only got sorted yesterday, picked up a 2010 pipe and it fits the frame OK, but I will need to remove it to fill the oil (it sits just above the filler cap) and I need new radiator hoses because the front right one is now to short.

Still debating weather to continue or just pick up the 05 frame and go with that...

20201212_173305.jpg

20201212_173251.jpg
    Pezz_gs and Bluetonguejak like this.
  17. offroadtoys

offroadtoys Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like it’s coming together nicely. Way to stay motivated on it though!
  18. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Nothing much has been happening, just parts gathering and slightly modding parts so they fit.

Found most of the plastics cheap, was going with white side covers and black everything else (wrong side covers were sent and correct ones will be here next week), go the brakes on and working and even started it.

It started quick but revved way to high and wouldn't shut off with the kill switch. I had that happen before with bikes with what I suspect was leaking crank seals on the air side. So I got a bit worried.

Fiddled with it a bit and found the throttle cable was to short and not letting the slide close all the way (the whole carb and throttle set up was from the 97 so I thought it would be OK), anyway, I got it to idle, but it still wasn't stopping from the kill switch. It would appear I unplugged it when putting the tank on...

So anyway the bike is about 90% done, so still about 90% to go.

The exhaust needs to be changed for a 00 to 04 (has an 05+ on it now and it needs to be removed to fill the gear box oil), new fuel tap (one I bought hits the frame because it exits back instead of forwards), new swingarm bolt and linkage bolt (I'm using steel frame ones that are a tad to short), powervalve cover (I'm sure I got one with the 97, but can't find it), new top engine mounts (current ones foul the fuel tap) and my biggest headache, the carb air boot.I made one up, but it's rubbing on the shock and there is just no room.

There is probably a few more things and here is how it stands today.

20201231_115556.jpg

20201231_115608.jpg

Looking good and getting close but my enthusiasm has been waning.

And then the project got a major setback this morning.

I woke up early and sat around on the computer, accidentally opened up Facebook market place and noticed a pic of a blue frame and engine, and no other info besides a pic of a cheap Chinese pit bike and something like "Motorbikes" in the description.

The ad had $50 but I suspected they were selling them for parts but I thought I'd ask about the blue one, a few mins later I learned it was take it all away for $50...

One pile of parts was a YZ, but I couldn't tell from the pic if it was an 85, 125 or 250, they were only 15 mins away so I decided to take a punt in the hopes I could use some parts.

So after talking to the lady she says she is getting ready to sell and they were her sons who gave the OK for them to be gotten rid of, she was going to dump them but a neighbor convinced her to put them up for sale. Looked at the bike and it was a 125, engine was mostly there except the stater cover, steel frame and it turned over!

Then she said there are some other parts in the shed if I was interested. Yes I was...

So I ended up with a piece of shit pit bike that when straight on the rubbish pile and an almost complete 2002 YZ125 (missing the coil and front wheel), I also gave her more than she was asking because it was worth it, and she seemed nice.

20201231_115230.jpg

20201231_115222.jpg

So I don't really see any advantage on continuing with the YZF hybrid when I now have more than enough to build a good YZ...

I did have a quick look at the motor and it looks like the inner head O ring let go, no other damage. I have a spare 6 speed gear box so I might put that in it (02 to 04 were 5 speeds) and use that for the YZF. But for now I think I'll be building up an 02 YZ125...
    Just4Fun11, mrsdnf, Fast Idle and 4 others like this.
  19. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Just a few small bolts and a few adjustments and I'll have a running bike.

20210102_082453.jpg

20210102_082517.jpg

Really needs new plastics, not to mention tyres and chain.
    cedric, Just4Fun11, Pezz_gs and 2 others like this.
  20. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Been a bit slack lately.

Took the YZ out a few weeks ago and hated it, so that killed my motivation.

I went through it and fixed a heap of little things I had missed (gearing, replacing the silencer (the old one had a stuffed core)plugs) and took it out yesterday and it ran a lot better but I realised I am not a 125 guy anymore.

Way to much work and I find myself going a lot faster through the bush than I do on a bigger thumper so I've put it up for sale along with what is left of the YZF/YZ project.

No idea what I am looking for next, I just passed up a killer deal on a KLX450, I'm looking for something that can chug up hills but is still fairly light but isn't to much of an overlap with my 350 EXCf. That last part made me pass on a 02 400 EXCf.

Or I may get something bigger to scare the crap out of myself to remind me why I have a 350...

20210226_140147.jpg

20210226_142402.jpg
    Pezz_gs likes this.