'02 DR650 new to me bought here in Anchorage

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by JagLite, Jul 22, 2010.

1. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just picked it up from The Family Flea Market in town.

The previous owner has done some mods and I wonder if he/she might be an inmate, a lurker, a friend or an occasional viewer. The Flea Market people said they purchased the bike from him and that he had said he also rode a BMW.

The bike is an '02 with 2k miles, blue, National fly screen, tank bags, saddle bags, and the WRONG side plates. I melted the right one on the muffler riding the 15 miles home. I had thought they looked like they were mounted wrong (moved to clear the saddle bag frame?) but after removing the saddle bags and frame (to reinstall the wifey pegs) it appears that the white side panels are not for this year DR. The shape is different than pictures of the '02 and they do not mount up. Oh, well. A used bike is always a question waiting for the answer which comes in time.

Overall the bike is great. I ordered a 14 tooth sprocket, lowered foot pegs, and handle bar risers today. Will be upgrading/stiffening the forks as soon as I can afford it as they are very soft. I had to adjust the clutch as it was not releasing fully and making gear changes more difficult. The clutch engagement was less than 1/2" from the grip so no 2 finger gear changes.

Anyone know the PO? I would like to find out if there were other mods done, and what happened to the original side panels. I have priced new ones and they are quite spendy! :eek1
  2. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have no clue but welcome! Now go get it dirty!
  3. Tedo

Tedo n00b

Oddometer:
    I would be the PO and 2nd owner of this bike. I bought it November '08 from the original owner and put about 1300 miles on last summer. Side plates are the ones that were on it when i purchased it unless changed after I sold it-no melt downs experienced. The windshield was off another bike I had and it kept a few bugs, rocks, etc. off and the price was right. I added a magnetic oil drain plug, bash plate, and a new tail light (DR 350) as the original went TU after some miles on gravel roads. I put the Dirt Bags on last summer but never had the oportunity to use them due to the pursuit of legal tender occupying much of my summer so no long trips taken. Hatcher Pass, Burma Road, local back roads were the extent of my travels. The knobby tires were put on the bike when purchased from the dealer in Wasilla so what ever miles are on the bike is same for tires. I gave the original tires and a CD service manual to the buyer, hope he passed them along. I changed the oil, oil filter, lubed chain and rode it, no chopping air boxes or rejetting done to it. Its a bullet proof bike and averaged ~55MPG but I don't need two bikes. Good luck with it.
  4. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tedo!
    Last night I was looking the bike over and decided to take pictures of it with the incorrect side covers in place since I had removed them. Can you guess?

Yep... :rofl The Flea Market must have removed them and reinstalled them (wait for it) on the wrong sides! Once I put them where they were supposed to be, they fit fine. :clap Of course, the left side is now melted since it was on the right side and sitting tight on the muffler but it is not too bad. I will heat it up and bend it back into shape and trim it as needed. Funny though.

Is the seat stock? I wonder since it doesn't say Suzuki on it anywhere.

No, they didn't give me the original tires but that's ok since I like the tires on it just fine and when they wear out I will get something that is better recommended than the stockers.

I asked about an owners manual and they dug around and found the CD for me. No registration paper though. Is there some good hiding place on the bike for regi & insurance card that I haven't found? I pulled the seat off, looked in the tool kit and anywhere I though it might be hiding with no success.

I like the bike and look forward to a lot of day adventure trips on it. I do need to get stiffer fork springs soon though, it is sagged down about 4". May make spacer tubes until that happens.
  5. Rackemcrackem

Rackemcrackem Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Congratulations on your new ride! I saw the ad for your new bike and thought the deal seemed quite reasonable.

I've been very happy with my DR since buying her last November with just over a thousand miles. She has now traveled from Oklahoma, all over the Southwest, up to Idaho and last week, to the Oregon coast and to Seattle. Over seven thousand miles with nary a hiccup. She is on her way to Cordova via barge this week...yay!

The aftermarket side case motor covers are a worthwhile investment. It seems that a left side drop will almost inevitably cause the shifter lever to dent or puncture the motor case, as I can attest. Stainless steel plates are available from Procycle. I don't remember from the ad whether your bike came with a skid plate or not, but that seems like a no-brainer addition to me, as is a set of brushguard/handguards.

I'm planning to check my neutral sending switch soon, to see if the screws are tight, as they seem to not be thread locked at the factory. Otherwise, with a little basic maintainence, you should have a great bike for many miles and smiles to come!

Terry
  6. flybynitetours

flybynitetours Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an '02 DR I bought in jan '05. My PO put a Two Brothers pipe on and rejetted it (poorly). It probably did have more power than stock but I only got about 30mpg, and the pipe was too loud for me. Friar Mike and Toddy put it back to tweeked stock which I like a lot. The '02 is apparently the last year with a paper base gasket which typically goes bad at around 10K miles. I rode the last 1000 miles last fall with an oil seep, lost about 1/2 qt oil in 1 K miles. I called it my "virtual Harley". Friar Mike fixed the base gasket over the winter and it feels fine now. rw
  7. Tedo

Tedo n00b

Oddometer:
    Located the owners manual and other assorted paperwork including a copy of original invoice from dealer, I am in Wasilla if you want to pick them up. I passed on the registration when sold, it was laminated and stowed in the Suzuki bag but may have migrated to some other location, not unlike the side panels.:huh The seat is stock and ahhh.... firm.
  8. Rackemcrackem

Rackemcrackem Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer:
    As I'm sure you know, there is mucho material regarding forks and shocks in the DR specific threads. Cannot imagine why there is 4" of fork sag, though. That seems excessive. Maybe your bike has been lowered?

I've been able to carry a pillion for a day ride on my unlowered, stock suspended DR, for a total of 350ish lbs. without issues. It may not have been ideal for the suspension but it worked OK on decent pavement and power was adequate.
  9. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info all.
    Tedo, I would like to pick up the stuff you found. Not sure when I can get out to the valley next, but will let you know so that I can fetch it.

What is the "Suzuki bag" you said had the registration in?

Rackemcrackem, thanks for the side case protection recommendation. I just ordered a few parts from Procycle and saw the case savers but didn't order them.... yet. I have a GSXR 750 that has the stator cover punched from the PO laying it down and that dumb side cover is expensive! The bike was a wreck and I just bought it for the engine so I keep watch online for a used piece I can afford.

The fork sag of 4" is perhaps an exaggeration :eek1 but it is enough that the bike will fall over when on the kick stand if I am not very careful that it is on a level surface, AND that I pull the forks to extension by leaning it back and over on the stand. Probably only 3" or so. I looked at the rear shock and the rear hasn't been lowered so I doubt the front has been done.

Now that I have the bike, it has hardly stopped raining here. But I am very busy working 7 days a week so I get little time to ride anyway. The weekend job is coming to an end soon and then I will be able to go exploring. I haven't made the trip to Hatcher Pass for lunch and then over to Willow in many years so that is one of the first rides I plan.

My wife, who does (did) ride prefers to be a passenger so a lot of my exploring will be two up. Good reason to do the suspension next.