03 DRZs - Lip!

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by skadamo, Dec 21, 2004.

1. skadamo

skadamo I like riding

Oddometer:
  2. Scalzitti

Scalzitti Adventure Driven

Oddometer:
    I might be interested, too. Here's a few dumb questions from a thumper want to be. Is this a good deal? The price seems a bit high. What would be a great deal? Can an inseam challenged boy (32") straddle this bike? I just tried a KLR650 on for size and it was tip toes. Is flat footing the bike a big deal in a thunper? I just have this image of myself searching for a footing on rough terrain and then sloely falling over. I noticed that the pictures show this on a stand - is there a kickstand too? Let's start with these. Thanks, Larry
  3. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Larry,

As a DR350 owner ('97 SE), this looks like a pretty good deal. I paid $2700 for my bike (with 1300 miles on it 20 months ago). If you could get him to knock off a $150, I'd call that a great deal, especially with the mods he's done. At an identical inseam measurement (I don't consider myself "challenged" :D ), you should be able to get on this bike. However, you may find yourself on your toes (but not tip-toes) in certain situations. If that makes you feel uncomfortable, you can get lowering links from Norm Kouba: http://www.koubalink.com/ I'm not sure if there's a kickstand (there should be). He may have removed it. You can Search for other data at: http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/ibf/ if you Register.

Hope this helps - Dave.
  4. skadamo

skadamo I like riding

Oddometer:
    7 months ago I bought my '03 DRZs for $3800. I thought I got a good deal. It was very clean and had 600 dirt miles on it.

The only thing my drz had over this one is a yosh slip on exhaust and jet kit.

If the bike is in good shape 2850 is a good deal. If he comes down it is a great deal. imho.

I have a 32 inch inseam...I'm barely flat foot...no problem. The suspension is soft so it squats down when you get on. DRZ's are pussy cats in the dirt, easy to ride. They also have good power if you dial up the trottle.
  5. skadamo

skadamo I like riding

Oddometer:
    hey, are you the same bronco I talked to before on thumpertalk a while back? I recognize the '97 DR350
  6. Scalzitti

Oddometer:
    I did a little checking on thumpertalk.com and I'll bet this is the same bike. From the sound of this thread the bike has frame damage that has not been addressed. It's off my list.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203737

Here's the highlights of the message posted 12/04/04:

Trashed DRZ400S is done (YIPEEEEE)!!!!!!! The messed up 2003 DRZ400S that I bought in a garage in the dark for $1800 is almost done. I rode it today and put about 30 miles on it. This bike was absolutely trashed when I got it.. Complete basket case below. the rear fender taillight and blinkers were destroyed so I made a homeboy special Total cost for rear license bracket, taillight, and blinker was $28.

The only downside: nasty ding in lower frame and wow I forgot how weak the stock DRZ400S motor is.. Will need lots of mods and $$$$$$. Save all that for after Christmas.

It gets worse. Here's an earlier post on the bike. Again edited for effect.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200529

2003 DRZ ohhh my what a mess!!!! Ok so a freind of mine tells me of this great deal on a 2003 DRZ400S for $1800 with 7K miles that runs great. I thought sure I will bite. So after looking at it in a dark garage late at night it looked really nice. The bike had never been off-road but had been laid down on the street. . The magneto cover was broken and a ding in the frame but I managed to get it running and thought cool... .

Then I get it home and Saturday morning in daylight in my shop... OH Sh*$!!! . What a mess. The bike was never and I mean never washed. The brakes had been run to the rotors (couldn't see that in the dark). The swingarm slider was worn through and now actually wearing on the swingarm. Upper roller bearing worn through and actually groving the bolt (this was a new one). Tires of course were original and worn through the tread (I did see this prior). Front brake rotor bent and Forks out of alignment on triple clamp (do not look to be bent), Engine Case scored from CS sprocket (not bad but still there and not leaking--- I fixed it with JB weld and ordered a case guard).

Needless to say I have ordered over $600 in parts including new case cover, sprockets, chain slider, roller bearings, brake pads, rotor, tires (Pirelli MT21's).

THE AMAZING PART OF THE STORY.. THE ENGINE IS PERFECT.. NO NOISE, NO SMOKE and RUNS FLAWLESSLY. THE Guy even had records of oil changes and new air filter (which was spotless)

This was a wierd purchase and would I have known, I probably would have passed.

I have been riding for 20 years and let this be a lesson.. NEVER BUY A BIKE IN THE DARK BECAUSE A FRIEND SAID IT LOOKS CLEAN.. NEVER AGAIN.
  7. skadamo

skadamo I like riding

Oddometer:
    Man, nice researching!

I feel bad for even pointing that thing out...
  8. RubberDown

RubberDown Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  9. Scalzitti

Oddometer:
    Skadamo - Don't feel bad. I was ready to pull the trigger and a voice said, take a few minutes to see if you can find something out about the seller. I went to the link for his name and then read through his old posts. What's the old saying - something like don't shit where you eat!

I'm still interested in a similar bike. Riding with you guys on Saturday has me excited about buying a thumper to learn some dirt skills that I really need to pick up.
  10. LIP

LIP Open Mouth and insert LEG

Oddometer:
    I was out most of the day. My Mom is battling cancer for the 2nd time and I spent the day at her chemo treatment. Felt like a kid that was grounded for the day. Made my Mom very happy to have company, so I did my good deed for the day.

2 things.

The DRZ 400 S is on my list of potential bikes, and thanks for the tip Skads.

Larry: Thanks for checking on this for you or me and not letting either of us make a bad purchase. I just sent you an e mail about next week - long and short is I have to bail. Kid duty which was not on the list....

LIP : )
  11. skadamo

skadamo I like riding

Oddometer:
    Good man. Hey, I wish your mom the best in her recovery. I hate that damn disease.

Let me know if you guys want to take a spin on my DRZ and we'll meet out by Little John's. I'll continue to keep an eye out...
  12. kfsinc

kfsinc Chaingolian Observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best of luck with your mom Lip!

kfs
  13. Fireman88

Fireman88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lip:

Your mom will be in our thoughts and prayers!
  14. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Skadamo - yeah, it's me (from TT and MaxZuki). We've traded e-mails, too. I decided to stop lurking and contribute.

Larry, good catch. I visited the site that has pictures of the bike. I was wondering why there was a pic of the engine side cover on there. I guess I should have looked more closely.

My DR is asleep for the winter (well, not really but it'll be tough to pull it and the trailer out of the garage). Look forward to riding with you guys when the nice weather returns. :nod